Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 31, 2004
Kizmiaz
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
BOMBERS & Newton Heath!
From todays Herald-Sun

The Tigers have firmed dramatically for the wooden spoon and are now firm favourites to finish last.

Richmond has assumed wooden spoon favouritism at $2.20 at TAB Sportsbet after Carlton's shock win against Melbourne. The Tigers were $8 for the spoon before Round 1. The Blues are now $2.75 for the spoon.

(NB: $8.00 into $2.20!)

One Centrebet punter will be on good terms with himself after placing $4000 on Richmond at $8 to win the spoon.

Bookies rarely get it wrong. Guess the message is get on now before they get into red figures.

VANDA said:
From todays Herald-Sun

The Tigers have firmed dramatically for the wooden spoon and are now firm favourites to finish last.

Richmond has assumed wooden spoon favouritism at $2.20 at TAB Sportsbet after Carlton's shock win against Melbourne. The Tigers were $8 for the spoon before Round 1. The Blues are now $2.75 for the spoon.

(NB: $8.00 into $2.20!)

One Centrebet punter will be on good terms with himself after placing $4000 on Richmond at $8 to win the spoon.

Bookies rarely get it wrong. Guess the message is get on now before they get into red figures.

You're an idiot. Get a life moron.

Richmond a big chance.

wooden spoon in 2004. Then 10 wins in 2005, which possibly makes them think they are a bit better than what they are, hence they don't make as many changes to fix the problems...

...Very similar to Carlton in '05. The Blues had 4 wins in 2003, then (like Richmond) won 10 the next year, possibly making them think they are a bit better than what they are, and they were exposed the next year, finishing last. Similar to St.Kilda in 2000. The Saints went 10-12 in '99, and because of their success in '97-98, they thought they were better positioned than what they were (thinking that 1999 was an abberation), hence they didn't fix the problems. The result? A wooden spoon in 2000.

Also Similar to Hawthorn in 2003. The Hawks went 11-11 in '02, and because of their success in 2001, they thought they were better positioned than what they were, hence they didn't fix the problems. They "thought", in 2002 that they were a contender for the flag that just had a bad year, and didn't fix the problems of WHY they only went 11-11. The result in 2003? Four wins.

Richmond, Brisbane, Melbourne are the teams to watch for last spot, as they have most of the hallmarks of recent wooden spoon teams. Carlton won't get it. Carlton are the lazy person's pick to finish last.

itsintheblood said:
Im prepared to lay big bucks on your mob not making the 8 again. Mr Diver was showing his wares again in the diving stakes in rd 1. Mr one man band. Loves looking at himself on the scoreboard doesnt he vandatroll?

Speaking of one-man bands..........hows your forward line looking? :rolleyes:

itsintheblood said:
Im prepared to lay big bucks on your mob not making the 8 again. Mr Diver was showing his wares again in the diving stakes in rd 1. Mr one man band. Loves looking at himself on the scoreboard doesnt he vandatroll?

I told you last week.. youre not sitting as pretty as you think...

Personally i think we will finish bottom 3.. and we might win the spoon this year...

But even so were miles ahead of Richmond......

Different age cycle on important players thats all....

MILES AHEAD!!!!:D

I guess they're the most obvious choice considering the other cellar-dwellars, Hawthorn and Carlton got up, and Collingwood did OK for 3 quarters.

I'll be laying the Tigers on Betfair, in 3-4 weeks I'll guarantee another team will emerge as the favourite. (EDIT: Just checked, Tigers are 3.65, Carlton 2.82 for the spoon)

VANDA said:
Bookies rarely get it wrong. .

Except for when it comes to the odds the post for North Melbourne each week (and stuff like making the 8). Always best bet of the week (we paid $9 for our win over Port!)

TheHeatleyStand said:
I told you last week.. youre not sitting as pretty as you think...

Personally i think we will finish bottom 3.. and we might win the spoon this year...

But even so were miles ahead of Richmond......

Different age cycle on important players thats all....

MILES AHEAD!!!!:D

Mate, seriously, you are not MILES ahead of anyone. Melbourne are on the decline and have a few ageing players. You would have been just as smashed as we were if you played the bulldogs. They are simply awesome.

itsintheblood said:
Your captain is an embarrasment. Selfish diving show pony who loves his face on the scoreboard.

Your club has just gone from having Wayne Campbell to Sugar Kane Johnson as captain.............so i can completely understand your bitterness. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VANDA said:
Your club has just gone from having Wayne Campbell to Sugar Kane Johnson as captain.............so i can completely understand your bitterness. :)

So LLoyd's begun his training for the bejing olympics early I can see? The diving team spot is up for grabs?

itsintheblood said:
So LLoyd's begun his training for the bejing olympics early I can see? The diving team spot is up for grabs?

You're really struggling arent you IITB? :D

Been a rough couple of days for you hasnt it?

Seeing that this seems to be a Bomber-led thread (yet another one, Vanda!), I'll drop in an interesting stat that I recently posted on the Richmond Board.

These scores are taken from the first 8 weeks of the 2004 season and show how quickly Essendon turned around a terrible (and familiar looking) Round 1 scoreline :

Take special note of their respective opponents in Rounds 2 & 3 ... again very familiar for us Tiger fans.

Round 1.
Port Adel 2.6 7.13 15.16 23.20 (158)
Essendon 1.5 2.6 6.12 8.14 (62)

Round 2
St Kilda 3.5 5.10 7.15 13.16 (94)
Essendon 2.3 3.5 5.9 8.12 (60)

Round 3
Essendon 8.0 10.1 16.3 22.5 (137)
West Coast 3.0 7.5 15.8 20.11 (131)

Round 4
Essendon 1.3 5.8 13.11 17.15 (117)
Carlton 3.3 6.6 7.7 12.8 (80)

Round 5
Essendon 5.3 8.6 13.7 17.10 (112)
Collingwood 1.2 6.5 10.9 11.13 (79)

Round 6
Essendon 5.6 7.8 12.10 16.12 (108)
Sydney 4.3 4.6 8.7 15.8 (98)

Round 7
Essendon 5.2 10.6 15.7 18.13 (121)
W Bulldogs 3.2 7.5 11.9 14.11 (95)

Round 8
Essendon 7.4 10.9 14.11 20.15 (135)
Adelaide 2.4 5.6 7.12 12.12 (84)

So after sitting in 16th position with a percentage of 38 after Round 1, the Bombers were 6-2 less than two months later.

GhostofJimJess said:
Seeing that this seems to be a Bomber-led thread (yet another one, Vanda!), I'll drop in an interesting stat that I recently posted on the Richmond Board.

These scores are taken from the first 8 weeks of the 2004 season and show how quickly Essendon turned around a terrible (and familiar looking) Round 1 scoreline :

Take special note of their respective opponents in Rounds 2 & 3 ... again very familiar for us Tiger fans.

Round 1.
Port Adel 2.6 7.13 15.16 23.20 (158)
Essendon 1.5 2.6 6.12 8.14 (62)

Round 2
St Kilda 3.5 5.10 7.15 13.16 (94)
Essendon 2.3 3.5 5.9 8.12 (60)

Round 3
Essendon 8.0 10.1 16.3 22.5 (137)
West Coast 3.0 7.5 15.8 20.11 (131)

Round 4
Essendon 1.3 5.8 13.11 17.15 (117)
Carlton 3.3 6.6 7.7 12.8 (80)

Round 5
Essendon 5.3 8.6 13.7 17.10 (112)
Collingwood 1.2 6.5 10.9 11.13 (79)

Round 6
Essendon 5.6 7.8 12.10 16.12 (108)
Sydney 4.3 4.6 8.7 15.8 (98)

Round 7
Essendon 5.2 10.6 15.7 18.13 (121)
W Bulldogs 3.2 7.5 11.9 14.11 (95)

Round 8
Essendon 7.4 10.9 14.11 20.15 (135)
Adelaide 2.4 5.6 7.12 12.12 (84)

So after sitting in 16th position with a percentage of 38 after Round 1, the Bombers were 6-2 less than two months later.

Only problem is.............your Club is not that good.

A complete nonsense response from you really that is only designed to inspire a false hope in your fellow supporters. I hope you also posted on your Board the numerous occaisons in which some Clubs havnt managed a win at all or perhaps only one win in the first 8 rounds of a season????

itsintheblood said:
Mate, seriously, you are not MILES ahead of anyone. Melbourne are on the decline and have a few ageing players. You would have been just as smashed as we were if you played the bulldogs. They are simply awesome.

Except we beat them. Their coach was furios, stormed off the ground and refused to speak to the media. Doggies put their best team forward and we beat them. My god you are the dumbest person on BF. All you can do is write innane insults at people. Your team is crap, pull your head in.

Personally I'd be more worried about the Tiges making the 8 if they were 8-0 after the first eight rounds. Far more likely to lose the last 14 that way.

If the Tiges get into a 4-4 position by round 8, they may actually finish the year off alright. All this talk of spoons and premierships after round 1 is quite amusing.

VANDA said:
Only problem is.............your Club is not that good.

A complete nonsense response from you really that is only designed to inspire a false hope in your fellow supporters. I hope you also posted on your Board the numerous occaisons in which some Clubs havnt managed a win at all or perhaps only one win in the first 8 rounds of a season????

Well, we're damned if we do and damned if we don't then aren't we.

We've got all of these opposition nitwits poking and prodding for a reaction, fueling the flames of discontent, and then sitting back criticising all of the subsequent fireworks when a team's supporters engage in self-negativity and pessimism about their fortunes. And then we've we got dopey mofos from the wife-beating belt like yourself getting snitchy when supporters alternatively want to cast a bit of a positive light on an otherwise disastrous start to the season.

So what is it then? Should we denigrate our troops and start cutting throats after one s**tful loss, or should we bunk them up regardless and try and make a case for not throwing in the season?

Because, like all of the bottom eight teams on the ladder, at the minute it seems a no-win situation.

itsintheblood said:
gold!!!!,he's trying so hard to be another Greg Louganis.:D

greg086a.jpg

Lidge said:
Except for when it comes to the odds the post for North Melbourne each week (and stuff like making the 8). Always best bet of the week (we paid $9 for our win over Port!)

Its the weight of money as much as the bookies opinion. The Pies are nearly always tighter than they should be.

Arent you the same poster who predicted Essendon would NOT win one of their opening 3 games?

How can I predict what umpires will do?

You best get your medical staff down to the local skateboard shop and order a set of elbow and knee pads for the prima donna.

I also predicted that the Swans were overratted and will fall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers Spoon Plunge.........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back