Tim O'Brien: Corner turned. 2yr extension announced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Highlight for me was his defensive spoil to save a certain goal. Worked his ass off to get there.

Took a mark on the wing about forty seconds before. Ran at least 100m to get to that spoil.

Inspirational.

Here's an interesting conundrum...
If Port Adelaide come to us at the end of the year (don't think the Crows need a Fwd) would we entertain a trade say for a high 1st rounder or early 2nd.
We would have to think about wouldn't we?
Or back to the Crows in a deal to secure Jake Lever maybe?

May as well ask for them to throw Sloane in as steak knives.

Does some know if he put on a bit of size?
from the article linked to previously:

"This is my fifth year in the system now. I've been around for a little while and I'm starting to get the body I need to play the position that I'm playing," O'Brien said.

The club has had high hopes for O'Brien since he came to the club. Some with functioning memories may recall that he was given a contract extension in his first year at the club, even though he was contracted for another 18 months (Ryan Burton also had his contract extended during his first year at the club).

Again, it goes to show that the old maxim that tall players take time still holds true (extremely talented players like Franklin and Roughead are two exceptions to that maxim).

Hopefully his performance yesterday is at worst his baseline going into the future. People have been quick to flip to praise him, but no doubt the flip to bag him will be even quicker if he doesn't back it up ongoing.

The club has had high hopes for O'Brien since he came to the club. Some with functioning memories may recall that he was given a contract extension in his first year at the club, even though he was contracted for another 18 months (Ryan Burton also had his contract extended during his first year at the club).

Again, it goes to show that the old maxim that tall players take time still holds true (extremely talented players like Franklin and Roughead are two exceptions to that maxim).

Need to give TOB another contract extension now. He's out of contract at the end of the year.

A little harsh :)
Quite a few players in the afl that are best 12 for their club would have struggled to unseat anyone in the forward line over the last couple of years.
We get a ready made player with hunger for the contest now rather than a 20yr old baby giraffe who only needed time.
#23isback
The old skool Hawthorm way.

At worst his baseline? Do you even football? TOB has always had the talent. He will be better next year.
I'm saying hopefully what we saw yesterday is his minimum standard. That when he plays a "bad game" from now on that it is much closer to this than what we used to get from him. And that his "good games" are even better than yesterday.

I'm saying hopefully what we saw yesterday is his minimum standard. That when he plays a "bad game" from now on that it is much closer to this than what we used to get from him. And that his "good games" are even better than yesterday.
If that's his bad game then we are going to have to start calling him the duck.

R

Roughead wasn't an overnight success - he took a bit of time. Used to jump like a basketballer at times, and was just a bit unco. As for Franklin, well...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that's his bad game then we are going to have to start calling him the duck.
Haha was a bit much. Point I was trying to make is that we need him to be consistently good. It won't be good enough if yesterday's performance isn't more than a once in a blue moon kind of thing.

If his bad games include 5 contested marks then he'll be one of the all time greats.

R

Roughead wasn't an overnight success - he took a bit of time. Used to jump like a basketballer at times, and was just a bit unco. As for Franklin, well...

True. But Roughead kicked 75 goals in his fourth season. O'Brien is in his fourth and is finally harnessing his talent.

True. But Roughead kicked 75 goals in his fourth season. O'Brien is in his fourth and is finally harnessing his talent.
Rough also had 58 games under his belt before 2008
Timmy won't ever be Rough, won't get the size but he can can jump higher, better aerialist and better set shot.

It was fun watching him on the weekend if he's turned the corner should provide plenty of highlights

Hopefully his performance yesterday is at worst his baseline going into the future. People have been quick to flip to praise him, but no doubt the flip to bag him will be even quicker if he doesn't back it up ongoing.
**** if thats his baseline We have ourselves one of the best CHF in the game.

Good West Coast, shit the following week, beast this week.

Let's not go the way of the media and calling him the next Hudson or the next Thorp on the back of single performances.

He's young, he's showed a bit but the gun if firmly in the holster of saying he's arrived.

He's had 2 very good games. The end, (at this stage)

I was a doubter but seeing lots of good signs so far this year.

He was always good mark on the lead and kick for goal, but he's now adding contested marking to his game.

Not expecting him to dominate every week, but just compete and bring the ball to ground for the smalls, or lead out to the wings as our outlet from defense.

Hope he can build from here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tim O'Brien: Corner turned. 2yr extension announced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back