Tim O'Brien: Corner turned. 2yr extension announced.

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope we sort out the second ruck role sooner rather than later.
As fun as it is watching him, jumping into guys that are 15-20kg heavier will only lead to an injury.
Vickery coming good soon is a priority for me to keep TOB healthy now he has unshackled himself.
...he probably likes tucking for all I know????

Anyone got any first hand knowledge on his desires or lack of for the ruck role?

As an opposition coach you would only put one of your KPD on him if he started tearing up the game.
There's no way I would let Gunners, Rough & especially BB to have the 3rd defender inside 50 to mark the footy.
The best bet would be to get an aggressive runner with him & force him up the ground & get him away from taking marks for a shot on goal.
I would rather see him get 20 posessions up the ground & a few marks than 12 posessions 8 marks 3 goals & create scoring opportunities for our smalls as an opposition coach.
I think it was Hunt on him in the first half, who is a runner as you describe, but he moved forward in the third.

Can you imagine if we did! 7 game rebuild before back to winning flags. Opposition supporters would implode!
Whilst we won't rebuild in 7 games ( we all wish), don't put it past Clarko to have us in the mix from 2019 onwards. The blokes a genius.

he is almost unbeatable when given a run at the marking contest.
And you can see he is jumping with so much confidence, like he finally realises that he is meant to be doing what he is doing.
Really enjoying watching him blossom this year. Amazing what confidence can do to a player.

I think we can have both TOB and TV in the same side.
TV takes the Hale role as a forward/part time ruck man.
TOB is more of a flanker coming in from the side of a pack to take marks. Also being a link man marking further up field. Bit like a tall Buckenara.

I think we can have both TOB and TV in the same side.
TV takes the Hale role as a forward/part time ruck man.
TOB is more of a flanker coming in from the side of a pack to take marks. Also being a link man marking further up field. Bit like a tall Buckenara.
What about Shcoey?

I hope we sort out the second ruck role sooner rather than later.
As fun as it is watching him, jumping into guys that are 15-20kg heavier will only lead to an injury.
Vickery coming good soon is a priority for me to keep TOB healthy now he has unshackled himself.
...he probably likes tucking for all I know????

Anyone got any first hand knowledge on his desires or lack of for the ruck role?

So someone had a similar idea to mine with upgrading & selecting Fitzy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How quickly we forget.

Lake is one of the best contested marking defenders of all time.
Lake is a weird one as he does take his marks in contested situations, but the ease at which he out bodies his opponent, it actually looks uncontested.

There was a game he played last year when l thought for the first time he showed real intent and desire (Sic, you listening?)
needed to play the game and bit by bit he has improved, more mentally l think than anything else. l for one never thought
he'd make it, its a credit to himself and Hawthorn for their perseverance.

How quickly we forget.

Lake is one of the best contested marking defenders of all time.

Completely agree. It is different though as a defender versus a forward. No one is trying to stop you marking as a defender...

The Fitzpatrick inclusion made little sense to begin with and after watching the game I stand by that view. O'Brien is doing a good job as the 2nd ruckman. He leaps, competes well, and most importantly it keeps him in the game! He still has those 10-15 minutes where he goes missing but pushing him into the ruck really forces him to stay engaged. I hope he goes back to sharing the duties with McEvoy next week.

The Fitzpatrick inclusion made little sense to begin with and after watching the game I stand by that view. O'Brien is doing a good job as the 2nd ruckman. He leaps, competes well, and most importantly it keeps him in the game! He still has those 10-15 minutes where he goes missing but pushing him into the ruck really forces him to stay engaged. I hope he goes back to sharing the duties with McEvoy next week.

Agreed.

McEvoy has hit a new level this year, and O'Brien does just fine in small spells in the ruck.

I have been a doubter but very pleased to see he is finally presenting himself and has found confidence and taking the game on.

Always thought he was a step or two behind Sicily in development, but has now suddenly lept ahead and with great team attitude.

Another solid game by O'Brien today. Really starting to string some good games together now. Great to see.

I think he actually performs better pinch hitting in the ruck. I do wonder if we are better replacing Fitzy with TV, so that TV and TOB swap ruck roles and play forwards, while Big Boy can ruck and play the floating around the ground game where he shines.

Also means we would never have to have Roughie in the ruck. He can do it, but he is far more damaging as a midfielder, if not playing forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tim O'Brien: Corner turned. 2yr extension announced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back