Tim O'Brien: Corner turned. 2yr extension announced.

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO he will always be an almost player.

Those big marks he flys for he takes one of them every 6 weeks.

If he took those marks 3 to 4 times a game he would have been a top 5 pick.

The fact he went at 28 pretty much sums him up.

No trade value and not gunna make it.

Unfortunately we don't have much else so he probably has to stay on the list unless we get Lynch.

Timmy's turned so many corners but he's still looking for the perfect parking spot.

I think we need someone to give him some angry pills, or kick him in the nuts 5 minutes before the game, or scratch his car, or whatever it is that makes him play with some anger and passion and hunger for the contest. He's got the ability to be a player, but just lacks something to put it together.

5 touches and 2 marks today.

If it were up to me I'd stamp his papers and play him in the twos for the rest of the year before sending him on his way because mentally he doesn't have what it takes. Perhaps a change of club may convince him to hang onto those marks he is so loathe to take, but I see no future for him at Hawthorn. If six years on the list isn't enough to get his shit together then it ain't gonna happen.
I hope to god he hasn't read this thread. He'd never get enough confidence to step outside his front door.

Today he seemed to play more out of the goalsquare, at least he was in the play a few times, created a few contests (against a fantastic Port defence). I'd like to see him played there from now on. Tim has shown that he can be a really effective key forward in a handful of games over his career, but that as a high-half-forward-flank-role-player he's mediocre - he just seems lost.

Playing without much confidence, but just a few marks could change that.

Has so many defending his lack of effort compared to Schoey, yet Schoey has delievered far more over his journey with the Hawks, even at a comparable age. I can only imagine Schoey would have shined more if used as a forward like TOB has, rather than being played on the monster forwards who would have pummeled his confidence.

Even if TOB played every second game like he did against the Dees last year I’d be willing to think that he had promise. I hate writing off our players - but where he sits right now he’s proving his doubters more and more right than his defenders.

Last edited:
I tend to agree, I'd rather be getting games into Mitchell Lewis to see if there's something to work with.
Lewis isn't ready, went back and had a great game though which is what you want.
The attitude of being dropoed and playing good is important but also the development for the player, the confidence is important

He is just a kid he has time to grow, next time uo he bbn will be better he had a taste of the next level

Can’t believe people think that effort is a negotiable act!! It isn’t, so put that aside, Melbourne demons would be scratching their f***ing heads!!! Honestly, please Clarko pick Schoenmakers from here on in.
Couldn't pick him this week will be interesting to see if he's good to go next week

I wonder if a glove might help those marks stick. A legal one, not a Cloke one.

Not sure what the match committee is doing selecting TO, Cegs and McEvoy....

Surely with McEvoy and Cegs we have the ruck covered and a tall forward option that can bring the ball to ground; hence a more mobile lead-up player who can help straighten us up, like Schoey, might be a better punt; or adding another midfielder, like Cuz or Lovell.

Anyway, TO's 9 games this year have provided the following averages:
- Kicks (7.1)
- Handballs (3.7)
- Disposals (10.8)
- Marks (2.8)
- Hit Outs (2.6)
- Tackles (1.6)
- Goals (0.3)

Would love to know what the club is expecting of him in games. It's clearly not getting the ball, kicking goals, taking marks or providing forward pressure. Perhaps it is providing decoy leads. Do any of the AFL data companies provide a stat on 'leads not honoured'?
Hawthorn Football Club, 2018 Average Marks:

Sicily 7.4
Smith 6.5
Henderson 6
Duryea 5.5
Whitecross 5.5
Mirra 5.4
Hardwick 5.4
Gunston 5.3
Howe 4.9
Morrison 4.9
Burton 4.5
Frawley 4.4
Mitchell 4.3
Roughead 4.3
O'Meara 4.1
McEvoy 4.0
Burgoyne 4.0
Stratton 3.9
Shiels 3.7
Bruest 3.5
Impey 3.4
Cousins 3.3
O'Brien 2.8
Schoenmakers 2.0
Ceglar 2.0
Lewis 1.0

Story of our season right there.

I'm as disappointed with Timmy as anyone, but you can't really read much into a list like this any more.

When teams are taking so many uncontested marks in the back half, and our strategy to move the ball forward is to bomb it into a heap of congestion, a mark isn't always a mark, if you know what I mean.

Sicily 7.4
Smith 6.5
Henderson 6
Duryea 5.5
Whitecross 5.5
Mirra 5.4
Hardwick 5.4
Gunston 5.3
Howe 4.9
Morrison 4.9
Burton 4.5
Frawley 4.4
Mitchell 4.3
Roughead 4.3
O'Meara 4.1
McEvoy 4.0
Burgoyne 4.0
Stratton 3.9
Shiels 3.7
Bruest 3.5
Impey 3.4
Cousins 3.3
O'Brien 2.8
Schoenmakers 2.0
Ceglar 2.0
Lewis 1.0

If TOB could convert a 2-3 of his nearly marks into actual marks his value to the team would increase substantially.

There were probably 4-5 marking contests where he got two hands to the ball but didn't manage to make any stick. Not sure if it's a mental thing or his lack of strength, but if he wants to continue his career in the AFL he's going to have to find a way because at this stage he's getting a game purely because we have no one else.

Sicily 7.4
Smith 6.5
Henderson 6
Duryea 5.5
Whitecross 5.5
Mirra 5.4
Hardwick 5.4
Gunston 5.3
Howe 4.9
Morrison 4.9
Burton 4.5
Frawley 4.4
Mitchell 4.3
Roughead 4.3
O'Meara 4.1
McEvoy 4.0
Burgoyne 4.0
Stratton 3.9
Shiels 3.7
Bruest 3.5
Impey 3.4
Cousins 3.3
O'Brien 2.8
Schoenmakers 2.0
Ceglar 2.0
Lewis 1.0

Unfair to put schoe, ceglar and lewis in the list they barely played.

I thought he was a little better today. For me, his repeat efforts looked better. His last few games in the 1s I thought he dropped out of the contest too easily after an almost mark.

His almost marks were a bit exciting today. I'd like to see him get a few more almost marks. Does he get a rest next week or go back to Box Hill? Or is that not allowed as he played AFL this week?

The only thing he did that really disappointed me was his set shot in the 1st quarter(?) after he took a nice uncontested mark. When you're TO'B, you can't be missing low angle 40m set shots at goal.

When he was lining up to take that kick, I thought it was like he was turning on his ignition switch. Unfortunately, he missed so the battery was flat again, and there was no start. A goal, and maybe, just maybe he might have been confident enough to have a good afternoon, but no! Timmy is just Timmy, I'm afraid. Bring Lewis back after the bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have followed this guy closely over the last few years, would have loved to have seen him make it.

He simply doesn't work hard enough and doesn't have a natural feel for the game, I would guess he was drafted on athletic potential rather than great game sence.

Th the key problem with him is a lack of confidence, he lacks presence and I would guess is introverted on the field, he goes missing for long periods of time in games and teammates don't look for him.

Feel for the young guy but he has had 6 years to prove he can play at this level, it is a reflection on the standard of AFL football in 2018 that a guy like this can be on a list, 20 years ago this wouldn't have happened. The talent pool has been thinned , local football and junior football has suffered.

"Get used to it punters, the top end will be great the TOB's of the world will continue to frustrate "

Unfair to put schoe, ceglar and lewis in the list they barely played.
My point is those three players plus O'Brien are essentially competing for the same forward/ruck position, and all four have failed to go close to delivering this season - a key reason why we've struggled. Admittedly Ceglar is coming off an ACL & Lewis is just a kid. What I'd give to have David Hale back!

He’s definitely got more talent and potential than Lewis and Shoey.

I think we are continuing to persist with him in the hope that one day he puts it all together.

I’ve noticed in commentary that Wayne Carey is a pretty big fan. We should get him down the club in a one on one mentor role, regardless of his past off field behaviour he’s still the best player I’ve ever seen.

Wayne Carey is a pretty big fan. We should get him down the club in a one on one mentor role
I don't want a scumbucket who hits women skulking around my club.

There’s a touch of the Beau Dowler’s about Timmy sadly.
It’s important for us structurally that he, or someone like him, makes it but i just can’t see Timmy being that guy.

There’s a touch of the Beau Dowler’s about Timmy sadly.
It’s important for us structurally that he, or someone like him, makes it but i just can’t see Timmy being that guy.
I think Dowler was being played out of his position, then kicked a few bags in his last couple of games of the season before being delisted, played less than half the games O'Brien did but O'Brien is more skilled. Kinda encouraging though to think back in 2009 we were still figuring out guys like Dowler and Tim Boyle, who was no good but like Tom Murphy we just liked him I guess. Oh god I just realised Duryea turned into Tom Murphy at some point ...

Much like sis who defenders could block from the contest, Tim might do better down back and to punch where he gets hands to the ball rather than spill marks setting up the opposition crumbers

He’s definitely got more talent and potential than Lewis and Shoey.

Based on what? Schoey is a couple of kicks away from being a 2 x premiership player and as it stands had a bloody good game in the premiership he did take part in. Lewis is raw so to judge his talent now is a bit much - however he’s doing far more as a forward at VFL level than TOB ever has. For all of TOB’s supposed talent he has about 3 games his defenders cling to as a supposed rationale for his continual selection. For all the crap Langford and Duyrea cop here - at least they have some heart - I can’t even see that in TOB. Playing the foil role in the forward line he doesn’t even have an impact. Our forward line looked multiple times more dangerous with Schoey at CHF this year than it ever has with TOB. I want this kid to be half as good as his ardent defenders claim him to be - but at this moment he just isn’t.

And see Bosk’s statement about Carey but add twice the vitriol when it comes to that wretched campaigner coming within an inch of our club.

Hes needs to improve and every game he gets, he needs to grab it with 2 hands and will be lucky if Cyril doesn't cause his omission.

However i do think he provides more than Lewis atm.

Just a general observation of many forum punters.

Time is wonderful thing. Reckon that Schoey was smashed up even more than TOB has been, at this stage of their respective careers. Now people are wanting Schoey in the side, but is it because he offers more or is it just because it allows them to vent at TOB. Important to have players liket the pair on the list, as injuries do happen. It's a team/squad that wins a flag. Both could lift their game, but both offer something.

Reckon Timmy, is close. Clarko will decide the future for him and maybe if Roughead were better or the forward line settled, he'd be better.

Time will tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tim O'Brien: Corner turned. 2yr extension announced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back