Time for action - 9 home games at the MCG per year

Remove this Banner Ad

But that’s already happening so that’s very different to 9 MCG games

For example thjs season our 6 Marvel home games are against 4 interstate clubs plus North and the Saints - so unless those last two games are sold out this year and next I don’t think we have a great argument

Right now the mix is 6 Marvel plus 5 MCG and I think the ideal would be 4 Marvel and 7 MCG but maybe 5 Marvel and 6 MCG is more achievable currently

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

When you combine this with continued success on field you'll find that games like Port Adelaide, Sydney, and Brisbane will be played at the MCG as well that will also satisfy those big interstate clubs request for more games at the MCG themselves.

The ratio will improve but the only thing we can do as individuals is attend.

The crowd number for the Geelong game would've pleased the AFL to no end. That's one game that in the past has been played at both MARVEL and the MCG. Obviously not out home game but the other game we play against them is also at the G.

Seconded. The AFL will just laugh in the club’s face if it’s drawing crowds at Marvel that don’t go near enough to its maximum capacity. Simply put, it is the Carlton crowd that will have to demand more games at the G, not relying on oppo supporters turning up to our games.
People will turn up to marvel for a reason. I dont think every marvel game needs to be a sellout before some are shifted to the G, but clearly we should be getting more games at the G. Collingwood can play a few games at Marvel

All teams should have a designated home ground for 9 games and 2 'flex' games that can be at the same ground, interstate, whatever is profitable.

Our home should be the MCG for 9 home games. Marvel twice a year, if that.

Moving to Docklands and away from Princes Park was the worst decision the club made (well, after the Legends stand which was so bad it rendered Princes Park obsolete and left us in unmanageable debt) and we have not had a regular season top 4 finish since adopting Docklands. Time to end that mistake now

It's simple really. Agitate to get an extra home game at the G. Succeed, put up big numbers and make it so that the AFL can see the financial benefits of playing more blockbusters there. Rinse - repeat.

In the meantime also agitate to get a better deal on games that we play at Marvel, We're their most likely tenant to fill the place.

Eventually we should play all home games against Vic teams at the G and all home game against interstate teams at Marvel.

We just don't know how to negotiate. As posted above, our deal ends this year, we should be playing hard ball with the AFL and demand they look after us like they look after the other 100k membership clubs. Asking for one more game is just downright disrespectful to the supporter group.

We just don't know how to negotiate. As posted above, our deal ends this year, we should be playing hard ball with the AFL and demand they look after us like they look after the other 100k membership clubs. Asking for one more game is just downright disrespectful to the supporter group.

Pointless asking for 1 more game.

Should be asking for at least 3 more games.

i told agree with 9 home games at the MCG and have 2 at marvel to make them happy. just remember north will leave tassie soon that would free up space for them to play all there games.

Should be an 8/3 split.

We have way outgrown Marvel!

Wow that interview is the most cringe thing I've ever seen. The most experienced administrator in the entire competition, and CEO of the club with the most premierships and only club to have announced 100k members and he is talking like a timid child begging for an extra chocolate.

Imagine if you told Collingwood they would be losing ONE game at the MCG, all hell would break loose. Eddie would be thumping the desk and they would be on the biggest media blitz the world has ever seen.

Why isn't Cook getting the MCC and AFL in a room and saying we aren't leaving until you tell us how we are getting 8 home games? He clearly doesn't have a clue how to negotiate or have any vision for the club if he's just going to roll over and die like this. I guess it’s just a job for him at the end of the day.

Are we going to be stuck at Docklands for the next 1000 years just because the AFL want us to be? Docklands is an investment by the entire competition and EVERY Victorian club should be contributing. Why aren’t Richmond and Melbourne hosting more games there? Oh their supporters don’t like going there? Boo hoo neither do ours. Why the hell isn't Cook asking these questions and demanding action?

What’s the bet Essendon get 8 games at the G and we become a permanent Docklands club?

Luke Sayers is going to be remembered as the president who couldn’t even get us more games at the G coming off the back of 100k members, what a loser!

Carlton = never ending clown show.

Wow that interview is the most cringe thing I've ever seen. The most experienced administrator in the entire competition, and CEO of the club with the most premierships and only club to have announced 100k members and he is talking like a timid child begging for an extra chocolate.

Imagine if you told Collingwood they would be losing ONE game at the MCG, all hell would break loose. Eddie would be thumping the desk and they would be on the biggest media blitz the world has ever seen.

Why isn't Cook getting the MCC and AFL in a room and saying we aren't leaving until you tell us how we are getting 8 home games? He clearly doesn't have a clue how to negotiate or have any vision for the club if he's just going to roll over and die like this. I guess it’s just a job for him at the end of the day.

Are we going to be stuck at Docklands for the next 1000 years just because the AFL want us to be? Docklands is an investment by the entire competition and EVERY Victorian club should be contributing. Why aren’t Richmond and Melbourne hosting more games there? Oh their supporters don’t like going there? Boo hoo neither do ours. Why the hell isn't Cook asking these questions and demanding action?

What’s the bet Essendon get 8 games at the G and we become a permanent Docklands club?

Luke Sayers is going to be remembered as the president who couldn’t even get us more games at the G coming off the back of 100k members, what a loser!

You can tell this guy is very quick, probably even exceptionally evasive…..
Intelligence has been chasing him for a while but just can’t catch him……

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must be one of the few who would be happy with a 6-5 split. The 'G is not the easiest ground to get to (Victoria Street traffic, finding parking, walking to the ground etc) and the Docklands has the advantage of better conditions on bad days. Besides games against the bigger Melbourne clubs, I'm still happy with Carlton playing the interstate clubs and North at the Docklands.

I must be one of the few who would be happy with a 6-5 split. The 'G is not the easiest ground to get to (Victoria Street traffic, finding parking, walking to the ground etc) and the Docklands has the advantage of better conditions on bad days. Besides games against the bigger Melbourne clubs, I'm still happy with Carlton playing the interstate clubs and North at the Docklands.

That seems to be a general consensus. The interstate clubs are definitely Marvel material. Middle of winter and the roof is handy. Reckon a 7/4 split would be more beneficial, especially on the number of members and any new contract should be short-term only based on the estimated increase to 125K within a few years.

We were quite happy on the contract / split last time around on the monetary returns with whatever Marvel was offering as the prime host.

Wow just wow!
Yeah, I'm not sure about this Brian Cook. After all, all he has ever done is...

As CEO of the West Coast Eagles in 1990 and during his nine years at the Eagles, the club quadrupled its membership, dramatically increased revenue and became the first non-Victorian club to win the AFL premiership in 1992 and again in winning the 1994 premiership. Both successes were achieved against Geelong.

As CEO of the Geelong Football Club
Cook also oversaw an era for the Geelong Football Club that experienced finals football in 16 of their last 18 seasons as well as 13 top four finishes between 2004 and 2021, including the three premierships during that time. That on-field success has been mirrored by performance off the field, with Cook leading a four-stage redevelopment of Kardinia Park, while overseeing an increase in the Cats’ turnover from $16 to $60 million during his tenure.

And now stability at Carlton.

As CEO of the West Coast Eagles in 1990 and during his nine years at the Eagles, the club quadrupled its membership, dramatically increased revenue and became the first non-Victorian club to win the AFL premiership in 1992 and again in winning the 1994 premiership. Both successes were achieved against Geelong.

Cook also oversaw an era for the Geelong Football Club that experienced finals football in 16 of their last 18 seasons as well as 13 top four finishes between 2004 and 2021, including the three premierships during that time. That on-field success has been mirrored by performance off the field, with Cook leading a four-stage redevelopment of Kardinia Park, while overseeing an increase in the Cats’ turnover from $16 to $60 million during his tenure.

He hasn’t done much at all has he Rev 😉

I find the prospect of Brian Cook not knowing how to negotiate a tough pill to swallow.

This has a decidedly Vince Loccisano tenor to it.

Apart from all of that, and the roads, fresh water, public health, and the viadicts what has he ever done for us????
1714540848147.png

I bet if you told Cook and Sayers they would each get a $5m bonus if they got us an 8/3 split, their can't do attitude would turn into a can do attitude pretty quickly.

and yeah he clearly can't negotiate, I'm not the only one who said it.

I like Marvel, but I do think a 7-4 split at the G makes sense.
No more than that though, Marvel is very comfortable during the depths of winter and much easier for me to get to from a selfish perspective.
On night matches always waited for a train on the Craizeeburn line at Flinders for a full 20 minutes if I stay to the end of the game and hop on at Jolimont back to Flinders, then it’s packed to the rafters. It’s so damn annoying that I now drive and park in Southbank 🤬🤬

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’d really like the club to stand firm and tell the AFL that we are set on a 7/4 or 8/3 long term deal and won’t be taking anything less, record membership & continuing growth, record & huge crowd attendances, prime time/tv viewing numbers, financially strong and stable club on and off the field, we have a list that’s currently entering its prime, littered with its stars that are in a strong & challenging position for the foreseeable future…

Couldn’t care less what the AFL want it’s what’s best for our club, members and supporters…
It’s time…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back