Time we dropped our senior players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Now's the time for Simpson to make an example. We need to drop some senior players not performing. Gaff, Kelly, Sheed, Barrass, Yeo, Shuey, Reddon, Hurn, Ryan Sheppard. This group are quality but they really need a good kick up there asses right now.

Rubbish, we were lucky to still be in the game thanks to inaccurate kicking, we were outplayed by a better team on the day.

Fortunately we know many of our squad are under done, collectively they have improvement in them.

Seriously though, time to inject another rocket.
If the MC wants to set a standard/example I would not be against Darling having a run with the Beagles. Won't happen but he has probably been the most disappointing the past month, especially knowing how elite he can and should be.

I'd drop Kelly after that debacle, 14 disposals and 4 clangers. Pathetic.

He was probably close to leading the B&F before he got injured, but you want to dump him for having one bad game after five weeks out?

Time to start building for the future. As great as they've been, I'd retire Hurn and Kennedy at the end of the year. because we're unlikely to be a shot next season.

I'd hate to lose one or more of Brander/Foley etc because we refuse to believe we're a middling side and want to hang onto past glories. Don't get me wrong, they may very well be good enough for one last crack but if we end up losing some good young talent for it and finish middle of the table again then we're just setting ourselves up for future failure.

Time to make a change because repeating the same shit since 2019 clearly isn't working.

I'd drop Kelly after that debacle, 14 disposals and 4 clangers. Pathetic.

Nope, he was poor yesterday but he is a good performer.
Play him HF and chop out the midfield and never take him off the ground. Let him rest Forward all game. Build up his fitness.
No way in hell should or will he be dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to start building for the future. As great as they've been, I'd retire Hurn and Kennedy at the end of the year. because we're unlikely to be a shot next season.

I'd hate to lose one or more of Brander/Foley etc because we refuse to believe we're a middling side and want to hang onto past glories. Don't get me wrong, they may very well be good enough for one last crack but if we end up losing some good young talent for it and finish middle of the table again then we're just setting ourselves up for future failure.

Time to make a change because repeating the same sh*t since 2019 clearly isn't working.

You don't just retire players when they still perform. JK and Hurn can easily go on another year without hindering any development. They may wish to retire but that is another thing. Change the game plan and move the ball quickly and JK could easily kick 50-70 goals still a season. Under Simmo game plan it is much harder for our forwards.

You don't just retire players when they still perform. JK and Hurn can easily go on another year without hindering any development. They may wish to retire but that is another thing. Change the game plan and move the ball quickly and JK could easily kick 50-70 goals still a season. Under Simmo game plan it is much harder for our forwards.
Yeah but what if they don't perform? Hurn's had a few mares this season and JK's needed to be rested a couple of times already. The end comes quickly and we all know this club will refuse to drop them, even if they are severely underperforming.

It's why I was shocked that Priddis got the tap on the shoulder after his contract extension. He wasn't playing well at all but no way in hell would the club drop him.

Went through the same thing with Cox also. If someone's a better option then they should get played but it won't happen unless it's a fringe player getting dropped, even if they play better because the senior player's 'best is better'. Well if that 'best' was 4 years ago then sorry, time to get put out to pasture.

Yeah but what if they don't perform? Hurn's had a few mares this season and JK's needed to be rested a couple of times already. The end comes quickly and we all know this club will refuse to drop them, even if they are severely underperforming.

It's why I was shocked that Priddis got the tap on the shoulder after his contract extension. He wasn't playing well at all but no way in hell would the club drop him.

Went through the same thing with Cox also. If someone's a better option then they should get played but it won't happen unless it's a fringe player getting dropped, even if they play better because the senior player's 'best is better'. Well if that 'best' was 4 years ago then sorry, time to get put out to pasture.

My honest opinion is that JK and Hurn will retire when they do not believe they can perform at the level required. That could be the end of this season but I doubt it.

It is extremely risky to make that many changes against any side in AFL let alone top 4 side like dogs. This one is on Simmo, he clearly didn't get the memo. after a great win against tigers, his selection cost us massively. I do not care if you are a multiple Brownlow, premiership player or an A grade player follow the process. Play a game in 2s or perhaps come in against swans just not this game.It is extremely harsh on those boys come in and expect to hit the ground running against top tier mids.

We did this against Essendon as well and from memory brought in Yeo, HURN, and Ryan. oscar went down kelly went down and we were cooked cuz we also had our serial passenger NN doing 60% TOG.

additionally, to make matters worst we didn't reward our youngsters whom triumphed against the Tigers a follow-up game. Perhaps we should have been more cautious with changes and bring in few not all at once especially when we had young players in form. leaving JJ out for Petch was another head scrather move which only Simmo can explain.

From opening bounce, you could tell dogs came to play and they fully deserved the win ( and should have won last week too). They should have been up by 7-8 goals at halftime.

what to look forward to?? going back to the question you raised. Now that we have done this by bringing all of them in at once, the worst thing we could do is to actually drop them. too late, we play them until they find form, we played our card and now we have to go with it. Another masterpiece by MC and head of the snake Simmo.

I said it many times before, best manager is the one who find a balance between villain and hero. Not too harsh all the time and certainly not too friendly with players either. simmo is too scared to make decisions and pull triggers. Friends family flag is quite frankly the worst possible tagline for a competitive sporting organization. Simmo has work to do. It is not late, we can win few games in a row and have another opportunity to make a statement in round 23. if we lose any other game from now on ( including Gabba game), it is curtains for us. I am going to give Simmo and this midfield one last chance to string few games together to see what they are capable of. one last chance.

Last edited:
Whilst I don't disagree with the OP, it won't happen. They were all down, so who exactly would you drop?

Part of me would love the match committee to make a huge statement and drop Tim Kelly, but, naturally he will be given plausible deniability for poor form given he has just returned from a layoff. Ditto Shuey, Ryan, McGovern, Yeo etc

Hurn is being somewhat carried toward 300 games so it won't be him.

Maybe Sheed? Gaff?

Its just not Simpsons way though. After all, "credits in the bank" and all that.

Both Sheed and Gaff were terrible, so I would be happy with that.

We were sh*t. It sucked. Way too many passengers. Going on without 10 senior players for the sake of it helps nobody and doesn’t send the message of accountability you think it does, it sends a message that the club has sh*t the bed and is panicking.

I can handle a loss, no problem. We were completely outplayed. Its the way we consistently lose the same way and we seem not to learn that i have an issue with.

Losses like this one, geelong, saints and essendon are not right and needs to be fixed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Time we dropped our senior players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back