Time we dropped our senior players.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not advocating for him to be dropped persay, but i wouldn't hate the idea either. Finally use the BIG NAME as the scapegoat for other senior players underperforming for once, and not some kid or fringe player.

Perhaps with the smaller dimensions of GMHBA stadium, this would be as good a chance as any to trial a side without gaff in the team?

Gaff was the best wingman in the game in 2018 prior to the suspension. What the hell happened to him?
The scary thing here is, I wholeheartedly agree with that statement and thought he was still super important last year. I'm no gaff hater and i'm still calling for blood. He's just fallen of a cliff with his form this year and given where our list and midfield appears to be at I think it's time to try and move him on whilst we could still get something.

Last edited:
On basic stats Gaff is having a good year, he just doesn't seem to be having any impact on games.

He is 66th for metres gained per game for mids this season, but is 2nd in career averages.

I would also like to think it also our midfielders.

Its easy enough to blame gaff, but hes hardly being supplied the ball from centre clearances. Watch sheed and redden play, they are very safe and gaff plays on the break which they struggle to do.

Its very hard to drop any of our senior players as they seem to have lost chemistry with each other.

Also it a tactical team chemistry thing.

Adam Simpson may have a good game plan, but its all or nothing. That a huge issue. We knew it would be raining, yeo shuey NN and TK on minutes restriction and we expect to out run the fastest team in the comp. Waterman over JJ??

I love waterman but he still developing mentally as a player, so much talent but so inconsistent

Since last year, our best centre combo is NN shuey TK and Yeo, Redden and Gaff at the wings.

Before yesterday, they didnt do a preseason with each other, they havent played together for over a year, and TK and Shuey preseason was interrupted last year as well and it showed at the beginning of last year too. You watch bulldogs play, they know where each other are. Do you see how many sweeping handballs were directly to their players, it intentional. We expect to put together a starting midfield who has never played together for over a year.

We have 7 games left, 4 weeks to build chemistry. 4 weeks of a mini preseason to figure this out.honestly, our round 23 clash against brisbane will decide how far we go. We need to be in the 8 to win it, and that all that matters. Give it time, we dont want to unsettle our players.

On basic stats Gaff is having a good year, he just doesn't seem to be having any impact on games.

He is 66th for metres gained per game for mids this season, but is 2nd in career averages.
2017 all over again. He only slightly increased his output in 2018 from 2017 but his impact was far, far greater.

Yesterday's game was unacceptable but yet I constantly keep reading post about us playing the top 2 side so we shouldn't of expected to win.

That's a cop out as this isn't the first time this season I've seen that after a loss. I'm a very passionate supporter and been following this club for a long time like most on here. How did we become so complacent. It's running right through the team and even supporters on here. Constantly hearing the old Fairweather supporter everytime we lose. It's not Fairweather to be pissed at such a poor display. This goes to a lot of posters on this board. Anyone accepting yesterday's game as being alright because Bulldogs are top 2 is exactly what they preach. They are the true Fairweather supporter for not showing any passion and seem ok with this. It's what's wrong with the club. No spirit or fight and am sick of it.

I love this club. We should be fighting for a top 4 spot simple. Yesterday's game was a disgrace. It was more then a disgrace. One of the worst performances over the last 2 decades. The players should hold there heads in shame. We showed no fight and no spirit and I'm actually more pissed off now then I was watching that game. I'm mad and want some answers for it from the top down. I want the players and coaches to take responsibility for it.

Now's the time for Simpson to make an example. We need to drop some senior players not performing. Gaff, Kelly, Sheed, Barrass, Yeo, Shuey, Reddon, Hurn, Ryan Sheppard. This group are quality but they really need a good kick up there asses right now.

I want to see at least 2 or 3 of this group dropped.
It needs to happen and needs to happen right now. If you're injuried or feeling rusty then gain you're fitness in the WAFL and earn you're way back. Simple. No more letting this slide.

Yesterday was an example of why you shouldn't carry any passengers and underdone players.

I don't want to see the same thing we do when we lose each time we drop our youth for some more youth to come in.
Our senior group need to be the ones being dropped right now.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk
Agree.. no accountability by our senior players for under performing..they are professional athletes and are getting a sh?tload of money
(major culprits are the ones with the long contracts)

GAFF HACK KICK AROUND THE CORNER IS LUCKY TO GO 30M

It was a stark difference when Yeoy came back in and he gets another 20+ metres on his hacks. Makes a huge difference in field position. Shuey is another who gets a heck of a lot more distance on his pressured disposals.

Gaff need to get the ball in space, running toward our goal. He can be very damaging in this situation.

In football a club should only ever be in one of two phases, challenging for a flag or building to challenge for a flag in the future.

The club believes it's in the 'challenging for a flag' phase and will continue to pick a team accordingly.

But what is very apparent to everyone, not just WC supporters on Bigfooty, is that we're nowhere near a flag. We are so far behind Melbourne, Bulldogs, Brisbane and Geelong
that it can only be described as delusion to think we just need to get some match fitness in the returning players and we're golden.

I would bet that Simpson knows this. But when you have a best 22 with so many superstars like what we have, he can hardly start rebuilding. Nor can he risk changing the game plan and spending a couple seasons perfecting it, because our senior players are already pushing the end of their use by date. To me, it all smells like the club is playing the (safe) percentages and hoping it will be enough to challenge for one last flag. It clearly isn't working.

But what really is concerning is just how many players are showing a lack of effort (or any interest in competing generally). Do the senior players know their spot is safe regardless? Is it that the players don't buy into the game plan and know that even 100% effort is more likely to lead to injury or fatigue than wrestling the game back? There certainly seems some serious issues with the mental side of our senior players.

I'm hoping that 2021 we push as hard as we can, hope for a bit of September form/luck and see what happens.
But after that, the club needs to turn over our list and build up the next generation of players.

You hit the nail on the head mate.
Our problem is the club believe we are in a challenge for flag position, when clearly we are not.
Senior players have lost the hunger it’s evident with our week to week consistency. We need some youth injected into the club and some of the dead wood cut. Would be looking at the game plan under a microscope this pre season and changing accordingly. It’s been obvious for months if not years that our game plan does not hold up under pressure and we are far too predictable, not too mention the lack of run and getting absolutely burnt time and time again on the forward 50 turn over then transition run to defensive 50.
We continually go in far too tall and don’t move the ball quick enough at all, was great when in worked in 18 our stars aligned.
That was 3 years ago ffs…

A dumb thread in some regards. If we are dropping senior players start with JK. He is limited, unable to chase and not a pack mark, thus relies on us winning the mid battle, playing controlled ball movement etc.

Old champion but time for Allen to cut his teeth.

I would move the undersized JD to Watermans role, delist Waterman not experienced press but not up to AFL level.

Brander as a very mobile CHF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A dumb thread in some regards. If we are dropping senior players start with JK. He is limited, unable to chase and not a pack mark, thus relies on us winning the mid battle, playing controlled ball movement etc.

Old champion but time for Allen to cut his teeth.

I would move the undersized JD to Watermans role, delist Waterman not experienced press but not up to AFL level.

Brander as a very mobile CHF.
Well...

He was best afield literally the previous game. Not only did he kick four goals but he got up the ground and moved like a midfielder.

This may still be his last year but he’s far from the liability you’re making him out to be.

He was best afield literally the previous game. Not only did he kick four goals but he got up the ground and moved like a midfielder.

This may still be his last year but he’s far from the liability you’re making him out to be.

e1a341d7-8a75-4efc-bfc6-0cc2778e47a9_text.gif

Well he has no trade value, he applies no pressure, he is a seagull and despirte all the talk of his football smarts he is hppeless when needed. gets the odd soft mark when we have control thats all.

On the negative size, he isnt a tall forward target, cannot crumb, is outmarked by small defenders and is slow.
Dreaming. If Waterman was on the trade table most, if not all, clubs would come to us with offers.

He'd be relatively cheap and is a capable tall at this level.

Well he has no trade value, he applies no pressure, he is a seagull and despirte all the talk of his football smarts he is hppeless when needed. gets the odd soft mark when we have control thats all.

On the negative size, he isnt a tall forward target, cannot crumb, is outmarked by small defenders and is slow.

Darling is a confidence player. he is down but if he comes back he is by far our best option for his role.

GAFF HACK KICK AROUND THE CORNER IS LUCKY TO GO 30M

It was a stark difference when Yeoy came back in and he gets another 20+ metres on his hacks. Makes a huge difference in field position. Shuey is another who gets a heck of a lot more distance on his pressured disposals.

Gaff need to get the ball in space, running toward our goal. He can be very damaging in this situation.
This:

yeos kicks goiver the waiting seagulls heads - gaff goes right to them

Sorry but this thread is a waste of time, Simpson doesn't drop senior players.
The players know it, the coaches know it and the fans know it.
There is no accountability for average performances from senior players and they all know it.

Here we go.

Schofield dropped repeatedly last year, and pretty much his whole career.

Jetta dropped repeatedly last year.

Masten dropped repeatedly in his final year.

Butler dropped in his final year.

Priddis “managed” in his final year until he saw the writing on the wall.

Cox “managed” in his final year when we were trying to rotate him, Nic and Lycett through two ruck spots.

But I suppose you’ll tell me none of those count, for various reasons.

Here we go.

Cox “managed” in his final year when we were trying to rotate him, Nic and Lycett through two ruck spots.

Yeah

But that doesn't suit the narrative, which is pretty much, when we lose, Simmo's:

A. A dud
B. Has lost the players
C. Is too soft or
D. All of the above

Here we go.

Forgive me for not making the hyperbole clear.

But by all means lets play technicality game.
No current senior player at the club has ever been dropped by Adam Simpson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Time we dropped our senior players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back