Tobacco Tax - who does it really hurt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Prohibition doesn't work. Excess taxation doesn't work. Only education does
Literally every statistical measure shows this to be untrue.

The huge black market for tobacco that has emerged as a response to government greed is now a big problem.

Prohibition doesn't work. Excess taxation doesn't work. Only education does

I don't see it as greed at all.
I see it as a down payment on your hospital bed, a bed that should be for genuinely sick people not ones who make poor a life style choice.
So keep sucking it in and forking out the tax dollars.

I don't see it as greed at all.
I see it as a down payment on your hospital bed, a bed that should be for genuinely sick people not ones who make poor a life style choice.
So keep sucking it in and forking out the tax dollars.

Someone who dies from smoking related diseases is cheaper than a dementia patient in the Aged Care system

Dementia patients are a bigger drain on taxpayers, so why not tax them more?
I agree with you re tax and think we're approaching a tipping point but the comparison with dementia is a bad one. I choose to spark up a ciggy, nobody chooses dementia.

I agree with you re tax and think we're approaching a tipping point but the comparison with dementia is a bad one. I choose to spark up a ciggy, nobody chooses dementia.

I work Aged Care, primarily with dementia patients.
We are seeing a huge influx of younger patients in their 60s and 70s, a big percentage of them are alcohol/drug related dementia.

Illegal cigarettes is on track to outsell legal tobacco shortly.

Tax increases have failed.
Thats not how you determine success. What ridiculously terrible logic you have just displayed. Smoking rates could fall 99 percent and your assumption about illegal sales outselling legal sales could still hold true.

Success is determined by falling rates of smoking in the population. And these rates have absolutely collapsed.

Thats not how you determine success. What ridiculously terrible logic you have just displayed. Smoking rates could fall 99 percent and your assumption about illegal sales outselling legal sales could still hold true.

Success is determined by falling rates of smoking in the population. And these rates have absolutely collapsed.

Rates can be manipulated when illegal consumption isn't recorded

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is nicotine is one of few proven mental enhancers, kinda why you see pysch wards and prisons full of smokers, they do literally need it

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1579636/
Nicotine improves attention in a wide variety of tasks in healthy volunteers. 2. Nicotine improves immediate and longer term memory in healthy volunteers. 3. Nicotine improves attention in patients with probable Alzheimer's Disease. 4. While some of the memory effects of nicotine may be due to enhanced attention, others seem to be the result of improved consolidation as shown by post-trial dosing.

Obviously the addiction becomes a thing and they can't stop. The vape ban seems silly(particularly the non disposable kinds), will drive up long term lung cancer in vulnerable groups

The thing is nicotine is one of few proven mental enhancers, kinda why you see pysch wards and prisons full of smokers, they do literally need it

Nicotine improves attention in a wide variety of tasks in healthy volunteers. 2. Nicotine improves immediate and longer term memory in healthy volunteers. 3. Nicotine improves attention in patients with probable Alzheimer's Disease. 4. While some of the memory effects of nicotine may be due to enhanced attention, others seem to be the result of improved consolidation as shown by post-trial dosing.

Obviously the addiction becomes a thing and they can't stop. The vape ban seems silly(particularly the non disposable kinds), will drive up long term lung cancer in vulnerable groups
A 1992 paper written by someone whose claim to fame was "He was an expert on the psychological effects of nicotine, and he founded the tobacco-industry funded group known as ARISE Associates for Research in the Science of Enjoyment, which had previously been known as "Associates for Research in Substance Enjoyment,""

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rates can be manipulated when illegal consumption isn't recorded
Yes they can. But that fact doesnt make your previous post valid. Uktimately what matters is how many people are smoking. Not the rates of illegal to legal cigarettes.

Cigarette smoking has plummeted off the face of a cliff compared to what it used to be. Almost everyone over 15 used to smoke. You were rather odd if you didnt. Now its completely the other way round.

Yes they can. But that fact doesnt make your previous post valid. Uktimately what matters is how many people are smoking. Not the rates of illegal to legal cigarettes.

Cigarette smoking has plummeted off the face of a cliff compared to what it used to be. Almost everyone over 15 used to smoke. You were rather odd if you didnt. Now its completely the other way round.

In the last couple of years I've noticed a increase in the amount of people who smoke, none of them smoke legally bought cigarettes.

Reality is prohibition has never, and will never work.

We have had dementia patients who's cognition has significantly declined after they've stopped smoking

A 1992 paper written by someone whose claim to fame was "He was an expert on the psychological effects of nicotine, and he founded the tobacco-industry funded group known as ARISE Associates for Research in the Science of Enjoyment, which had previously been known as "Associates for Research in Substance Enjoyment,""

You said arse

Dude I just picked the first google search, the research is wide spread and well known

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/will-a-nicotine-patch-make-you-smarter-excerpt/
A huge literature says that smoking protects against Parkinson’s,”she said. “It started as a chance observation, which is frequently the most interesting kind.”

Dude I just picked the first google search, the research is wide spread and well known

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/will-a-nicotine-patch-make-you-smarter-excerpt/
A huge literature says that smoking protects against Parkinson’s,”she said. “It started as a chance observation, which is frequently the most interesting kind.”
Michael J Fox was a chain smoker

https://www.chicagotribune.com/1987/07/18/dont-look-now-but-the-stars-are-lighting-up/

https://www.michaeljfox.org/news/re-examining-relationship-between-parkinsons-disease-and-smoking

They found that those with PD were less inclined to ever pick up the smoking habit,

I think our politicians need to read up on how prohibition went in the USA before introducing bad policy.

They have directly caused the current tobacco war

Remove this Banner Ad

Tobacco Tax - who does it really hurt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back