Recommitted Todd Goldstein

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really, Jacobs had a better year than Goldy this year.

Given Roos are rebuilding, really thought this was the year to cash in picks for Goldy & develop Preust for next assault.

What picks do you think would have been on offer?

Two things
Preuss is 22 and a third year player. Typically ruckmen at this stage aren't ready for the weekly grind of constant collisions for 22 rounds. It could easily damage his body and career ro put him in at the deep end at this stage.

North are strong for tall forwards, but I wonder if they will find him a spot as a forward/relieving ruck. Seems he could do this well.

If North offerred Martin and Kelly very long term deals at even more than the reported offers it could skew their payments for a long time. At some point in the next ten years they're gonna have to find large sums for other players. If they go short term they risk them taking the money and moving on.

Very well said.

1: Preuss can't play one out in the ruck. Fitness is way under what is required and will take a few more years to come close. He knows it too.

2: North will be looking to finish lower down the ladder in 2018. Playing both Preuss and Goldy will help achieve this, whilst developing and protecting Preuss.

I think Goldy will surprise a few and bounce back in 2018. If he regains form someone might look to offer a trade for something in the 30's which we may need in 2018 draft

Not really, Jacobs had a better year than Goldy this year.

Given Roos are rebuilding, really thought this was the year to cash in picks for Goldy & develop Preust for next assault.
No one wanted his salary.

What picks do you think would have been on offer?
If you paid most of his salary - which you are in a position to do - I would have thought you would be able to get a very good pick (late 1st rounder),

If you paid most of his salary - which you are in a position to do - I would have thought you would be able to get a very good pick (late 1st rounder),

I agree within reason, but I can only guess that nobody came with that type of offer.

Picks in the mid 20's for a million dollar layout would be absurd.

Then pay most of it as good draft picks should be more important than salary cap for the Roos to rebuild.
I'm sure the club tried, his form at his age must have really put them off him.

Seems to be some confusion between North supporters re the current contractual situation of Pruess ?
Perhaps snake has jumped the gun in declaring he is locked away until 2020.
In any case , North would be crazy to let Goldy and his contract muddy the waters with other clubs watching closely .
Make Pruess the number 1 ruckman and accept that the clubs highest paid player will spend the next 2 years in the VFL .
Such is life ...
Locked away. He can continue to develop under a former AA ruckman. Pruess will be a big part of our future - his time will come.

“People start rumours from nothing but I was contracted for next year and it never crossed my mind and the club knew that.”

Good to hear from the big man

Important signing for North :thumbsu:
He's the main man from now on .
Really should have scraped whatever draft picks possible for Goldy even if it meant carrying most of his salary.
A future 2nd rounder would have been invaluable in paying for your F/S prospects ...

Important signing for North :thumbsu:
He's the main man from now on .
Really should have scraped whatever draft picks possible for Goldy even if it meant carrying most of his salary.
A future 2nd rounder would have been invaluable in paying for your F/S prospects ...

Play Pruess as the number 1 ruck when he is not ready. Sounds like an great move. Keep up the great suggestions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“People start rumours from nothing but I was contracted for next year and it never crossed my mind and the club knew that.”

Good to hear from the big man

North for life.

Every player we wanted to keep has stayed on.

Nothing personal.
Seems like a good fella.
Good luck to him.
You had a point pre Pruess signing. Playing Goldy and having him leave would have been a disaster. I still think he is a bit off taking the reigns. Us Roos still hope their is life left in Goldy. Next year will be interesting and if he starts slow then the baton should be handed over. Goldy has enough runs to get the starting gig. He is only 1 year old than Kreuzer.

You had a point pre Pruess signing. Playing Goldy and having him leave would have been a disaster. I still think he is a bit off taking the reigns. Us Roos still hope their is life left in Goldy. Next year will be interesting and if he starts slow then the baton should be handed over. Goldy has enough runs to get the starting gig. He is only 1 year old than Kreuzer.

The blues might try to cough up next seasons 2nd round pick (Bulldogs) for Goldy. It won't be enough.

The blues might try to cough up next seasons 2nd round pick (Bulldogs) for Goldy. It won't be enough.

Not interested in Goldy .
Next year we have 3 F/S prospects and the 2 x future 2nd rounders Silvagni aquired during this trade period from Footscray and Adelaide would probably be needed for them .

This is my point re Goldy .
I believe North also have a batch of F/S next year that will need to be paid for .
Pruess is pretty much ready to assume the mantle as number 1 ruckman and Daw with 2 years still to run on his contract can provide support when required .
What is the point of Goldy running around in the VFL for the next 2 years .
Surely it's better list management to move Goldy on for whatever draft picks you could scramble even if it meant carrying most of his salary and using the pick/s on the F/S next year .

Not interested in Goldy .
Next year we have 3 F/S prospects and the 2 x future 2nd rounders Silvagni aquired during this trade period from Footscray and Adelaide would probably be needed for them .

This is my point re Goldy .
I believe North also have a batch of F/S next year that will need to be paid for .
Pruess is pretty much ready to assume the mantle as number 1 ruckman and Daw with 2 years still to run on his contract can provide support when required .
What is the point of Goldy running around in the VFL for the next 2 years .
Surely it's better list management to move Goldy on for whatever draft picks you could scramble even if it meant carrying most of his salary and using the pick/s on the F/S next year .
I will be surprised if either of our 2 father son pick us. Scott a small chance - Blakey will stay in NSW with his family imo. Thomas will be a win however. No issue keeping Goldy to help Pruess.

I'm predicting Goldy to be used as trade bait at years end.
As we complete our rebuild
Think 2019 we'll go Preuss one out.

Hoping Goldy has a decent year though to net us something decent
He'll be 30 this time next year and will be worth way more to you guys than what you will get in trade. You needed to move him after 2015.

I'd be backing him to regain form and punch out 2-3 years of high level play rather than taking pick 40 or whatever you would get for him. Might be enough to catch the start of your upswing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Todd Goldstein

Remove this Banner Ad

Back