Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

I can kind of see why Barrass isn't feeling valued at West Coast.

3 years left on his contract on decent coin with a back injury that could end it at any time according to him.

I have no doubt if he leaves it'll be on great terms, got a premiership and job security. Now can go to a club that may challenge again on a longer, higher paid deal or stick around being paid well.

Barrass has said he has a back injury that could end it it any time?

Makes me wonder if that handshake was from before he hurt his back.

Believe talks on an improved deal happened last year when he was linked away.

Regardless this is the exact type of player the club needs to trade, must trade even. Will play no part in any future finals run at the club, can generate some more top 30 draft picks. It's the very best for both parties.

He's probably mad he's on the same coin as Gaffy, that Darlings getting paid a touch more and McGovern significantly more.

You better keep that career ending back injury on the down low. Easier to fleece the Hawks if they dont know.

Barrass could play in a flag at Hawthorn, he won't play finals again at WC. A break up suits all imo
He could play finals again with us. Just not many and likely not a preliminary final. The only reason this has come up is to provide better security for Barrass. Basically, making the most of what time he has left. But he could certainly win a flag with a contender that he won't with us, nor will (should) we entertain improving the contract he already has in place for another three years. It's all business but Tom has been and will continue to be well looked after by us should a trade not eventuate.

He's probably mad he's on the same coin as Gaffy, that Darlings getting paid a touch more and McGovern significantly more.

You better keep that career ending back injury on the down low. Easier to fleece the Hawks if they dont know.

Everyone know he has a back issue.

What if Sam Mitchell wasn't interviewing Tom Barrass but was a back channel to make Sam an offer he couldn't refuse because the soft cap doesnt really exist if you can pay the fine. Ah, what then?

Tom's not testing the waters, he's on the job.

OH MY LORD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread is tagged speculation so im all good.

Last year Barrass was speaking to Sydney. And by speaking to Sydney I mean Dean Cox.

Notice how it's mainly about hawthorn and not the bulldogs? I dont blame you guys. I dont rate Bevo either.

Last edited:
Mitchell wants to overpay for a KPD. Which is why he went after McKay and Esava.

Seems eagles will the the beneficiary of his chase.

It’s not like I have any say in the matter.
Im not sure how closely you’ve watched the Eagles and TB but trust me he is a needle mover and you won’t be disappointed.

If we could keep TB and get your first and future 2nd (my thoughts on what it will cost) we’d clearly do it. But different stages of the reboot and a 29yo makes more sense for you then us.

If it falls through and TB decides he wants to stay in WA, it’s not the best result for our rebuild but the spine is pretty settled for 4-5 years to get the other things in order. As long a HEdwards then doesn’t decide he doesn’t want to be 3rd man up for the next 2 years.

What if Sam Mitchell wasn't interviewing Tom Barrass but was a back channel to make Sam an offer he couldn't refuse because the soft cap doesnt really exist if you can pay the fine. Ah, what then?

Tom's not testing the waters, he's on the job.
Welcome back West Coast Eagles legend, Sam Mitchell

Luckily for Cats supporters the Geelong recruiting team didn't agree with your strategy when they paid plenty to trade in a 29 year old Cameron.

A massive part of their last premiership.

Brian Lake......remember how that story ended?
cameron was about 27 when he went to the cats. he was also one of if not the best key forward in the game. Had won 2 all australians and a coleman with GWS. Considering how many first round busts that year had, they paid a very low price for him in hindsight.

Players picked with what geelong paid:
Tom brown (2021 future first traded with richmond) - 18 games
Ryan Angwin - 16 games
Conor Stone - 9 games

Hawks knew what the price would be when they came knocking and sent a coach over trying to convince him to come over.

Silly logic on why Eagles fans are happy to trade him.
So do you think that Mitchell just went I think ill go over to the west and knock on Barrass door and see if he would like to come play for the Hawks next year? I would say that Barrass would off ( with the blessing of the Eagles ) given the green light to go over for a chat.
Just like Battle and the Saints would off given the green light for those talks to happen as well.

So if Barrass shopped himself to Sydney last year and then after courting them backed out and is now happy to entertain offers whilst under Contract, WC should feel comfortable being as mercenary as they can in shipping him off for picks.

Either way the club trading for him will do their due diligence. Then they will either be satisfied that his back will stand up or they won't.
This won't affect any trade for him as it's a threshold question, not a currency question.

Luckily for Cats supporters the Geelong recruiting team didn't agree with your strategy when they paid plenty to trade in a 29 year old Cameron.

A massive part of their last premiership.

Brian Lake......remember how that story ended?

Brian Lake came into the best side in the league that had just choked in the Grand Final. There was only one piece missing in the side and it was a strong KPD.

Never has there been a trade that fit the needs of the side so perfectly. He also wasn't going to cost a first round pick, minimum (or so it seems).

It's just not the same scenario. Granted this changes if we somehow make the Grand Final and it becomes evident that Frosty (who is having a career best year) is not cut out for high pressure games.

Also, Cameron wasn't 29 when Geelong traded for him, and he didn't have the potential career ending injury spectre looming over him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back