Tom Boyd vs Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe we had to trade the rights to Jesse Hogan away.

God damn AFL.

He was ours!!!!

OURS!!!!!!!!!!

Are you suggesting that GWS were seriously going to use the first pick on Viney?
I think it was more Jack Martin, maybe O'Meara(?) and the Gold Coast.

There were rumoured deals that GCFC & MFC had an "unspoken arrangement" to get each player to the club they're at now.

Not the first.. But one of the first 3 picks they or GCS had.. Viney was considered a top 10 pick in his draft year.
In fact he was rated as a better player then his best mate Ollie Wines.
Don't think he was ever rated top 3 though, so you couldn't expect GWS to bid a pick higher than they valued him.

I think it was more Jack Martin, maybe O'Meara(?) and the Gold Coast.

There were rumoured deals that GCFC & MFC had an "unspoken arrangement" to get each player to the club they're at now.

LOL, first of all O'Meara was the previous year. Second, GC had first pick in the mini draft, why would they bother having an 'unspoken arrangement'? It's just bizarre that you lot think it happened. Why would they need to have an arrangement when they had first pick?

LOL, first of all O'Meara was the previous year. Second, GC had first pick in the mini draft, why would they bother having an 'unspoken arrangement'? It's just bizarre that you lot think it happened. Why would they need to have an arrangement when they had first pick?
Rumoured.

Not by me.

I don't think it happened any more than I believe the rumour that Taylor Swift is a lesbian.

Not the first.. But one of the first 3 picks they or GCS had.. Viney was considered a top 10 pick in his draft year.
In fact he was rated as a better player then his best mate Ollie Wines.

Dude, you can only use the original picks from each round. GWS were only able either bid with their original first or second round pick, which was either the 1st pick or whatever their 2nd round ended up being.

So, only bids with picks 1 or 2 would force the MFC to take him in the first round. You said it yourself, he was considered a top 10 pick, but no where near top 2. GC was always going to use pick 2 on Jack Martin and GWS was always going to take pick 1 to the draft, Sheedy was obsessed with having the no.1 pick.

It's fanciful to suggest that an agreement was in place and there's no reasoning to support it,

Rumoured.

Not by me.

I don't think it happened any more than I believe the rumour that Taylor Swift is a lesbian.

It's been rumoured by nuffy's on BF. One idiot posts it then another village idiot sees it and parrots it because of the 'vibe'. Then more morons regurgitate it and then you have yourself a rumour.

I've asked this question every time I see an idiot say it's true but so far no one has been able to demonstrate it. How did GCS benefit from being in an arrangement with the MFC?

It's been rumoured by nuffy's on BF. One idiot posts it then another village idiot sees it and parrots it because of the 'vibe'. Then more morons regurgitate it and then you have yourself a rumour.

I've asked this question every time I see an idiot say it's true but so far no one has been able to demonstrate it. How did GCS benefit from being in an arrangement with the MFC?

No idea.
The first I'd even heard of it was last week. As you can see, I even got the players at "question" wrong, so I was more alluding to the rumour. Not endorsing it in any way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway, back to the thread.

I haven't read all the pages but is there any serious competition.... I would have thought it's hands down Jesse Hogan. It's Hogan.... followed by daylight... followed by moonlight.... followed by starlight... then possibly it's Tom Boyd

GWS made out like bandits on that deal

I haven't read all the pages but is there any serious competition.... I would have thought it's hands down Jesse Hogan. It's Hogan.... followed by daylight... followed by moonlight.... followed by starlight... then possibly it's Tom Boyd

Call me naive but I still think it's a win/win.

No way known Tom Boyd is not going to be an elite FF in the AFL.

He may be having a quiet year, but he will be an absolute superstar of the comp.

When. Not if.

Boyd doesn't have to be a better player than Hogan. He just has to be better than Liam Jones for the Dogs to improve. While we may be paying him overs (and I suspect we will be for a couple of years), you can already seen the benefits he brings to our side. The premiership team doesn't always contain the best player in the land, or even the best player in the 2 sides on GF day....

Fair enough, I'm not seeing it with Boyd.... I'm seeing a lot of Jonathan Brown in Jesse Hogan though
Hogan looks to be very very special.

But no one can deny Boyd's potential.

Big fellas take their time. There's not many bigger than Boyd.

If he hasn't looked like coming good come year 3/4 with the Bulldogs, I'm sure they'll look to trade but there's lots to happen between now and then.

Best thing the Digs did was put their faith in the kid. They have given him the time and the faith he'll live up to his talent.

But hey. I'm a Giants fan. We gave Tom Scully a 6 year $6,000,000 contract. What do I know?

(Despite the fact that Tom Scully would be in our top 3 for the B&F and has looked to be a different player this year, as the team and Scull's aerobic capacity has increased turning him into an elite, 2-way running midfielder)

Given people's penchant for stats here, do we think a Hogan v McCarthy comparison is more salient? image.jpg I'm not sure if this says that McCarthy is a future star of the game, or were going a little early on Hogan/Boyd/all the young forwards? Thoughts?

I'm seeing Hogan having him well covered outside of .6 goals a game. He also gets massive defensive attention while McCarthy gets to play behind Cameron on a better team. McCarthy looks like he'll be an excellent foil as he's superb on a lead and has very good hands. Hogan will be competing for All Australian honours next season provided we can start getting the ball to him a decent number of times.

I'm seeing Hogan having him well covered outside of .6 goals a game. He also gets massive defensive attention while McCarthy gets to play behind Cameron on a better team. McCarthy looks like he'll be an excellent foil as he's superb on a lead and has very good hands. Hogan will be competing for All Australian honours next season provided we can start getting the ball to him a decent number of times.
FWIW, and I don't usually comment on other team's players on generic boards, but I think Hogan's competitive streak will no doubt see him as a star of the future. He seems to understand footy really well and he loves the attention. Does his kicking need work? I don't know - I just half remembering him spraying a few, which is why I'd like to ask those who watch him closest.

Also I'm not sure he's got him "well covered" but he's certainly slightly in front in most categories.

Also I'm not sure he's got him "well covered" but he's certainly slightly in front in most categories.
Possessions, contested possessions, marks, contested marks. Star forward stuff which shows when you watch the two of them. You could say they are playing their roles at a similar level it's just that Hogan's role is significantly bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back