Tom Boyd vs Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCarthy has performed better than almost all have expected and I think he'll be a good player. However, I think Hogan has McCarthy covered. He's more imposing just about everywhere. Also on the goal differential, not to take too much away from him but having watched McCarthy quite a bit, a lot of his goals are cheapies. Hogan has earned every one of his goals this season.

Does his kicking need work? I don't know - I just half remembering him spraying a few, which is why I'd like to ask those who watch him closest.

He has a fair stutter in his approach doesn't he. It doesn't look fluid when he's taking a set shot - but he seems to hit the target as well as most key forwards. I think he's missed a couple from 25 out, this year, but it's not a habit as far as I can tell.

His field kicking is actually exceptional. This gets missed because of that awkward looking set shot routine - but he is very good by foot in general play.

FWIW, and I don't usually comment on other team's players on generic boards, but I think Hogan's competitive streak will no doubt see him as a star of the future. He seems to understand footy really well and he loves the attention. Does his kicking need work? I don't know - I just half remembering him spraying a few, which is why I'd like to ask those who watch him closest.

When he first came, he had a strange run-up that had two or three sideways steps in it. The coaches worked hard with him to straighten it up & make his approach more relaxed. In the first match (might have even been pre-season, I can't remember exactly) he seemed to forget this and reverted back to his old run-up and shanked a couple. Since then, he's used his remodelled run-up every time without any problems, and his kicking has been really good. He just needs to make sure his run-up is right, and for a while he probably does have to concentrate on it - you can almost see him counting his steps sometimes.

Having said that, he's probably right on his limit kicking from 50m.

didn't read this thread after sundays game but gee the vultures come for the opportunity. This'd be the most reactive topic in the media right now. How Tom Boyd is even a talking point after one bad game is beyond me. His season's been a very positive one.

You can't just come in and whack him for the bad games his had without recognising that he has 10 goals from 5 games in his second year + a whole lot of obvious contribution outside of goals (releasing Stringer).

Disgusting.

To those of you that are sensible. Thank you.

Hogan's killing him right now but looking at Hogan, as if i care. I like that the thread stays up but sadly Jesse will lead it out for the next few years if not his whole career. I get a sense there'll be interesting bumps along the way though.

But that's the thing his not releasing Stringer or Crameri.
Tom MacDonld was rotating between those two.
Boyd didn't even have there 3rd best defender on him and at times you wouldn't even know his out there.
That's the biggest concern. Not his out put.

The problem when you put a young player on big money, it makes it very hard for him to be dropped.
Go back to the VFL and get some confidents up, which could possibly be the best thing for Boyd ATM.

Last edited:

Boyd didn't even have there 3rd best defender on him and at times you wouldn't even know his out there.

The problem when you put a young player on big money, it make it very hard for him to be dropped.
Go back to the VFL and get some confidents up, which could possibly be the best thing for Boyd ATM.
you have referred to one game.

against adelaide, he took Talia for the first 5 of Stringer's goals.

against hawthorn he kicked 3 on Lake.

sydney have two suitable defenders for Boyd and Crameri and an idiot would argue to switch them around. Boyd did well for his 2 goals on that wet day. Of course one was on Ted for the nit pickers out there anyway.

Delaney was the only one he could've gone to and stringer went nuts on smaller, less powerful guys.

Rance killed Boyd but Stringer had 6+ score shots and got off the chain. In fact one of his goals was a direct steal.

I don't think the money worries us in terms of dropping him. He's had a bad game (after a good one) and as the coach has said he might need a spell. The opponent is the only reason not to

and credit to Fitzpatrick but he had plenty of help. As a team Melbourne brutalized us. Few quality entries and the deep ones were to numbers. Theirs on the other hand..

sydney have two suitable defenders for Boyd and Crameri and an idiot would argue to switch them around. Boyd did well for his 2 goals on that wet day. Of course one was on Ted for the nit pickers out there anyway.

Delaney was the only one he could've gone to and stringer went nuts on smaller, less powerful guys.

Rance killed Boyd but Stringer had 6+ score shots and got off the chain. In fact one of his goals was a direct steal.

I don't think the money worries us in terms of dropping him. He's had a bad game (after a good one) and as the coach has said he might need a spell. The opponent is the only reason not to

Doggies fans have been great.. Part of the reason you can see his not playing with the weight of his contract on his mind..
But he made Jack Fitzpatrick look like a Brownlow medalist

The opposition will not be so kind. If I was Jessie Hogan I be wondering if his worth 1mill a year.
Then what's my value.

Doggies fans have been great.. Part of the reason you can see his not playing with the weight of his contract on his mind..

The opposition will not be so kind. If I was Jessie Hogan I be wondering if his worth 1mill a year.
Then what's my value.
evidence suggests he's not playing with his contract on mind. having a decent year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem when you put a young player on big money, it makes it very hard for him to be dropped.
You're referencing one game as the basis for your argument? Please. Off you go and come back when you've had a think about what you've done.

Ok sorry, you've already fought the fight.

Then what's my value.
Well of course Hogan is worth that. All star, young key forward's are now. And it makes Liam Jones worth $8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back