Tom Jonas (Past Player)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've lost count, one good year an we are decimated. Do we get compensated financially at least? I think we miss out on an afl listed player as well.

I've lost count, one good year an we are decimated. Do we get compensated financially at least? I think we miss out on an afl listed player as well.

Yeah you get several compo amounts including for being drafted 1st rounder, which is more than a 2nd rounder, which is more than a 3rd etc and psd or rookie etc etc, on debut, on 10 or 20 games, on 50 games and on 100 games. I can't remember if there is compo for 200 games and later milestones. Pretty sure it's split with the junior club as well. I don't know what the % split is. I think all up its either $35,000 or $65,000 over a career. I've never been able to find official AFL documents/rules that set out the compo amounts, just heard/read it in the media.

Port put out the following in a fact sheet in 2002 about the PAFC being split in 1996. The amounts would have gone up since then

2. Upon establishment of the AFL side 13 players were recruited to the Power from the Magpies in the inaugural team with resultant transfer fees to Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club for approximately $303,000 in the 1997 year and further fees thereafter.

The advent of GWS and GC also a factor, its an extra 50+ players they've raided. Another reason to bemoan their existence.

I did a bit of research last night and couldn't find anything official, but I did find this post by a West Perth supporter on Footy Goss (a WA footy forum), posted in April this year - who has obviously done some research - but doesn't provide any links. Sounds like he might have talked to someone at West Perth or WAFL.

It seems like things have changed a fair bit in the last 4 or 5 years since I last looked at this stuff.

http://www.footygoss.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/13433/#176510

PAYMENT TO WAFL CLUBS FOR DRAFTS

Something that came up in conversation at one of the games and no one really sure how it worked so did a bit of research. Interesting stuff and it was mostly new to me.

David Swallow EF - Brandon Matera SF GCFC…Jack Darling retained by WPFC until end of 2010 to mention 3. Cla had 4/5 players drafted last year etc etc

When a player is drafted into the AFL each players host club gets $36,000 from the AFL club. Now that’s the simple part…

If that rookie is on the Dockers or Eagles list the club gets nothing as that player can play for his WAFL club… In the case of Jay Van Berlo (nominated Rookie promoted to Seniors is not on Senior list) WP receive nothing even though playing for Freo as still classified as a Rookie. Once Jay is upgrade to Senior list WP will receive $36,000. Same applies to Andrew Strijk once he is promoted to Seniors list the WPFC receives $36,000.

The sliding scale has been dropped e.g after 10 games a further payment of $15,000 was made to the clubs as it was found some clubs or players didn’t get past 9 games due to the payout.

Simply put:
A player drafted to the senior list from WP e.g Stephen Hill to Fremantle in the first year the club receives $36,000 from the Dockers. No further payments are made.

Rookies( Clubs) don’t get anything if remaining in their home state as they play for their home club. Each rookie player taken by eastern states AFL outfits earns their WAFL club $15,000, with the balance up to a full draftee payment if they are eventually elevated to the senior list.
In the case of WP we have Jay Van Berlo who is a rookie playing for Fremantle in place of an injured player (?)…WP receive nothing for this player until he is elevated to the Senior list ($36000)

Once a rookie is elevated to the Seniors list the home club receives $36,000.

In Conclusion
What the AFL has done in regards to Brandon Matera and David Swallow is unfair to their WAFL club,The WAFL and the Players concerned.

The $36000 if elevated to senior list is not enough considering the development by the WAFL club.

$15000 for a Rookie who moves interstate is insufficient whereas if the player remains in WA receiving nothing is unfair considering that player could and usually is used by the AFL club.

The AFL has made the rules to suit themselves and ignore and treat the WAFC/WAFL with contempt.

http://www.footygoss.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/13433/#176510

So whilst Jonas, Hay and Curnow are on Port's rookie list Norwood, North and Sturt get $0. Perth will get $15,000 for Irons. Centrals have already received their $$ for Mathew Westhoff. I guess the upside for the SANFL clubs is that Port are paying the wages of SANFL players and this does take some pressure of the SANFL clubs expenses and opens up the amount available under the SANFL salary cap.

But I agree with the West Perth fan that its not much and the SANFL clubs miss out under the rookie rules, in particular if the player is drafted by either Port or the Crows.

Jonas highlights from Port TV. Looks a strong body, eyes on the ball, hard at it and runs in straight lines. Disposal looked ok too.

With his pale complexion and dashing backline play, a nickname like Casper (in honour of Trevor Sorrell) wouldn't be out of the question.

Jonas highlights from Port TV. Looks a strong body, eyes on the ball, hard at it and runs in straight lines. Disposal looked ok too.

With his pale complexion and dashing backline play, a nickname like Casper (in honour of Trevor Sorrell) wouldn't be out of the question.

Agreed, 'for a Rookie' i'm reasonably happy with this pick. He already has some beef around his bones and would be able to step up physically in the AFL and good to see he doesn't mind to bump and block around the packs.

From the footage, his disposal seems pretty good also with nice low flat kicks that hit the targets which would be a change to see.

All the guys seem to have potential and isn't that what Rookie spots are there for, to develop and blood some future players.

Looks OK from that - steady skills and a bit of dash out of defence - in a similar mould to Hay, but taller, runs better lines and is more reliable with disposal.

Very good by foot, dual sided.

The reason why most dont notice him when playing is he usually does what has to be done. Gets the ball takes a couple of steps then hits a target with either foot. No flashy sideways moves, no dashing run and carry just good honest skillful footballer.

Port will try and get him to work on his possession rate and his leg speed.

Very solid rookie pick.

Tom was a really solid contributor for Norwood once he got his opportunity at league level. A dead set, back pocket, half back flanker (3rd defender type). Looked as though he belonged at SANFL league level from his first game and I'd suggest Nathan Bassett was the perfect coach for his style of play. Completely blanketed his opponents at times during the season and did a good job on a resting midfielder on a few occasions also. Probably had his worst game for the season in the Grand Final when made a couple of errors, but they were rare throughout his debut season.

Glad he's staying in Adelaide :thumbsu:

Davo75 did Jonas stand Callinan in the GF?? Is that why I never noticed him?

bbb, yep the AFL has basically given the GC and GWS an Australia wide zone with the 5 (GC) the 8 (GWS) rookies they could select 18 months before they enter and the 10 pre listed players they pick up 6 months before they play their first game. You have to get players from somewhere and the state leagues in particular WAFL, SANFL and VFL are going to be hit the hardest. Both clubs can't draft 100% immature bodied kids with all those selections.

It could have been Mannum, but heavy rain and their BS meant I was drifting in and out of interview.

i don't think he's from the mannum roos, i live within cooee of the captains of both a and b grade up here and never heard him mentioned by them nor have i seen him at training? mind you i'm usually drinking when chatting to the boys so it's easy to miss things :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive 7 year bump. Not sure if Jonas has another thread, I think the bigfooty search function is a broken.

But good to see Jonas is in form and getting some recognition.

18425275_1339559966157079_8971348842717374061_n.jpg

In All Australian form. Won't actually make the All Australian team as his profile outside of SA is limited to 'the guy that nearly killed Gaff' but if there is a better defender in the competition at the moment I would love to know who it is.

Massive 7 year bump. Not sure if Jonas has another thread, I think the bigfooty search function is a broken.

But good to see Jonas is in form and getting some recognition.

18425275_1339559966157079_8971348842717374061_n.jpg

Who would have thought that the Norwood Football Club could produce such a genuine hard nut like TJ (tongue in cheek).

By the way, Ebert is a glaring omission from the team of the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Jonas (Past Player)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back