Toast Tom Jonas Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

F6JjjOPbMAA1Nid

The recently retired Port Adelaide captain played all of his junior club footy at Payneham Norwood Union and represented Rostrevor College in school football.
According to sources, both PNU and Rostrevor OC have showed interest in the key back returning to community footy, with the latter the most likely to land him.
Jonas’ brother Sam could also be eyeing a return to ROC, having played there before signing with current club Ceduna in the Western Eyre FL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He find many things hard, never fulfilled his winery BBQ lunch and tour one at auction in support of the KI bushfires recovery. Paid plenty too. Avoidance is strong

Why do we mock someone like Jonas for opening up about his mental health issues?

Always thought the shit he copped was unnecessary, when all he seemed guilty of was diminishing form that hits most players at the end of their career But then he opens up about his mental health battles 12 months later and he just gets more ridicule for it.

Strange, I read that and thought many of his keyboard critics would find some perspective but obviously I was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wonder if the mask he put on was a ski mask.

Look, it's hard. It is hard to be in a position where a job you love has been taken away from you because your ability to perform it is deteriorating. But Jonas got the absolute best out of himself personally. He can be proud of his career on a personal level. He might have been able to retire more at peace if he'd won the flag he would have won under a better coach. He might have been able to make that flag happen if he was a better captain, more willing to bravely push for success instead of adhering to the established culture of failure and advocating for his player's rights to do things that made winning a flag harder.

… my god…

O’Captain, my it’s to hard

View attachment 2077487
That's what happens when you have no humility and stick around way too long.

The captain, the example to the team, should have some self awareness along with the club and know when to call stumps.

When poor decisions are made, there are ramifications and being the captain and getting dropped for poor form is the strange and bizarre rubbish the supporters have to put up with when the narcissistic boys club make terrible decision after terrible decision.

And IIRC, he didn't get a final game where he was chaired off. This is our captain!!! Poor all round.

Why do we mock someone like Jonas for opening up about his mental health issues?

Always thought the shit he copped was unnecessary, when all he seemed guilty of was diminishing form that hits most players at the end of their career But then he opens up about his mental health battles 12 months later and he just gets more ridicule for it.

Strange, I read that and thought many of his keyboard critics would find some perspective but obviously I was wrong.

I didn’t bother reading any of it tbh.

Blind Freddy could see he was as cooked as second-hand beef jerky, but was somehow allowed to continue on as captain going into season 2023.

Careers end. It sucks. As far as someone being set up for life after footy, he’s in a more privileged position than most.

Look, it's hard. It is hard to be in a position where a job you love has been taken away from you because your ability to perform it is deteriorating. But Jonas got the absolute best out of himself personally. He can be proud of his career on a personal level. He might have been able to retire more at peace if he'd won the flag he would have won under a better coach. He might have been able to make that flag happen if he was a better captain, more willing to bravely push for success instead of adhering to the established culture of failure and advocating for his player's rights to do things that made winning a flag harder.

People we’ve forced out of their comfort zone in the alleged pursuit of success:

• John Butcher
• Chad Wingard
• Brett Montgomery

There could be a fourth soon!

I didn’t bother reading any of it tbh.

Blind Freddy could see he was as cooked as second-hand beef jerky, but was somehow allowed to continue on as captain going into season 2023.

Careers end. It sucks. As far as someone being set up for life after footy, he’s in a more privileged position than most.
I think he was still reasonably serviceable in 2022, he was waning but he fell off a cliff in 2023. I think that is more on the club and timing. They clearly wanted Rozee or Butters to be the next captain, but neither were going to be ready for 2023. It was either go on one more year with Jonas or have someone like Wines as a stop gap.

The alternative would've been just as awkward.

I suggest reading it or listening to what Jonas has to say. The reaction on here is quite odd.

I think he was still reasonably serviceable in 2022, he was waning but he fell off a cliff in 2023. I think that is more on the club and timing. They clearly wanted Rozee or Butters to be the next captain, but neither were going to be ready for 2023. It was either go on one more year with Jonas or have someone like Wines as a stop gap.

The alternative would've been just as awkward.

I suggest reading it or listening to what Jonas has to say. The reaction on here is quite odd.

The alternative wasn't awkward at all. The alternative was Jonas standing down (as his three predecessors in the role all did) and having Wines captain the club - which he in effect ended up doing anyway. This would also have paved the way for Wines to continue as captain this year whilst bringing Rozee and Butters in as vice captains to prepare one of them for the captaincy moving forward.

End result because of poor decision making is a captain playing SANFL last year and an arguably too green captain this year.

Our inability to make tough calls has consequences beyond adding a few more years of riding the gravy train.

We could all see Jonas was clearly cooked. Giving him another 12 months, as captain no less, wasn't in his best interest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Tom Jonas Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back