Player Watch Tom Langdon (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sign him up. Cant lose more continuity In the backline just because we didn't pay him enough

The huge plus side of the pies from 02 to even 2011, we always had that great mix of experience and youth. When the older guys were nearing the end we had a ready made replacement who had a bit of experience. We need to somehow get back to that

Keeping Langdon keeps familiarity in our back 6

People need to get over his laconic playstyle. That's how he plays. Seems like the type of guy that would be more emotive if he received a flat white instead of a soy latte , as opposed to showing expression with 2 forwards chasing him out of the back 50.

Does Langdon come from Western Australia?If not then I can't understand why he would want to go to Fremantle,unless it's for a truck load of money,of course.

No. IIRC he’s a St Kevin’s lad.

He's at his peak
Buy low
Sell high

His grand final was the best game I believe he's ever played and his value is now extreme
But 1 game
However we have
Dunn Howe Reid Magden sack shaz Kelly Moore and potential in hore Goddard (st Kilda) as rookies or low pick ups
I'm happy to take a second round high pick

Dunn: A big KPD who takes the bigger opposition forwards. He still needs to work back from his ACL.
Howe: A good intercept player, better one-on-one defender than given credit for, but I'd argue that Langdon is a better mark in deep defence.
Madgen: Different player from Langdon, and in any case an uncertain prospect at the beginning of his development.
Kelly: Hasn't even been drafted yet. We won't know what he can do for another 2 seasons at least.
Scharenberg: Can complement Langdon. I love Shaz, and so I'm heartbroken that we won't be seeing him for a while...and won't be able to rely on his durability.
Murphy: A fantastic prospect. He's tough, reads it beautifully, and maybe he'll get regular senior footy in 2019. But he'll still take time.
Hore: He's not on our list. I love his work at VFL, but there's no suggestion that he'll be playing senior footy for us. In any case, he's untested at AFL.
Goddard: Not a proven performer, not to Langdon's standard, and he's not a Pie.
Goldsack: An able battler. Struggles at times, nowhere near as good as Langdon in the air, but will have his good moments.
Moore: Played a handful of games as a defender, unable to get onto the park in any consistent way.

From the above list, and based on what we know, only two of these players --Howe and Sack-- will be certain starters in 2019.
- Murphy is a possibility;
- Madgen and Kelly (if drafted) will almost certainly be learning their craft at VFL;
- Neither Hore (VFL) nor Goddard actually play for Collingwood, and are otherwise unknown in their standard;
- Dunn and Shaz will be rehab.
- Moore...will hopefully take the field and develop as a defender alongside Langdon, Howe, and Dunn.

Whether or not the GF was Langdon's best game, the fact is that he's had a strong finals series and a fantastic year. He has 'stood up'. The idea that we should simply offload such a player for a second rounder because he's at his 'peak' --rather than actively trying to hold onto a player and perhaps paying them a bit more because they're at their peak-- seems somewhat astray.

No. IIRC he’s a St Kevin’s lad.
Tom was a Melbourne Grammar boy, actually my brother in law had quite a bit to do with him there.
Has a number of good stories about Tom, and all good!
Very modest, well spoken and often used to go back to assist /observe footy training there.

JB's post above lays out why I hope the club signs him. Huge doubts over Shaz, final years for Dunne, Goldy Reid, the M's ( Madge, Murphy and Moore) are far from certain.

He's at his peak
Buy low
Sell high

His grand final was the best game I believe he's ever played and his value is now extreme
But 1 game
However we have
Dunn Howe Reid Magden sack shaz Kelly Moore and potential in hore Goddard (st Kilda) as rookies or low pick ups

Dunn is coming of a knee reco and a year or two from retirement.
Reid's body is breaking down at an alarming rate and, like Dunn, a year or two from retiring.
Madgen is still in the infancy of his AFL career so no real statement can be made good or bad about his long term play.
Next year will likely be Sack's last.
Shaz is recuperating from his third knee reco, and from the point of view of someone who's had three knee reco's, it's hard to exactly gauge how that'll impact his short term ability and long term durability, but it there will be an impact.
Kelly hasn't been drafted yet.
Moore has been injury prone, but I'm confident his body will come good, though he's still unproven as a defender.
Murray is an unknown at the moment given both his drop off in play (when playing) and his current issue.
Aish isn't really a defender, though he gave a decent accoount of himself when thrust into the position.
McClarty is unproven at AFL level.
Murphy looked very good, but is undersized for a defender and, like McClarty, unproven.
Goddard would be an embarrassing pickup.
That only leaves us with Howe, Langdon, and Maynard as our proven defenders who are still sometime from retirment, and in their prime.
Letting him walk or losing Langdon would be a significant blow to our defending stocks, even if we nab May though the trade period. He really is a must sign in my opinion.

Go back and read my responses to those posts. Started slowly when he returned last year but hit his straps around the Bumbers game. Maybe, as I've consistently suggested, the "most" you cite were overstating their points or were just plain wrong. Welcome (extremely belatedly) aboard the bandwagon, nice to see you've finally caught up.
Haha bandwagon? So even though most would agree (which I did then so not sure why I'm "late"), we're all wrong? I was on the bandwagon for him during the finals as he was outstanding, amongst popular opinion, does that make me wrong too and he was actually no good in the finals. I guess not because you undoubtedly agree.

Reject popular opinion simply because you disagree, great philosophy :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I wouldn't like to see him leave but it's hardly the end of the world. Without injury he's replaceable on our current list, and leaving would free up room to get a replacement.

Tom was a Melbourne Grammar boy, actually my brother in law had quite a bit to do with him there.
Has a number of good stories about Tom, and all good!
Very modest, well spoken and often used to go back to assist /observe footy training there.

JB's post above lays out why I hope the club signs him. Huge doubts over Shaz, final years for Dunne, Goldy Reid, the M's ( Madge, Murphy and Moore) are far from certain.

I’m with you, I really hope we keep him.

That's very subjective though isn't it.
I love how people here just can’t cope with the posturing of player managers.

Lucas has basically said “well, we got nothing from Collingwood to this point, and I’m not incompetent as his manager, so I’ve done my job”.

It’s as if people expect him to say, “well we know Collingwood have bigger names to chase, so Tom’s waiting longingly by the phone to hear how much money is left over, playing 80’s power ballads and watching the 2010 GF replay on DVD while wrapped up in a Pies’ scarf and beanie”.

I love how people here just can’t cope with the posturing of player managers.

Lucas has basically said “well, we got nothing from Collingwood to this point, and I’m not incompetent as his manager, so I’ve done my job”.

It’s as if people expect him to say, “well we know Collingwood have bigger names to chase, so Tom’s waiting longingly by the phone to hear how much money is left over, playing 80’s power ballads and watching the 2010 GF replay on DVD while wrapped up in a Pies’ scarf and beanie”.

Cox recently gave an insight how it works.

He said he didn’t really have any intention of leaving Collingwood at the end of last year (end of 2017) - he just told his manager to go off and do his job

He's at his peak
Buy low
Sell high

But 1 game
However we have
nah.

Because Tommy is asking for too much money.
How do we know that, since supposedly we only just put a contract in front of him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha bandwagon? So even though most would agree (which I did then so not sure why I'm "late"), we're all wrong? I was on the bandwagon for him during the finals as he was outstanding, amongst popular opinion, does that make me wrong too and he was actually no good in the finals. I guess not because you undoubtedly agree.

Reject popular opinion simply because you disagree, great philosophy :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I wouldn't like to see him leave but it's hardly the end of the world. Without injury he's replaceable on our current list, and leaving would free up room to get a replacement.

I've been aboard since 2014. You coming aboard a few weeks ago "during finals" does seem a tad late to me but happy for you to think otherwise.

I'll quite happily ignore/reject popular opinion when I know it's wrong. Let the sheep do/think what they will. I've got 2 eyes and I can see for myself.

Imagine if he stays and we sign May and everything else falls into place.

Schaz - May - Langdon
Quaynor - Moore - Howe

Still have Kelly to fit in there somehow!
Personally think it’s too top heavy. Don’t forget Crisp. I’d want to keep Langdon desperately but I wonder how Scharenberg will come up. As brutal as it may be, he’s the one who I think we’d be able to do without (even without May). That’s all contingent upon a fit Moore of course.

That's very subjective though isn't it.
How do we know that, since supposedly we only just put a contract in front of him
It’s not subjective and it quite simple, if we trade Tom Langdon it will be because he’s asking for too much money.

He’s rated highly at the club so he won’t be leaving for any other reason.

When a player elects to leave your club, you lose. It’s almost never a good result. Losing Tom would be disastrous, he was the only reason we didn’t get beaten by 5+ goals on the weekend. With our lack of defensive stocks you guys are happy to see him go for a second rounder? Forget that, without him we don’t win a final. Simple. He was probably our equal best player with Adams and was a star for the whole finals series when it counted. Clement-like. Must keep.

Good thing he doesn’t want to leave. He will re-sign shortly, in the meantime, please try to refrain from any negative comments about him, they look ridiculous and will look even more so next season. Get a grip everyone.

100% agree.

Must say I don’t understand the logic of trading Tommy for a pick which will help us land Quaynor and Kelly. While of course I want those two, why would we give up a defender who has taken 4-5 years to get this good, to bring in kids who are unproven defenders at senior level and might take 4-5 years to get this good...
Circular methods...

I’m with you, you don’t trade out someone in the hope you get someone like who you traded out.

Defies logic.

Managers be managing.

Managers and public trolling go together like love, marriage and ritual infanticide. Like ponies and viscera. Like Josh Schache and my heart. Its the circle of life. Its the vibe. Its on fire, on fire, oh God, the humanity. I seem to have lost my pants again. I need a drink.

I really, really need a drink.

Carry on.

I’m greedy.

I want all the good players.

I want to keep all our good players.

I want it all and pay little.

I’m greedy.

Dunn is coming of a knee reco and a year or two from retirement.
Reid's body is breaking down at an alarming rate and, like Dunn, a year or two from retiring.
Madgen is still in the infancy of his AFL career so no real statement can be made good or bad about his long term play.
Next year will likely be Sack's last.
Shaz is recuperating from his third knee reco, and from the point of view of someone who's had three knee reco's, it's hard to exactly gauge how that'll impact his short term ability and long term durability, but it there will be an impact.
Kelly hasn't been drafted yet.
Moore has been injury prone, but I'm confident his body will come good, though he's still unproven as a defender.
Murray is an unknown at the moment given both his drop off in play (when playing) and his current issue.
Aish isn't really a defender, though he gave a decent accoount of himself when thrust into the position.
McClarty is unproven at AFL level.
Murphy looked very good, but is undersized for a defender and, like McClarty, unproven.
Goddard would be an embarrassing pickup.
That only leaves us with Howe, Langdon, and Maynard as our proven defenders who are still sometime from retirment, and in their prime.
Letting him walk or losing Langdon would be a significant blow to our defending stocks, even if we nab May though the trade period. He really is a must sign in my opinion.

Yeah, but you forgot about Oxley. He can cover pretty much all of those guys.... :)

I’m greedy.

I want all the good players.

I want to keep all our good players.

I want it all and pay little.

I’m greedy.

I just want all the carrots. And maybe some oats. And about a million dollars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Tom Langdon (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back