Player Watch Tom Langdon (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

In the end I did not mind if he stayed or left.

However, we really need a big bodied defender - we have Dunn for maybe one more season but returning from a knee means there is no guarantee. So if we miss out on May then what do we do the season after next? My preference would be that Moore eventually plays forward and May would enable that.

On the flip side if we miss out on May then I would be happy to get Paton but not on massive dollars. Would prefer for him to be prepared to re do his contract and maybe tack on an extra year. Would be a great partner for Cox.

Would be happy with Beams but at the right price. Is 29 and has not played three seasons in a row for a while now. With Beams in the side, it won’t matter if Sidey is tagged or not. That’s the extra to mid we need.

I like the fact our team is staying together, Langdon has been very good for us in a depleted and injury riddled team. I also believe he will improve further along with a large percentage of this 2018 team. Moore will be a superstar and Langdon will benefit from this.

Starting to like our approach to contracts
* Degoey stayed for less
* Moore stayed for less
* Elliott stayed for less
* Langdon stayed for less

Really good Clubs do this stuff
They all seem to be re-signing for two years, so we’d better win a flag or two, pronto!

* Degoey stayed for less
* Moore stayed for less

Degoey needs to be re signed for 5-7 years ASAP. So does Moore if he is injury free.

I think they’re all signing shortened contracts because the current rights deal is up for negotiation in the next couple of years, although, I’m not 100% sure of this.

After all that he stays a pie! Looks like he wanted to stay all along however his manager Scott Lucas was proactively seeking offers to try and entice Tom elsewhere for more of a signing bonus..... if so, even more rapt he chose to stay

I have to admit that I have had occasion to refer to Tom as Clangdon, have wondered out loud if he has smoked some weed as pregame relaxation as I can hear the tick tick of his brain making decisions when kicking out of the backline (noting halftime munchies seem to help on this), have groaned at games when he loses his feet at contests and puzzled at the lanky preraphaelite man bun hairdo. I plead guilty to it all but then. as the backline curse took defenders down one by one like the characters in an Agatha Christie novel, a category B rookie played on Buddy and Tom was left alone, I started to overcome my prejudice and see him take responsibility. This then grew into the final series where he still had remnants of his alter ego, Clangdon but the Tom we saw in his first season started to reappear more frequently. lackadaisical suddenly became poise under pressure. Having said that it is as yet unclear whether his astounding final series will be continued and to get something of value you must give something of value. As he is not KPD, to put it into terminology Tom would understand his share price may have peaked and he is an area of the ground and role that could be covered in the absence of injuries at the level of this year (hopefully an anomaly). If we wanted May he was an obvious choice as to get value you must trade value but thankfully we are going with Roughead who sounds like a finer person and drafting Will Kelly for the future. Keeping the group together seems to be a priority.

With Buck’s discovery of Japanese philosophy of kintsugi behind the resilience of the year, the rejoining of Tom for my part is laced with gold, and he and the team will be better for the experience of choosing actively to stay and remain a part of this special group. Touring other teams facilities and meeting with them may have reinforced how good the culture and environment at Collingwood is in 2018.

Now all he needs to do is rethink the hair...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Well said Queenie Hearts.
I have always been a fan of Tom's.
However, when the talk of him leaving arose I began to justify it in my mind.
No more missed rushed behinds, no more kicking into the back of a player leaving the designated area.
An opportunity to leverage a decent pick and put it to good use.
If, he has decided to stay I will once again relish in his talents.
At the same time I will hope like hell he simply ignores Mary Jane and doesn't turn to another alternative for the desired urgency:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CFC2010, he chose unders and loyalty.
Happy with tom staying, but it makes it harder to get Beams though.

Fantastic news.

It now proves to me that our Club has turned the corner. No more selfish people remain.
The easy option was for Tom to take the money.

Becoming a Collingwood Premiership player is what it is all about.

Well done Tom. :thumbsu:

After all that he stays a pie! Looks like he wanted to stay all along however his manager Scott Lucas was proactively seeking offers to try and entice Tom elsewhere for more of a signing bonus..... if so, even more rapt he chose to stay
Was doing his job as a manager. We clearly low balled him and treated him poorly.

I for one am glad Tom Longeron has re-signed.:drunk:

Means we miss out on May but get Beams.

Pity Hine isn't in charge now otherwise I could post "Hines means Beams!":oops::drunk:

Much LOLs Anzac Day.

Unexpectedly when reading your post the Hunters & Collectors classic “Do you see what I see?” chorus starts playing in my head.

Clearly, you do. The point , handing the ball back to Ryan as he lay on the ground in the dying moments of the GF helped my rationalisation about Tom going to Sydney. I also reflected on the moments where he decided to switch the ball backwards so slowly that he would catch his team mate unawares and deliver it neatly to the opposition in front of goal.

Even thinking about how many bad hairdos should be permitted in the team at any one time (we can forgive the mouse club boys Jordy and Braydon on form for bad hair but Broomhead , Darcy, and Jamie could be back on the field and we all know they have been recidivists in hair crime).

I too hope he rethinks the pregame routine but does not consult with his old backline friend Sam on how to increase the energy levels (doesn’t his bat of hell running game make more sense now).

Perhaps he just needs to start his routine 2 hours earlier because he seems to come to life in the second half.

In the spirit of kintsugi, I am celebrating Tom’s strengths and embracing his flaws as it is what makes him unique.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What a fan-boy post.

Pathetic.

Those with footy nuance, have quite clearly acknowledged his last 6-7 games of the season as being excellent. Including a wonderful Grand Final.

But you keep being a bleeding heart about how you were 'right' all along, what a genius......:drunk:
Not quite so sure about the bolded part. There was a bit of a 'dime a dozen' and 'easily replaceable' attitude displayed by many, along with an assumption that Langdon was more interested in the money than the club. Anyway, I am glad he is staying.

Last edited:
* Degoey stayed for less
* Moore stayed for less

It's one reason why I'm glad that Lynch chose Richmond. Bringing in an outsider on huge money, could easily upset the vibe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Tom Langdon (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back