Player Watch Tom Langdon (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting choice. I reckon we have drafted him with a view to playing through the midfield with the option of a back flank, same as Scharenberg.. Although his video shows he can go forward and kick goals too.

Not disappointed with the selection at 65.

Raul's Phanty

Tom Langdon, Sandringham Dragons 188cm, 84kg
Player Comparison:
Langdon is another player who missed out on draft selection in 2012, but has shown enough to be given an opportunity on an AFL list. Langdon impressed for both the Sandringham Dragons and Zebras this season and has put himself back into draft contention. Langdon is an elite kick of the football, he has terrific skills and is also a fantastic decision-maker. He manages to accumulate large numbers of possessions and he also is an outstanding decision-maker. Langdon also possesses leadership qualities, something that clubs will like about him.
Gee how didn't he go top 10? Elite kick, terrific skills and fantastic decision maker. Accumulate large number of possessions and AGAIN outstanding decision maker. Leadership qualities.

Did one of his family write this or is this poster overly generous.

This is typical Hine recruiting and I love it.

When Hine realises there is a deficiency in the list, he loads up on a number of similar kids in the hope that a few come on and there is pressure on selection for that role.

In 05 we needed mids and we got Pendles, Thomas, Cook and Stanley.

In 06 we needed talls and we got Brown, Reid and Dawes.

You can see similar patterns over the years if we've needed pace, or utilities or rucks.

This year Hine has identified height as a concern and also players who can play a variety of roles. We have gone and got Jessie White, Karnezis, Scharenberg and now Langdon and Marsh. This goes with Oxley last year.

Gives our list versatility. The draftees all have good speed and foot skills as well which is definitely a need.

But with more pace and size.

Oxleys name is apt Ox.

4.jpeg

Where did you here this?

copied from another thread.

Hey guys, was lucky enough to be at the draft last night, and even luckier to sneak onto the main floor and mingle with all the coaches, players and recruiters.

Had a nice chat with Bucks and he said that Scharenberg was rated in the best 2-3 all year, and was very blazen when asked about his foot injuries, saying they were only very minor and hopefully we have got a gem in the way Selwood fell in the draft. I mentioned that I loved Scharenbergs rebound work and how he read the play, and Buck's response was... Yeah he's very good, we'll be looking to play him in the midfield.

When asked about Aish and where he was ranked, Bucks said right along side Scharenberg.

He also said that they ranked Langdon at pick 17 on their list and thought he was a bargain. He seemed to enjoy talking about Freeman, and said that he'll add some dash that we've lost from Thomas, as well as gaining Marsh who is super quick and tall, and they just couldn't let him slide.

Was spewing that I missed talking to Dekka... While I was chatting to Bucks, he disappeared to the interview room and didn't reappear.

Scharenberg seems like a top bloke. Level headed and focused. He'll achieve big things... Touch wood! Was lucky enough to get a pic with Scharenberg in his new Collingwood shirt... and his mum was super proud of her son too haha What a night

I really like our selection of Langdon. He is a mature age player at 19 who worked hard to get another opportunity at the AFL by improving himself. That says plenty about the character of the kid. His performances in the VFL suggest that he is not too far off AFL and is ready made depth in an area of the ground we could certainly use it. Add in the fact he has some attributes that we lack out of the back half with his kicking skills and decision making and you can appreciate the clubs excitement about having him available so late in the piece.

I would like to know from those who have watched a bit of him play (I'm looking your way Snoop Dog Knightmare stkildathunda) what is he like defensively? What type of forwards does he play on?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like our selection of Langdon. He is a mature age player at 19 who worked hard to get another opportunity at the AFL by improving himself. That says plenty about the character of the kid. His performances in the VFL suggest that he is not too far off AFL and is ready made depth in an area of the ground we could certainly use it. Add in the fact he has some attributes that we lack out of the back half with his kicking skills and decision making and you can appreciate the clubs excitement about having him available so late in the piece.

I would like to know from those who have watched a bit of him play (I'm looking your way Snoop Dog Knightmare stkildathunda) what is he like defensively? What type of forwards does he play on?

I actually took Langdon in the bigfooty trial phantom draft a few weeks back now when we expanded out to the rookie draft.

I like his game.

He's a tall back flanker with some versatility to his game. High production overager who should have been drafted last year after a strong second half to 2012 and has continued that this season and continued his development which is promising.
He's an excellent user of the footy. Excellent intercept marker. Also has the scope to develop through the midfield and has shown signs up the field and on a wing also so there's a lot to like.

I would have strongly considered him as a rookie but with the productions he has on the board as one of the better performed TAC Cup players and with his VFL performances in the second half of the season I have no issue with us taking him in the national draft.

Defensively he's fine but not outstanding. He's relatively sound 1v1. He's also relatively athletic and can stay with both guys unless they're really freakishly strong or quick. He's not limited to a particular type and not someone I'd pidgeonhole to particular matchups as someone who more instead players a specific position regardless of matchups.

He's not someone I'd be playing deep in defence. His strength if more finding the footy up the field and he's a defender who is more offensively inclined but without being a defensive liability as could be said of say Maxwell in the advanced stage of his career that he's in.

Could look good off a back flank or wing and a good choice as someone who is a good list fit but also represents some value others may not have recognised.

Pies website already added 4cm to Langdon :p

Langdon, a 193cm utility, was compared by Hine with established Magpie Tyson Goldsack.

Yeh I noted the error in Dekka's draft review.

The first thing that come to mind were the numbers that must have been flowing thru his head. After all the last 2 players selected were possibly never going to eventuate based on his post draft interview.

I actually took Langdon in the bigfooty trial phantom draft a few weeks back now when we expanded out to the rookie draft.

I like his game.

He's a tall back flanker with some versatility to his game. High production overager who should have been drafted last year after a strong second half to 2012 and has continued that this season and continued his development which is promising.
He's an excellent user of the footy. Excellent intercept marker. Also has the scope to develop through the midfield and has shown signs up the field and on a wing also so there's a lot to like.

I would have strongly considered him as a rookie but with the productions he has on the board as one of the better performed TAC Cup players and with his VFL performances in the second half of the season I have no issue with us taking him in the national draft.

Defensively he's fine but not outstanding. He's relatively sound 1v1. He's also relatively athletic and can stay with both guys unless they're really freakishly strong or quick. He's not limited to a particular type and not someone I'd pidgeonhole to particular matchups as someone who more instead players a specific position regardless of matchups.

He's not someone I'd be playing deep in defence. His strength if more finding the footy up the field and he's a defender who is more offensively inclined but without being a defensive liability as could be said of say Maxwell in the advanced stage of his career that he's in.

Could look good off a back flank or wing and a good choice as someone who is a good list fit but also represents some value others may not have recognised.

Yeah agree with Knightmare. What I noticed when he was playing for Sandringham (note I only saw his VFL games) that we used to try use him as that playmaker and loose man in defence alot. You'd then be able to use his foot skills to set up play, or even breaking through middle.

Defensively he was pretty good. As I mentioned earlier I see him as that Andrew Mackie style player, but can see him as Maxwell type player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Tom Langdon (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back