Player Watch Tom Langdon (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hows his pace IYO KM?

Relatively quick for his height. He's not a freak athlete but not slow either.

The facts are he did in 2013 as he went from 184 to 189cm's over the period of the year.

A further 4 cm's in the last couple of weeks is probably stretching the truth.

Langdon was 187cm last year. 189cm this year.

Pies website already added 4cm to Langdon :p

Langdon, a 193cm utility, was compared by Hine with established Magpie Tyson Goldsack.​

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2013-11-22/pies-add-different-mix-says-hine

I'm glad Hine made the Goldsack comparison as this was my first thought too. Overage utility about 190cm who has the versatility to play a variety of roles.

Sounds like he had a ripper of a year this season after missing out on getting picked up in his first draft year. Reading his comments on Pies website today I love that he has used missing out as extra motivation to go back and work harder to get back there. Think Bucks will like that attitude.

I know SC stats aren't everything but read on twitter tonight (Footy Freak) that Langdon's SC average last year was only behind Boyd, Kelly, Crouch and Salem. That form line stacks up pretty well. Hopefully another Hine late gem.

Welcome to the Pies Tommy.

** Just saw that the SC stat had already been raised. Tails with the late news.

I actually took Langdon in the bigfooty trial phantom draft a few weeks back now when we expanded out to the rookie draft.

I like his game.

He's a tall back flanker with some versatility to his game. High production overager who should have been drafted last year after a strong second half to 2012 and has continued that this season and continued his development which is promising.
He's an excellent user of the footy. Excellent intercept marker. Also has the scope to develop through the midfield and has shown signs up the field and on a wing also so there's a lot to like.

I would have strongly considered him as a rookie but with the productions he has on the board as one of the better performed TAC Cup players and with his VFL performances in the second half of the season I have no issue with us taking him in the national draft.

Defensively he's fine but not outstanding. He's relatively sound 1v1. He's also relatively athletic and can stay with both guys unless they're really freakishly strong or quick. He's not limited to a particular type and not someone I'd pidgeonhole to particular matchups as someone who more instead players a specific position regardless of matchups.

He's not someone I'd be playing deep in defence. His strength if more finding the footy up the field and he's a defender who is more offensively inclined but without being a defensive liability as could be said of say Maxwell in the advanced stage of his career that he's in.

Could look good off a back flank or wing and a good choice as someone who is a good list fit but also represents some value others may not have recognised.

Quicky I think that is about right. LIke Knighta I had in my 1st round of the rookie and to be fair i thought that was about right for him.

Knighta was real keen on him last year to his credit and he was one we disagreed on as I didnt really think of him much more than a rookie in a pretty good draft. It was clear as to why he and guys like Haynes didnt get selected. When I saw him this year I thought he was a lot better than last year. To be fair given he was a year older, had improved a lot, shown his capability vs men and it was a weaker draft it should have stood out to me more that he was probably going to be in the mix earlier. I must admit when I saw Lemmens go I thought hang on a few 19yos are now in the mix and i was expecting them later.

I probably saw 6 of his games this year and I thought he got better in all of them. I know people have suggested he went through the middle but he played HF and HB when I saw him. I thought he was really good at HB and he had transitioned to senior footy well. He seemed to be all over the pace of it, was calm in his choices with the ball and he lowers his eyes which is a trait I love. I would want to use him more as an outlet option in your back half but thats not to say he cant go 1:1 ...he can and his athletic ability gives him the scope of looking after small fwds or 3rd tall types. He is still pretty wiry so dont expect a heap. Actually has a bit of the Adam Oxley / Ty GOldy about him to be fair.

Pies website already added 4cm to Langdon :p

Langdon, a 193cm utility, was compared by Hine with established Magpie Tyson Goldsack.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2013-11-22/pies-add-different-mix-says-hine
He chucked a few cm on Marsh for good measure too :thumbsu:

Derek Hine Says: "He is a 194-cm forward from Margaret River who played for East Fremantle for one year. He has a lot of work to do but he has extraordinary speed, has really good size and really good power in his game."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed how well we've done with choosing defenders late in the draft. (Seedsman #77, Williams, Toovey, Maxwell, Keeffe and O'Brien ALL rookies!)
Good sign for Langdon I guess

I noticed how well we've done with choosing defenders late in the draft. (Seedsman #77, Williams, Toovey, Maxwell, Keeffe and O'Brien ALL rookies!)
Good sign for Langdon I guess

Arguable that we recruited Seedsman, Williams, Toovey, Keeffe as defenders.

Welcome to Collingwood Tom Langdon :D

At pick 65 we opted to go with Tom Langdon as opposed to Cameron Conlon which a lot of people were hoping for. I must admit that I don't know too much about Langdon but after reading a little bit about him and seeing some highlights of him I must say I can see why we went for him. I admire Tom for the fact that while he missed out on last year's draft he never gave up and this motivated to work harder this year and he demonstrated some excellent leadership qualities with Sandringham Dragons this year and he looks like a composed player who could develop into a useful player for the club. Definitely worth the punt in my view, especially since we need more leaders at the club.

306395-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Tom Langdon (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back