Player Watch Tom Langdon (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

If Langdon did want a pay-day somewhere else of the magnitude suggested I'd be happy for him to get it, for us to get the compensation and to roll on. I have a lot of feels about Murphy as a prospect and reckon he could be a very nice user coming out of defence if we throw a bunch of games at him in 2019.

If Langdon did want a pay-day somewhere else of the magnitude suggested I'd be happy for him to get it, for us to get the compensation and to roll on. I have a lot of feels about Murphy as a prospect and reckon he could be a very nice user coming out of defence if we throw a bunch of games at him in 2019.

Murphy and Apples both showed a lot, like the look of them both

The talk of Langdon to Fremantle on 600k a year is absolute bullshit. The rumour was spread by an AFL trade account on twitter. The account is run by a friend of my friend, who has admitted that they have no inside sources and just make stuff up for a laugh.

Look, Langers may well be on the move, but don’t buy into the info from those twitter accounts. Bunch of nuffies with no clue.

The talk of Langdon to Fremantle on 600k a year is absolute bullshit. The rumour was spread by an AFL trade account on twitter. The account is run by a friend of my friend, who has admitted that they have no inside sources and just make stuff up for a laugh.

Look, Langers may well be on the move, but don’t buy into the info from those twitter accounts. Bunch of nuffies with no clue.
I think the only reason he may go is for the promise of midfield time.

There’s no need for player managers to make public statement every time an 11-year-old posts their client’s name on a Facebook rumour page.
Exactly right.

Some nuffie on a Facebook page puts this out, social media run with it. And now an AFL journo claims it as 'whispers'.

FFS.
It’s also known that some media types set up “posts” on burner accounts so they can report stuff as rumour, or potential trade.

Listening to Scott Lucas, if we lose Langdon it is completely our fault.

Basically we didn't have a contract offer in front of him while we were into Lynch and May.

Now they are no chance, we have offered Tom a contract.

Really poor by us if that is factual.

Basically we didn't have a contract offer in front of him while we were into Lynch and May.

Lets hope he stays ... sounds like it could go either way. Wonder who the other clubs are...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Posted this in the main trade thread but appropriate here too:

Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast when you prioritise one scenario over another. You can't appease everyone it's the nature of juggling list management and it's common for players to feel jaded with offers if they feel they are being under valued. We see it all the time where a player will leave after getting a perceived low ball offer during the year. Can't blame him for looking out for himself or the club for taking a direction that is perceived at the time to be of more benefit. Who can honestly say that they saw Langdon's second half of the year and finals series coming?

Look he might still stay and I would be upset to see him go but he is probably at his highest trade value now after his strong finish to the year. If Darcy stays we probably have the depth to be able to cover Langdon's loss.

If we can turn a former pick 65 into a more pressing list need or a top 20 pick then it's just the cost of business; no hard feelings.

Yep sounded like we had handled it pretty poorly. Surely, even with our interest in May, we still intended to keep Langdon. I was stunned to hear we hadn't even put an offer in front of him before now. Wouldn't blame him for telling us to stick it.

Yep sounded like we had handled it pretty poorly. Surely, even with our interest in May, we still intended to keep Langdon. I was stunned to hear we hadn't even put an offer in front of him before now. Wouldn't blame him for telling us to stick it.
They might have thought Langdon was expendable after we signed Scharenberg for 2 years (before doing his ACL).

They might have thought Langdon was expendable after we signed Scharenberg for 2 years (before doing his ACL).

Yeah maybe. Funnily enough I think it's the other way around - and I would've said that pre the most recent ACL. Scharenberg is the one that's expendable in my mind. Langdon is durable, reliable and versatile.

Yeah maybe. Funnily enough I think it's the other way around - and I would've said that pre the most recent ACL. Scharenberg is the one that's expendable in my mind. Langdon is durable, reliable and versatile.
Agree. I’ll chuck if Langdon goes because of this stuff up.

Ideally we keep Langdon. Has been part of the machinery down back in our system which has worked well.

But he is expendable and we have some depth here so not a disaster. As others have said his trade value is at its highest and we may move him on for a second rounder (?) that may help us land Quaynor and Kelly for the long term whilst next year we get games into Apples and Murphy down back.

Ideally we keep Langdon. Has been part of the machinery down back in our system which has worked well.

But he is expendable and we have some depth here so not a disaster. As others have said his trade value is at its highest and we may move him on for a second rounder (?) that may help us land Quaynor and Kelly for the long term whilst next year we get games into Apples and Murphy down back.

I don't think there would be one player on the team I would say is expendable. Even those that get delisted. They are people, they may not fit on our list but using terms like expendable makes our sport sound so American.

After two injury-interrupted seasons in 2016 and 2017, Langdon started looking like a more matured version of the dependable interceptor we saw in his early years. He's now become something of a leader back there, and his ability to mix in with different defensive combinations is impressive. He's a proven finals performer, and he's just turned 24.

Langdon might be determined to make a new start, but I doubt it. Collingwood should make a heavier investment in him.

After two injury-interrupted seasons in 2016 and 2017, Langdon started looking like a more matured version of the dependable interceptor we saw in his early years. He's now become something of a leader back there, and his ability to mix in with different defensive combinations is impressive. He's a proven finals performer, and he's just turned 24.

Langdon might be determined to make a new start, but I doubt it. Collingwood should make a heavier investment in him.

100% agree.

Must say I don’t understand the logic of trading Tommy for a pick which will help us land Quaynor and Kelly. While of course I want those two, why would we give up a defender who has taken 4-5 years to get this good, to bring in kids who are unproven defenders at senior level and might take 4-5 years to get this good...

100% agree.

Must say I don’t understand the logic of trading Tommy for a pick which will help us land Quaynor and Kelly. While of course I want those two, why would we give up a defender who has taken 4-5 years to get this good, to bring in kids who are unproven defenders at senior level and might take 4-5 years to get this good...
Because Tommy is asking for too much money.

He shouldn't take unders, but comes from family with big money. Deal will get done once they once they sort May situation. Contract is about comparative value. Doesn't want May to be getting double him...just massage his ego a bit...

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Tom Langdon (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back