Traded Tom Mitchell - Traded to Collingwood as part of 3-way trade (details tbc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitchell will be a fantastic get for Collingwood. Not sure what Hawthorn are thinking giving him away, maybe tanking?
He doesn’t fit with Mitchell style of play, and was played predominantly outside of the centre bounce this year in an attempt to fast track Newcombe, Moore, Ward etc.

He doesn’t fit with Mitchell style of play, and was played predominantly outside of the centre bounce this year in an attempt to fast track Newcombe, Moore, Ward etc.
There is no “not fitting the style” there’s just no point having him in the middle taking a predominant role when he won’t be in the next tilt.

Pick 27 for Mitchell and 4th rounder is about right I reckon. He’s a better player than Adam’s and not injured every 3 weeks, instantly makes the woods a better team.
They play the same position but are very different players, Adams is much more of a burst player, loves to run with it, agree Mitch is more talented though, i actually think both could play in the same side, one thing’s for sure if Adams is fit he plays, Titch could take us to the next step if we got him.

Yes he does make his teammates better, he also doesn't make Worpel worse, Worpel made himself worse.

And don't compare him to Priddis, you'll see in 2023 with him playing a number one role at Collingwood as to why he's gonna be one of the biggest steals even for a future second.
Not worth it, Scotland has a deep hate for Hawthorn and always takes passive aggressive digs at anything Hawthorn. He cant seem to move on from the 1991 and 2015 premierships. His hate runs deep.

All fair and reasonable, but I'm not really framing the market - at least not on Hawthorn's recent form. I'm not fussed if he moves or stays (wouldn't imagine we are a suitor for a 29 year old anyone), I just don't see a long queue forming around the corner. I thought he might be a good pick up for Richmond last year, but they seem focused on getting Taranto/Hopper now. He possibly suits Geelong with Selwood going. Plenty of other teams wouldn't be interested.

Mitchell is a good player but as an opposition supporter you don't panic that you are playing Hawthorn with him vs without. Does he make O'Meara or Newcombe or Worpel or Wingard etc better? I'd say not really. Worpel won a B&F when he wasn't there and played some VFL this year. A lot of that is due to your mids being a bit samey, but he does remind me of Matt Priddis in his last few years with us. Anyway good luck to him if he does move.
So arrogant, maybe West Coast should pay more respect to opposition players. Only winning 2 games in a season with a percentage of 59 is a disgraceful effort by a team.
Round 23 2019 was another good example of not showing respect to a team. What should have been a decent tilt with a great team at back to back was pushed of the rails.

Last edited:
There is no “not fitting the style” there’s just no point having him in the middle taking a predominant role when he won’t be in the next tilt.
There’s more to it than his age. It’s his ball use.

No and especially not now that they're losing their best players. Most likely bottom four next year.
Sicily, Newcombe, Moore and Hardwick finished 1-4 in our B&F. Mitchell 5th, Gunston 11th.

Mitchell isn’t our best player anymore, and Gunston kicked just 14 goals in 10 games against the top 10 sides.

We need his midfield minutes for the kids and he can’t really play anywhere else.

Pies can use an elite ball winner, and have the players around him to use him properly (win ball and distribute, not kick I50).

Titch gets a realistic chance at finals footy/flag which I’m pretty sure he doesn’t at Hawthorn over the next 3/4 years.

Win win win in my books.

Get it done for a second or whatever this one is a no brainer for everyone involved.

Sicily, Newcombe, Moore and Hardwick finished 1-4 in our B&F. Mitchell 5th, Gunston 11th.

Mitchell isn’t our best player anymore, and Gunston kicked just 14 goals in 10 games against the top 10 sides.
Well Mitchell finished 5th playing out of position. It doesn't matter if he's your best player or not he is still clearly one of your best. Gunston kicked 32 goals in 16 games. Losing them both will definitely hurt.

It's fine to get rid of them but it's a clear indication that you don't mind going backwards before you go forwards, which I think is a risky strategy.

No and especially not now that they're losing their best players. Most likely bottom four next year.
Well Mitchell finished 5th playing out of position. It doesn't matter if he's your best player or not he is still clearly one of your best. Gunston kicked 32 goals in 16 games. Losing them both will definitely hurt.

It's fine to get rid of them but it's a clear indication that you don't mind going backwards before you go forwards, which I think is a risky strategy.
I don’t mind a club cashing in on its collateral in Hawthorn’s case.

They’ve got some quality kids, and they want to build something for the future - it makes sense to try and get value out of Mitchell.

They still won 8 games last year, so I wouldn’t exactly call it tanking though - they might win 5-8 again in 2023 during a rebuild. You’d take that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunston left on his own accord, nothing much we could do about that when he wanted a fresh start.
We’ll get Wingard and Brockman back too, who can cover that loss of goals, so I can’t see us going backwards with the amount of upside in the group.

Hawks over 26 next year: Breust, Wingard, Frost, O’Meara, Sicily, Impey, Amon, Hardwick

Hawks mature mids: O’Meara, Newcombe (physically if not age/games), Amon, Worpel, Moore? Nash?

It’s a seriously deep cut from Sammy.

I have no issues moving T Mitchell on but the Hawks are nearly at the stage where you’d use a rookie spot on a playing assistant coach if you could find the right guy. Not sure you want the number of guys under 20 just finding their way in the afl system to drastically outnumber the guys who are 26+.

Hawks over 26 next year: Breust, Wingard, Frost, O’Meara, Sicily, Impey, Amon, Hardwick

Hawks mature mids: O’Meara, Newcombe (physically if not age/games), Amon, Worpel, Moore? Nash?

It’s a seriously deep cut from Sammy.

I have no issues moving T Mitchell on but the Hawks are nearly at the stage where you’d use a rookie spot on a playing assistant coach if you could find the right guy. Not sure you want the number of guys under 20 just finding their way in the afl system to drastically outnumber the guys who are 26+.
Agree. That's why there's talk of us trying to salary dump trade for a Whitfield.

Mitchell would have been top 2 if he wasn't played out of position.

I think he's still a better player than Newcomb will ever be

I don’t mind a club cashing in on its collateral in Hawthorn’s case.

They’ve got some quality kids, and they want to build something for the future - it makes sense to try and get value out of Mitchell.

They still won 8 games last year, so I wouldn’t exactly call it tanking though - they might win 5-8 again in 2023 during a rebuild. You’d take that.
It's not really cashing in when they will get nothing for him.

Mitchell would have been top 2 if he wasn't played out of position.

I think he's still a better player than Newcomb will ever be
That says more about you than Newcombe to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Tom Mitchell - Traded to Collingwood as part of 3-way trade (details tbc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back