Tom Williams gone for 10 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

If this news is true, we are officially stuffed.

WHOOO NELLY WE ARE STUFFED ? SOME OF U BLOKES ARE STUFFED IN THE HEAD , !!!HE HAS HARDLY SET THE WORLD ON FIRE , HE HAS PLAYED 2 GOOD GAMES AND A COUPLE OF SERVICABLE GAMES . AND HE GOT TOWLED UP LATE IN THE YEAR BY HAWTHORN GEELONG AND NORTH.

AS JACK DYER WOULD SAY ! A GOOD ORDINARY PLAYER AT THE MOMENT,
HE COULD TURN INTO A CHAMP ITS EARLY DAYS.

Terrible news but injuries happen unfortunately.:(

Although in juries bring opportunity and i think its time to stand up Mulligan :thumbsu:

their is something about Mulligan that really interests me about him. I hope he is giving a go at a KP spot.

Terrible news but injuries happen unfortunately.:(

Although in juries bring opportunity and i think its time to stand up Mulligan :thumbsu:

their is something about Mulligan that really interests me about him. I hope he is giving a go at a KP spot.

Me too.

I'm interested in the fact that he goes out with a chick in her late 30's who is absolutely loaded.

WHOOO NELLY WE ARE STUFFED ? SOME OF U BLOKES ARE STUFFED IN THE HEAD , !!!HE HAS HARDLY SET THE WORLD ON FIRE , HE HAS PLAYED 2 GOOD GAMES AND A COUPLE OF SERVICABLE GAMES . AND HE GOT TOWLED UP LATE IN THE YEAR BY HAWTHORN GEELONG AND NORTH.

AS JACK DYER WOULD SAY ! A GOOD ORDINARY PLAYER AT THE MOMENT,
HE COULD TURN INTO A CHAMP ITS EARLY DAYS.

Perhaps I was being a bit dramatic, but it would be frustrating to have a KPP go down before the season starts.

There is a bit of the old "woe is me" attitude permeating through this board.....and that's fair enough. We finished the year poorly, there was off-field drama in the offseason, disturbing signs in the Essendon NAB match, concerns amongst supporters as to whether we have addressed the areas of weakness properly, and our players are going down left right and centre with injuries. Some of those players are important regulars, some are players on the rise, and some rate higher than their performances so far might justify due to their potential and size (get well soon Tom).

Bulldogs supporters are quick to take the defeatist approach (hey, why not...we've certainly suffered enough over the years). Sack the coach, get rid of player X, haul the fitness staff over the coals, hell.....bring back our old name. It's understandable....my own confidence in the year is starting to ebb.

Imagine though if we can overcame the injury hurdles, win round one for Johnno, win three of our first four matches. It would be an unbelievable kick start to the season....against the odds....in spite of all the doomsayers. Imagine if Cooney and Griffen get a flyer and start regularly playing up to their ability. Imagine if Mulligan gets elevated from the rookie list and shows enough to suggest that finally we are the club that manages to pluck someone out of obscurity that everyone else missed.

Imagine the reaction of the media, our supporters, those members who were sitting on the fence about re-signing for this season. The facilities at the Whitten Oval continue to be developed, there is a buzz around the club again. No talk of the coach being on his last chance and no rumours about a rift between Rocket and Rose.

Rose coloured glasses?...absolutely. Is it unlikely...maybe? Is it possible?...yes. Let's see how much character our blokes can show this year before we write the season off. If it all goes pear shaped, then I'll swear off this board while it goes into meltdown......but wouldn't this be a great place if we win a few games at the start?

Live in hope. Every dog has its day....eventually.

There is a bit of the old "woe is me" attitude permeating through this board.....and that's fair enough. We finished the year poorly, there was off-field drama in the offseason, disturbing signs in the Essendon NAB match, concerns amongst supporters as to whether we have addressed the areas of weakness properly, and our players are going down left right and centre with injuries. Some of those players are important regulars, some are players on the rise, and some rate higher than their performances so far might justify due to their potential and size (get well soon Tom).

Bulldogs supporters are quick to take the defeatist approach (hey, why not...we've certainly suffered enough over the years). Sack the coach, get rid of player X, haul the fitness staff over the coals, hell.....bring back our old name. It's understandable....my own confidence in the year is starting to ebb.

Imagine though if we can overcame the injury hurdles, win round one for Johnno, win three of our first four matches. It would be an unbelievable kick start to the season....against the odds....in spite of all the doomsayers. Imagine if Cooney and Griffen get a flyer and start regularly playing up to their ability. Imagine if Mulligan gets elevated from the rookie list and shows enough to suggest that finally we are the club that manages to pluck someone out of obscurity that everyone else missed.

Imagine the reaction of the media, our supporters, those members who were sitting on the fence about re-signing for this season. The facilities at the Whitten Oval continue to be developed, there is a buzz around the club again. No talk of the coach being on his last chance and no rumours about a rift between Rocket and Rose.

Rose coloured glasses?...absolutely. Is it unlikely...maybe? Is it possible?...yes. Let's see how much character our blokes can show this year before we write the season off. If it all goes pear shaped, then I'll swear off this board while it goes into meltdown......but wouldn't this be a great place if we win a few games at the start?

Well said AR...the glass is half full.

Very well said. I will own up to taking the defeatist approach every now and then, but it's borne out of extreme frustration.

In all honesty, I really hope we win the first few games at least and stick it up the rest of the competition.

Thank you

180px-CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg

But why does your man appear so much in similar circumstances at the Bulldogs.

Who are you to to criticise and suggest ways on how "the good thing" should conduct himself on this forum? For all you know he could be well informed and has clearly let us fans know far sooner than what the club would have.
Some people get so caught up in themselves that they tend to overlook some of the quality contributions by some other posters!

I'm understand your point.

But also understand that people like me, get extremely frustrated when posters come on here and say ''player X has this injury and will be sidelined for two months'' and then it comes out that it has been blown out of proportion and the injury is not half as bad.

So let me get this straight - the Europe thing is purely a guess on your part?

There's a little difference between that and saying that going to Europe "is 100% accurate" (as you did in the opening post) when scans hadn't even been performed yet.

wb_age All i said was was it would have been better for GoodThing IMO to come on here and say that he was at training, seen Williams go down and looked bad, could be a 10 week thing, and if it was the club should look at sending him to Europe.

But he didnt and came out and said the club was sending him to Europe, this is not true, the club came out on this thread through Bulldogfanatic and said Tom as yet to have a scan and is Not going to Europe.

Now what has come out that he will miss 4-6 weeks? where was that from SEN? has he had the Scan?

Yep - according to SEN news (at 10pm) - he's had the scan and has a torn ligament in his thigh.

I'm sure there'll be more detail tomorrow.

Everyone,
please leave me alone. I said 10 weeks and the club has finally come clean and said 4-6 weeks after I gave the scoop. Now we all know that 4-6 weeks with rehab actually means around 8 weeks. Throw in some slow running first and then a few games at Willy then its 10 weeks - no doubt about that. The Europe thing will definitely happen in 4 weeks if he is not responding to treatment and the comments I heard at training suggest that this is more likely than not. No need for for the doubters to apologise for doubting my information; although dare I say, some probably should.
The Good Thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's say he will be back ready to play seniors AFL, mid season.
During the first half of the season others will just have to be tried at CHB, taking into account the opposition each week.

Everyone,
please leave me alone. I said 10 weeks and the club has finally come clean and said 4-6 weeks after I gave the scoop. Now we all know that 4-6 weeks with rehab actually means around 8 weeks. Throw in some slow running first and then a few games at Willy then its 10 weeks - no doubt about that.
The Good Thing

GoodThing, Thank you for sharing that information with us. Feel sorry for Tom he just can't take a trick with injuries, he would be one frustrated player at the moment. Hopefully, he will have a speedy recovery.

Here is an article regarding Tom's injury...

Another blow to Dogs' defence
Mark Stevens
Fox Sports
Mar 13th, 2008

THE Western Bulldogs' defence is in disarray only 10 days out from the Round 1 clash with Adelaide.

Centre half-back Tom Williams has broken down again and faces another 4-6 weeks on the sidelines.

It is understood Williams suffered a recurrence of a rare thigh tendon injury at training on Tuesday.

It is the latest blow to the luckless Williams, the No. 6 pick in the 2004 draft.

Williams' back-up option, Cameron Wight, is also in doubt for Round 1 with a hamstring complaint.

Another automatic selection as a tall defender, Andrejs Everitt, will be missing for at least another month with a knee injury.

And best-and-fairest winner Brian Lake will enter battle with the Crows underdone after hip surgery three weeks ago.

Williams missed close to 10 weeks after originally injuring the tendon deep inside the quadricep.

After scans, it is understood the Dogs believe the recurrence is not as bad as first thought.

But Williams' condition is still a major concern given the complaint is far more serious than a standard quadricep strain.

Williams, 196cm and 101kg, is an exciting athlete who has long been inked in for a key defensive role.

But he has played only 13 games after missing the entire first two seasons of his career -- 2005 and 2006 -- with foot injuries.

He managed to complete his first hitout of the year for Williamstown at the weekend, but broke down running at full pace on the training track.

Adelaide is now likely to load up its forward line with talls, hoping to prey on an undersized Bulldogs defence.

Dale Morris and Ryan Hargrave are now likely to be forced to play on taller Adelaide opponents and the Dogs may now have to turn to the maligned Andrew McDougall to fill a role.

Adelaide has in the past tried to stretch the Dogs defence, on one occasion even throwing full-back Ben Rutten forward.

Nathan Bock is a more likely candidate to be thrown into attack in Round 1, adding support to Ken McGregor and the exciting Kurt Tippett.

Undoubtedly Adelaide will try to load up their forward line with talls, however whatever you think of Minson at FF, they will have to play a tall (probably Rutten) on him and also a tall (probably Bassett) on Welsh. So they will still be somewhat limited as to the amount of guys they can throw up forward. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tiller named in the 1sts to play either forward or back.
The way I see it, our midfield pressure wwill be crucial in this game. If we allow them clean possession's into the forward line we'll get killed, but if keep them under pressure then we'll give our backs half a chance. This is the first big test of whether we can sustain 4 quarters of pressure football.

The radio says he will be out for up to 6 weeks and then he will need probably at least another 4 to get some form so we wont have him until half way thru the year.

Do we actually have a decent back up anywhere, i mean this guy just keeps falling apart so surely the coaches must be trying to push someone into CHB.

McDougall and Wight are not up to it so whos next?

Looks like poor Morris is going to be punching well above his weight again.

If we had of got Charlie Garidner we'd be premiership favourite by now.

Hahahaha

Gotten under your skin much have i???

Charlie Gardiner would walk into CHF in our team so although you say he is rubbish, and try to suggest again i want him, he is better than any option we have.

Who on our list would be better at CHF than him?

Don't forget that Shaggy has been playing this role for years (CHB).
He may not be that big, and he may be punching above his weight in terms of strength, ability, class etc most weeks - but I think credit where credit is due to the bloke. He came down to the club as a full forward - and due to our injuries and deficiencies (at times) has played on talls down back and has been more than servicable.

Lets not get too carried away with Adelaide - Tippett hasn't played an AFL senior game yet, Stevens is a bit part player, Bock isn't overly big.... we'll be ok. Its usually Welsh that tears us up anyways!! Lake will be right, Morris will annihilate someone, Shaggy will do his job and we'll have Gilbs running off a taller opponent bombing 60 metre missiles off the half back line.

Bulldogs 1-0.

Undoubtedly Adelaide will try to load up their forward line with talls, however whatever you think of Minson at FF, they will have to play a tall (probably Rutten) on him and also a tall (probably Bassett) on Welsh. So they will still be somewhat limited as to the amount of guys they can throw up forward. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tiller named in the 1sts to play either forward or back.
The way I see it, our midfield pressure wwill be crucial in this game. If we allow them clean possession's into the forward line we'll get killed, but if keep them under pressure then we'll give our backs half a chance. This is the first big test of whether we can sustain 4 quarters of pressure football.

Bassett normally plays on Johnson (and usually does a fair job, too) so they'll have to make up their mind about which way they go.

They might throw Bock forward but he's a 'get-on-your-bike' kind of forward rather than a 'push-and-shove' kind. Hargrave would get him.

If Bock does go forward, who would they play on Murphy? Stevens? You'd fancy Murphy's chances of out-running him. Massie? Will he even get a game? Symes?

They could throw Stevens forward, I suppose, but he's never really been very successful there (not that that usually matters against us).

If Lake is OK we'll be alright. If Lake misses we could be in real trouble.

Not at all. I haven't posted in full caps yet nor have added an extra exclamation or question mark for no reason or resorted to bagging someones grammar/spelling when I'm just as bad.
Most importantly when I have been proven wrong and I've admitted it.

I made a mistake in mis reading a title of a tally and have admitted such.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Williams gone for 10 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back