Remove this Banner Ad

taz20

Draftee
Oct 6, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
This is the first I've heard of it. Apologies if it's been covered in a previous thread. The Age is reporting the pies are keen on him and looking to package him with Jesse White. If memory serves me correctly, he was traded to the swans a few years back from Adelaide. Thoughts...

Yeah I wouldnt be too concerned if we picked him up for nothing. Has been starved of opportunities at both Adelaide and Swans, possibly the latter because of the quality HBF players Sydney already has.

Neither here nor there on him!

Seems as if Adelaide are reluctant to part ways with Henderson. Armstrong might be a cheaper option to fill a need with the loss of Heath Shaw.

I have only seen him play once and thought he was excellent. He uses the ball extremely well. This is a very thin draft so bringing in the likes of White, Armstrong and Karnezis with our 2nd and 3rd rounders is not a bad result.

Seems as if Adelaide are reluctant to part ways with Henderson. Armstrong might be a cheaper option to fill a need with the loss of Heath Shaw.

This is a serious question. Have you ever seen Armstrong play?

The nearest comparison to any player on our list is Yagmoor. They both have solid pace and skill, but don't utilize it and can't defend for shit.

FFS Nick Smith might be on the market. He's a premiership defender and just happens to be the bloke that dominated Rioli in the 2012 GF yet we may have an interest in Armstrong, FMD.

I have only seen him play once and thought he was excellent. He uses the ball extremely well. This is a very thin draft so bringing in the likes of White, Armstrong and Karnezis with our 2nd and 3rd rounders is not a bad result.

Of those 3 White is the only one who would play seniors.
No point trading picks for VFL players. I would much rather elevate Kyle Martin & Jack Frost or use the pick on a kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The nearest comparison to any player on our list is Yagmoor. They both have solid pace and skill, but don't utilize it and can't defend for shit.

FFS Nick Smith might be on the market. He's a premiership defender and just happens to be the bloke that dominated Rioli in the 2012 GF yet we may have an interest in Armstrong, FMD.

This x 1000 - We are trying to improve our list for goodness sake.

Easy SD! 'Tis trade period and BS abounds ;):)

Bio from the beginning of the year. Went on to play 7 games.

19 Tony
Armstrong
Height 183 cm DOB 29-09-1989Weight 72 kg Debut 2010
Games
2013 7Career 29
Goals
2013 0Career 2
2013 Dream Team Points
Total 352Avg 50

PLAYER BIOSTATSMILESTONES
AT A GLANCE
Junior Clubs: Burrumbuttock (NSW)/Riddells Creek
Debut: 2010
Recruited from: Calder U18/Adelaide Crows
Brownlow Votes: -

A number of injuries meant Armstrong had a limited pre-season and was not fully fit for the start of the year at his new club.

He recovered to make eight appearances for the year, including a 24 possession effort against Essendon in round 11.

It is no easy task breaking into the AFL’s best backline, but his kicking skills and tackling pressure should lead to more opportunities in 2013.

Previous AFL club: Adelaide (2010-11: 14 games, 0 goals).

Draft history: 2007 NAB AFL Draft 4th round selection
(Adelaide) No. 58 overall; 2011 NAB AFL Draft traded by Adelaide for Lewis Johnston.

2013 COACHES CALL
2012 was a success. He broke into the side but unfortunately wasn’t there on the last day.

Pre-season has been really good. He’s set up his season this year with a terrific pre-season, with personal best times in the 3km run.

We hope in 2013 that he establishes himself as a regular member of our defence.

- See more at: http://m.sydneyswans.com.au/player-profile/tony-armstrong#sthash.43KJFQgF.dpuf

I wouldn't be opposed to it if we get him for next to nothing a la Russell, but I'd rather we went for Nick Smith personally.

Him and Marley as the two small defenders would make our backline look fairly menacing to any sides that rely on small forward to do damage.

Wont be to happy if he does come i dont want him and im struggling to see why the hell dekka and co would be interested sure he can kick but that is his only attribute you cant carry blokes in a side who on really on one thing.

Based on Old Spice's depth chart, he might prove a handy pick up if he can play as a medium defender. I understand the negativity, but, at 24, he should be ready to peak as a player. Would be interested to know the types of players he's played on in the past.

Depends at what price we would be getting him. My initial reaction is he replaces that massive hole Jordan Russell has left :p.

He is a running half back that uses it well, but I am unsure of his defensive capabilities, perhaps there is another role he could play e.g. half forward.

As others have said Nick Smith is the one to look at especially as Heath Shaw is on the move. His price however will be a lot higher.

The Swans are looking to cut players and replace them with picks and I am not sure we have the right mix of picks just yet. If we could somehow pry White & Smith from them I would be very happy, but not up for using a first rounder to get the deal done. It may be possible to trade a player & our third round for an upgrade to a second round pick so the swans get two second rounders for these guys.

Depends at what price we would be getting him. My initial reaction is he replaces that massive hole Jordan Russell has left :p.

He is a running half back that uses it well, but I am unsure of his defensive capabilities, perhaps there is another role he could play e.g. half forward.

As others have said Nick Smith is the one to look at especially as Heath Shaw is on the move. His price however will be a lot higher.

The Swans are looking to cut players and replace them with picks and I am not sure we have the right mix of picks just yet. If we could somehow pry White & Smith from them I would be very happy, but not up for using a first rounder to get the deal done. It may be possible to trade a player & our third round for an upgrade to a second round pick so the swans get two second rounders for these guys.

Playing half forward requires defensive capabilities these days and Armstrong is like a Sinclair with footskills...but can't tackle.

As others have said, Smith is a much better get otherwise we are just filling up space with someone who will be delisted in a couple of years.

I don't even want him as steak knives.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tony Armstrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back