Too good today

Remove this Banner Ad

Ghostwriter

Cancelled
10k Posts RIP North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Aug 20, 2002
Petrie Motlop sponsor '03
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well done Catters, I thought we might've given you a better hitout before the Collingwood game. Good luck for the rest of the season.:thumbsu:

12 years running huh>? Wow...makes it tough.

The Cats were in a different class today, but I thought there were signs for you blokes...its difficult to be patient, but you will be much more competitive in a year or two.

Was amazed at how dismal their disposal was at times, especially in to the 50. Really cost them, they will be a good team in a year or so when they get some confidence.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the 25 game winning streak.

Don't get me wrong, while I'm an Essendon supporter, I love the cats and the way they play their footy, but how accurate is the record?

If you were to compare it to Sydney (Sth Melb) in the `30s or Melbourne in the `40s or `50s, those teams played all teams on their own turf, not just the poor crowd drawing lesser likes. On that basis, you may think that Geelong's home games at Etihad and MCG should also be included. But then, they are different sized grounds and the home ground advantage there is not as pronounced.

Alternatively, those that were mentioned above weren't subject to salary caps etc, so that they could buy good sides which would hold them in good stead for anywhere between 5-10 years, and we all know how dominant Melbourne were in their period where, if memory serves me, they won 3 flags in a row or, at least, 3 out of 4.

Ultimately, I guess what I'm saying is that there is no direct comparison, so perhaps Geelong's record should count for what it is. A supreme effort, and a team worthy of respect.

Once again, I'm not attempting to necessarily detract from Geelong's extraordinary record, but I do wonder about the value of comparing statistics across different eras.

There is no question, however, that the Cats have been brilliant since round 5 2007.

Thoughts?

Don't get me wrong, while I'm an Essendon supporter, I love the cats and the way they play their footy, but how accurate is the record?

If you were to compare it to Sydney (Sth Melb) in the `30s or Melbourne in the `40s or `50s, those teams played all teams on their own turf, not just the poor crowd drawing lesser likes. On that basis, you may think that Geelong's home games at Etihad and MCG should also be included. But then, they are different sized grounds and the home ground advantage there is not as pronounced.

Alternatively, those that were mentioned above weren't subject to salary caps etc, so that they could buy good sides which would hold them in good stead for anywhere between 5-10 years, and we all know how dominant Melbourne were in their period where, if memory serves me, they won 3 flags in a row or, at least, 3 out of 4.

Ultimately, I guess what I'm saying is that there is no direct comparison, so perhaps Geelong's record should count for what it is. A supreme effort, and a team worthy of respect.

Once again, I'm not attempting to necessarily detract from Geelong's extraordinary record, but I do wonder about the value of comparing statistics across different eras.

There is no question, however, that the Cats have been brilliant since round 5 2007.

Thoughts?

Personally I think the 86 out of the last 100 games is a much more significant record.

In saying that though, Geelong can only beat who is put in front of them down there and they have done that. The objective is to make the home ground a fortress and they certainly have done that.

As you say, comparing different eras is a waste of time ...good fodder tho for the Bay ...

...not just the poor crowd drawing lesser likes. On that basis, you may think that Geelong's home games at Etihad and MCG should also be included....

Geelong can only beat who is put in front of them down there and they have done that. The objective is to make the home ground a fortress and they certainly have done that.

I think this is the salient point. The counter-argument is what's to say that the Cat's wouldn't have beaten the higher drawing "better" teams if they had the opportunity to play them at Skilled?

Thoughts?
Up until round 19 last year (when Collingwood beat us) we'd won 30 consecutive games that were designated as our 'home' games, whether they be at Skilled, Etihad or the G. Nice try though.

Up until round 19 last year (when Collingwood beat us) we'd won 30 consecutive games that were designated as our 'home' games, whether they be at Skilled, Etihad or the G. Nice try though.

That's good to know.

Once again, my post was not to detract from their performance. I was simply wondering how to compare records. I think such a winning streak is much harder to achieve these days due to the way the system works.

P.S. I hope you belt the Pies this week.

The point you raised has some merit (but I believe effectively countered above - 30 'home' game etc) but would be good to test the KP advantage against stronger opposition.

If I can make a distinction between 'big' clubs and 'strong teams'. Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon are 'big' clubs, but only a few years back wouldn't be considered 'strong' teams. Notwithstanding, none of those teams would travel to Geelong. NM and WB are 'small' clubs but were/are 'strong' teams until recently (I think WB are better than their current position on the ladder). Along with Melbourne ('small' club, 'improving' team), these are the teams that come to Geelong.

(While not as 'big' as the big 3, Hawthorn and StK, have been strong teams in recent years with a large supporter base, worthy of 'blockbuster' status and wouldn't travel to Geelong either)

Personally, I reckon that KP is worth 4-5 goal advantage to Geelong (especially when it gets dark in the late afternoon). Now that Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon are 'strong' as well as 'big', it would be interesting to 'test' veracity of Fortress KP, and the apparent goal advantage. Unfortunately I can't see it happening!

I think this is the salient point. The counter-argument is what's to say that the Cat's wouldn't have beaten the higher drawing "better" teams if they had the opportunity to play them at Skilled?

This is a great point. We sacrifice a massive home ground advantage against Collingwood/Essendon/Carlton etc. There certainly would have been some losses changed to wins had they been played at Skilled. But the financial benefits are enormous and let's not forget the bonus of playing high pressure games in front of sell out crowds at the 'G and Jihad. A big boon come finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Too good today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back