Top 10 2005

Remove this Banner Ad

Weaver said:
Ruckmen distort the draft picture (or they have in the past). It is rare that there are more than one or two good ones available.

If you are Carlton and you have pick 1 and need a ruckman you can't really choose to pass on a guy like Clarke and then get someone at pick 17. You have to take him at 1, or possibly miss out entirely.

Midfielders are different. Pass on the top guy at 1, then there will still be a pretty handy one who justifies the 17 spot.

Collingwood might be criticised for taking Fraser at 1 (and that was a dead set sure-thing at the time ... everyone would have gone for him). But the next best ruckman was Ackland at 27, Biglands at 36 or Hille at 40. Hille was new to footy at the time and no stand out.
Yeah but look at the examples i have give, hale at 7 in 2001, mcintosh at 9 in 2002, Paul Johnson at 17 in 2002. They all haven't been value for the high pick and that might be the reason why the clubs were reluctant to take deluca and wood high last year. I would rather have carlton pick some1 like wood at 18 just like last year than someone like fraser at 1 or hale at 7

Streaker said:
Can Goalden Hawk, Footymad, Sezzac1 and Weaver all put up a top 10 now so we can compare it to their top 10s after the Championships?

I think footyman would do a better job than me. But I reckon its to early to tell? You have to wait at least until after the championship.

This time last year you had Franklin as a probable number 1 (went to 5)
Roughhead wouldn't have been pick 2 this time last year.
A guy like Bate who almost snuck into top 10 (pick 14 Melb) wasn't even close to metro and was only just starting to play good footy at Eastern.

Would think Hurn would go a lot higher than Varcoe. He is just so versatile. Can play centre and get 25 touches and kick 3 goals, hold down CHB against big bodied forwards or play in the forward pocket and still kick goals. Machine, so versatile, god knows what his final position will be when he plays AFL (surely he will pick footy over cricket, he is good at cricket but much much better at footy)

Clark is in my eyes close to the best prospect out of the draft but I havent seen a heap of the interstate kids. Will watch the championships to gain a better idea.

Thunderstruck said:
Would think Hurn would go a lot higher than Varcoe. He is just so versatile. Can play centre and get 25 touches and kick 3 goals, hold down CHB against big bodied forwards or play in the forward pocket and still kick goals. Machine, so versatile, god knows what his final position will be when he plays AFL (surely he will pick footy over cricket, he is good at cricket but much much better at footy)
Excuse me while I salivate. Can't wait to see him in the champs.

Agree Thunderstruck. his last quarter in the Champs last year showed the type of player he is, nearly lifted his SA side over the top of Vic Metro. Looking at J.Brown playing in the middle, Hodge now starting go in the guts Hurn is the type of player who could be a future match winner for the Blues.

As to who they would go, the Blues need that much any kid from the top10 would be good.Whereever they they finish whoever they pick the most they will get next year is what Deludio is giving Richmond, the Blues probably need 6 or 7 picks in the top20 over the next 2/3 years. 1,2 and high teens would give them three top mids,a couple of top talls and a ruckman.

eg, a Cooney,McLean and a Deludio
a Roughhead and a Keppler Bradley
and a Laycock
Add a couple bargins like the Blues pick Norman and things will be lot less Blue for the Blues

I think you'll find that Mitchell Clark has not been included in the WA Under 18 squad due to a legal dispute between his club's coach and the WA Selectors. Hopefully it will be sorted out and he will be a late inclusion. However even if he's not I think he will still be a consideration for the no 1 pick.

Joint winner of the best player award with Deledio in the Under 16 championships even though a year younger.

From Terry Wheeler
He said his squad was a ‘tall group’, which contained four players over 200cm, including the tallest at 206cm – Victoria Metropolitan’s Mark Lynch.

He added that several players to watch out for included 2003 Kevin Sheehan Medallists – Western Australia’s Mitchell Clark and Victoria Country’s Brett Deledio – who were named as the best players in the National’s under 16 AFL championships.

“Mitchell’s a very mobile player, who plays at centre half-forward and stands at 197cm. His game in the under 16 championships was dominant. He possesses Carey-like attributes being physically strong,” Wheeler told Sportal.

amazonstud said:
I think you'll find that Mitchell Clark has not been included in the WA Under 18 squad due to a legal dispute between his club's coach and the WA Selectors. Hopefully it will be sorted out and he will be a late inclusion. However even if he's not I think he will still be a consideration for the no 1 pick.
QUOTE]

Since when wasn't he in the squad? I've heard some crap in my time but that takes the cake!

Weaver said:
Too tough this year because I'd be suprised if there were too many (or any Vics in it).

Normally there are WA and SA players that play in the Championships as underage players, stand-out, and get picked up the next year. Not so many of those this year.

I would have though Drum and Dowler might make the top-10. Someone might do a Tom Williams and reach for Scott Pendlebury. I like Hocking and Simpkin but guess they'll be in the 20s.

reach for scott pendlebury? do u think he will be a chance at top 10. is that what your saying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 2005

Remove this Banner Ad

Back