Opinion Top 10 Overrated and Underrated Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan Griffen, Travis Cloke, Sean Rusling, Jed Adcock, Paul Medhurst, Jarred Brennan, Brent Stanton, Jarred Waite, Brett Deledio, Chris Judd = Overrated

Let me explain putting Chris Judd in there before everyone goes nuts... Chris Judd has still not returned to the top flight form he was in at WCE before the OP. He still gets all the recognition like he is playing as well as he used to but i think to put it simply, he isnt. Therefore i think he is being overrated.

Underrated: Daniel Cross, Lenny Hayes, Jobe Watson, Matty Boyd, Jarryd Roughead, Kurt Tippet, Josh Gibson, Leigh Montagna, Andrew Mackie, Jason Winderlich.

Some of the above are talked about alot and rated at each of their clubs, but when the media rant and rave about other players in the league, some of these guys would never be mentioned in the same breath whereas i think that they should be! I put 2 Bombers in the underrated section, probably very much bias so appologies for that but i think Watson is a star and look out for Licka next year!

that wouldnt be biased at all now would it?, 3 collingwood players in your top ten, one of which has played less than 20 bloody games, i see you found room for watson in your underrated top 10, pffft, i suppose you think fletchers a gun as well.

Most underrated at Geelong IMO =JAMES KELLY. Would probably be an elite mid at any other team, but with us gets lots of jobs which he does with class and ease

TOP 10 OVERRATED

1. Daniel Kerr
2. Gary Ablett
3. Jared Brennan
4. Mark McVeigh
5. Dane Swan
6. Cyril Rioli
7. Brett Deledio
8. Justin Koschitzke
9. Brendan Fevola
10. Adam Cooney

TOP 10 UNDERRATED

1. Joel Corey
2. Daniel Merrett
3. Jack Anthony
4. Aaron Davey
5. Daniel Cross
6. Aaron Joesph
7. Tarkyn Lockyer
8. Harry O'Brien
9. Chance Bateman
10. Kade Simpson

TOP 10 OVERRATED

1. Daniel Kerr
2. Gary Ablett
3. Jared Brennan
4. Mark McVeigh
5. Dane Swan
6. Cyril Rioli
7. Brett Deledio
8. Justin Koschitzke
9. Brendan Fevola
10. Adam Cooney

TOP 10 UNDERRATED

1. Joel Corey
2. Daniel Merrett
3. Jack Anthony
4. Aaron Davey
5. Daniel Cross
6. Aaron Joesph
7. Tarkyn Lockyer
8. Harry O'Brien
9. Chance Bateman
10. Kade Simpson

overrated
nice list exept for ablett and fev, i agree with the rest though with cooney highlighted, severly overrated IMO.

underrated
not bad but i think you could do better there, i agree batemans very underrated though.

that wouldnt be biased at all now would it?, 3 collingwood players in your top ten, one of which has played less than 20 bloody games, i see you found room for watson in your underrated top 10, pffft, i suppose you think fletchers a gun as well.

I did admit that it was biased because i am an essendon supporter.. I mentioned rusling because all you collingwood flogs never stop raving on about how good he is...

If you think Fletcher hasnt been or isnt a gun, you are clearly just a delusional, moronic Collingwood supporter..

I did admit that it was biased because i am an essendon supporter.. I mentioned rusling because all you collingwood flogs never stop raving on about how good he is...

If you think Fletcher hasnt been or isnt a gun, you are clearly just a delusional, moronic Collingwood supporter..

If your talking about fletcher as a KPB then id say he's the most overrated player in the league and has been for sometime, he's always been well protected especially by sheedy, first sign of trouble and he was always moved to the second tall fwd or the spareman role, as the spareman theres no one better IMO but as a KPB he's no where near lake, scarlett or presty, presty IMO is the most underrated KPB in the comp, especially at FB.

I havent heard much of that down in Vic. I dunno i think he will be an out and out superstar, already pretty much there.. Probably prefer him over buddy or browny at essendon.

WTF, tippet over buddy ?, i dont think so, id take him over brown but only because he's much younger, tippet and buddy are the same age (i think, only a few months in it) ones kicked 100 goals and is probably the most feared FF in the league and he's only going to get better, tippets a player, no doubting that but comparing him to buddy is just ridiculous.

WTF, tippet over buddy ?, i dont think so, id take him over brown but only because he's much younger, tippet and buddy are the same age (i think, only a few months in it) ones kicked 100 goals and is probably the most feared FF in the league and he's only going to get better, tippets a player, no doubting that but comparing him to buddy is just ridiculous.

We will just wait and see hey.. its just my opinion, id be thinking that tippet has a better head on his shoulders too.. Maybe that would be better for the club? I'll stand by that comment and we will see in a couple of years time!

If your talking about fletcher as a KPB then id say he's the most overrated player in the league and has been for sometime, he's always been well protected especially by sheedy, first sign of trouble and he was always moved to the second tall fwd or the spareman role, as the spareman theres no one better IMO but as a KPB he's no where near lake, scarlett or presty, presty IMO is the most underrated KPB in the comp, especially at FB.

Alright you have proven a point.. That you have no idea... Fletch has been one of Essendons all time greats.. He can be mentioned in the same breath as Scarlett and even Silvagni.. Lake still has to do it for another couple of yrs and i dont know how you even put presti's name next to scarlett... Presti is a stopper and thats it.. Doesnt get any possesions, doesnt do anything but STOP, most of all he doesnt suit the modern game of footy. At least fletch will hurt other sides when he has the footy in hand.. Presti is a big downie... If your that confident about your claim there, put it up on the polls board, Fletch Vs Presti.. See who gets the votes jackass.

Alright you have proven a point.. That you have no idea... Fletch has been one of Essendons all time greats.. He can be mentioned in the same breath as Scarlett and even Silvagni.. Lake still has to do it for another couple of yrs and i dont know how you even put presti's name next to scarlett... Presti is a stopper and thats it.. Doesnt get any possesions, doesnt do anything but STOP, most of all he doesnt suit the modern game of footy. At least fletch will hurt other sides when he has the footy in hand.. Presti is a big downie... If your that confident about your claim there, put it up on the polls board, Fletch Vs Presti.. See who gets the votes jackass.

well who would you prefer to play on buddy or fev ? for the entirity of the game, i know who id be picking and there would be a lot more id pick before fletcher as well, even at his best.

If you knew anything about the game you would know im right, if your saying im wrong and gadget wasnt very well protected by sheedy then your an imbecile, as a FB or CHB fletcher doesnt rate even with the top backs from his era let alone past eras, he's a very good player as a spareman or on a 2nd or 3rd tall but dont kid yourself about him playing on the guns because he rarely plays full games against them and its always been the case, and if he does he gets hammered, bloody sav used to ******** the guy lol.

well who would you prefer to play on buddy or fev ? for the entirity of the game, i know who id be picking and there would be a lot more id pick before fletcher as well, even at his best.

If you knew anything about the game you would know im right, if your saying im wrong and gadget wasnt very well protected by sheedy then your an imbecile, as a FB or CHB fletcher doesnt rate even with the top backs from his era let alone past eras, he's a very good player as a spareman or on a 2nd or 3rd tall but dont kid yourself about him playing on the guns because he rarely plays full games against them and its always been the case, and if he does he gets hammered, bloody sav used to ******** the guy lol.

Your talking Junk and you know it! Fair point Sav used to take to him a bit, but in any other case he has never been 'protected'. Fletcher is one of the most versatile full backs in the game, which is far more than i can say for presti.. He has played on all those big names you mentioned, including blokes like tony lockett, through to blokes like phil matera.. On his good days he is very hard to beat. He has never been Protected, i wont cop that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your talking Junk and you know it! Fair point Sav used to take to him a bit, but in any other case he has never been 'protected'. Fletcher is one of the most versatile full backs in the game, which is far more than i can say for presti.. He has played on all those big names you mentioned, including blokes like tony lockett, through to blokes like phil matera.. On his good days he is very hard to beat. He has never been Protected, i wont cop that.

As i said man you dont know anything about the game, most experts agree with me, gary lion and BT to mention a couple, but you go on thinking his an alltime great, if thats your opinion then im not going to change it.

if a FF kicks 2 quich goals on him he's suddenly moved and its always been the case apart from maybe his 1st few years, you wont see the gun FBs moved so quickly.

As i said man you dont know anything about the game, most experts agree with me, gary lion and BT to mention a couple, but you go on thinking his an alltime great, if thats your opinion then im not going to change it.

if a FF kicks 2 quich goals on him he's suddenly moved and its always been the case apart from maybe his 1st few years, you wont see the gun FBs moved so quickly.

Mate, you've got to be kidding. Fletcher has consistantly done a fantastic job for the last 15 years. Yeah, that is two experts. What about all the experts who DO think Fletch is one of the all-time great Full Backs?

That has not been the case. People on here only seem to remember his last few years when he has NOT been playing at Full Back. He has been the 2nd/3rd man up and has created play off the back line in the last few years.

But I guess that is just a typical Collingwood supporters view.

Mate, you've got to be kidding. Fletcher has consistantly done a fantastic job for the last 15 years. Yeah, that is two experts. What about all the experts who DO think Fletch is one of the all-time great Full Backs?

That has not been the case. People on here only seem to remember his last few years when he has NOT been playing at Full Back. He has been the 2nd/3rd man up and has created play off the back line in the last few years.

But I guess that is just a typical Collingwood supporters view.

im not saying the guy cant play, as a spare man theres no one better IMO especially with his foot skills, im just saying as an out and out FB he is massively overrated, my previous coments about him being moved at the 1st sign of trouble are correct, believe me, and i have followed the bloke from day 1.

a bit like nick maxwell, maxwell isnt a FBs arseh*le but he can play on the 3rd tall types or as the loose man, how many times do you recall fletch playing a full game on fev for instance?

im not saying the guy cant play, as a spare man theres no one better IMO especially with his foot skills, im just saying as an out and out FB he is massively overrated, my previous coments about him being moved at the 1st sign of trouble are correct, believe me, and i have followed the bloke from day 1.

Not every Full Back is an out and out Full Back though. Fletcher never really was. He had many strings to his game, whereas Presti, just has the one. And don't get me wrong, he is bloody good at it. But, Fletch was a good stopper and was/is an excellent rebounder.

And you have obviously not followed Fletch from Day 1.

Not every Full Back is an out and out Full Back though. Fletcher never really was. He had many strings to his game, whereas Presti, just has the one. And don't get me wrong, he is bloody good at it. But, Fletch was a good stopper and was/is an excellent rebounder.

And you have obviously not followed Fletch from Day 1.

man, i remember in his early years (1st maybe even his 2nd year) getting permission to play for his school because daddy thought it was important for him to play against blokes his own age, so i have followed the bloke and ive seen a lot of him, i just get pissed off with people saying he's one of the best FBs of the modern era, he may be one of the best backmen of his era but not as an out and out FB, no way.

man, i remember in his early years (1st maybe even his 2nd year) getting permission to play for his school because daddy thought it was important for him to play against blokes his own age, so i have followed the bloke and ive seen a lot of him, i just get pissed off with people saying he's one of the best FBs of the modern era, he may be one of the best backmen of his era but not as an out and out FB, no way.

Fair enough then.

Definately one of the best Backman of his era, agree on the out and out FB statement.

Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett
Ablett

He has over taken Cross has the handball king, hopefully we will get to see him cry twice this year, once at the Brownlow and once on GF day when the Cats get their pants pulled down again, Such a great record over the last 3 year how funny it would be if they come away with only 1 flag in that time:eek:

What a fantastic prediction - wrong, and wrong! Especially as he fell over the line in the Brownlow, I mean only winning by 8 votes (despite missing 3 games too). He also had the temerity to win his 3rd MVP (voted by Players AND Coaches), and his 2nd Geelong Best and Fairest as well. Yep good early call.

Imagine what he could do if he could actually play. :rolleyes:

What a fantastic prediction - wrong, and wrong! Especially as he fell over the line in the Brownlow, I mean only winning by 8 votes (despite missing 3 games too). He also had the temerity to win his 3rd MVP (voted by Players AND Coaches), and his 2nd Geelong Best and Fairest as well. Yep good early call.

Imagine what he could do if he could actually play. :rolleyes:

i agree, anyone saying abletts overrated is a complete muppet IMO.

a bit like nick maxwell, maxwell isnt a FBs arseh*le but he can play on the 3rd tall types or as the loose man, how many times do you recall fletch playing a full game on fev for instance?

Dont even try to soil fletchers name using maxwell as an example.. Their names shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence. Sorry mate but i pretty much completely dissagree with you here.. Call me one eyed but i think Fletchers reputation speaks for itself. He is a gun will always be remembered as a champion. Presti or maxwell wont be remembered in 20 years time.

Dont even try to soil fletchers name using maxwell as an example.. Their names shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence. Sorry mate but i pretty much completely dissagree with you here.. Call me one eyed but i think Fletchers reputation speaks for itself. He is a gun will always be remembered as a champion. Presti or maxwell wont be remembered in 20 years time.

maxwells an AA, im not saying i think he deserved it but he is AA, i think fletch has had 2 AAs hasnt he?, as i said im not saying fletcher hasnt been a very good player over a very long period of time im just saying he shouldnt be rated as a FB.

remember maxwells an AA collingwood captain, i think he'll be remembered in 20 yrs time.

and the word "champion" shouldnt be used to describe fletcher unless your a complete muppet, or maybe his mother lol.

maxwells an AA, im not saying i think he deserved it but he is AA, i think fletch has had 2 AAs hasnt he?, as i said im not saying fletcher hasnt been a very good player over a very long period of time im just saying he shouldnt be rated as a FB.

remember maxwells an AA collingwood captain, i think he'll be remembered in 20 yrs time.

and the word "champion" shouldnt be used to describe fletcher unless your a complete muppet, or maybe his mother lol.

Lets be honest here... Maxwell is the biggest joke of a captian in the league. Even Collingwood didnt seem too keen on giving him the captiancy but they had no other suitable candidates..

I'm gonna shoot my arguement in the foot here but fletch has only been AA once. Probably due to Scarlett and Silvagni being around for most of his carrer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Top 10 Overrated and Underrated Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back