Opinion Top 10 Overrated and Underrated Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Underated

1.J.Roughead??
2.B.Sewell
3.Prestigiacomo
4.L.Franklin

Presti is just about the most overrated player in the game. He is extremely one-dimensional, slow, can't kick, slow decision maker. He can play one-on-one well, no-one disputes that, but being a godd FB takes more. Which he doesn't have, buyt everyone seems to think he does.

Anyone with a clue knows Sewell can play. Top ten/ fifteen midfielders in the comp. Buddy and Roughie underrated? Are you kidding :eek:?

Underrated Players (Buddies from Clubs)...
Andrew McKay and Michael Sexton
Daniel Cross and Matty Boyd
Tyson Edwards and Simon Goodwin
Chad Fletcher and Matt Priddis
Bert and Ernie

Underrated (no order)
1.Matthew Boyd - consistent, solid player who goes under the radar.
2.Brett Kirk- Does all the hard work, very good clearance player.
3.Adam Selwood - does his job week in, week out. Never stops running.
4.Brad Sewell- used to be just a tagger but took his game to a new level this year winning his own ball at the stoppages.
5.Harry O'Brien- Good overhead mark & has the ability to kick goals. Always gets the most dangerous small forward & gets the job done.
6.Corey Enright - just so solid, uses the ball well goes about his footy with a minimum of fuss.
7.Lenny Hayes - This guy is a gun who has to be in the top 5 midfielders in the comp. Outstanding finals series, will hopefully now get the recognition he deserves.
8.Mark LeCras - Very unlucky not to be an All Australian this year. 58 goals from a forward pocket, excellent kicking skills.
9.Bernie Vince - Becoming an elite midfielder. Great finish to 09, watch him explode in 2010.
10.Simon Black - this guy has such clean hands & would have to be the best handballer in the comp. Reads the ball of hands so well.

Overrated (no order)
1. Dale Thomas - just way to flashy for mine. Has not lived up to the expectations (No 2 draft pick), goes missing in games. Will give him some credit this year in that he is improving his workrate, played a decent finals series but has a long way to go .
2.Daniel Wells- all the hype about this guy has proved to be wrong. Can't handle a tag & can't get himself fit.
3.Danyle Pearce- Another one who can't handle a tag. Seems to be a front runner,loooks great when team is winning but goes awol when behind.
4.Des Headland- Only looked at Brisbane because Voss,Black, Lappin, Akermanis would get the hard ball & feed it to him. Often injured at Freo, does not do much on the rare occasions he does play.
5.Travis Cloke- Had big expectations put on him at the pies - goes missing when his team needs him most.
6.Leon Davis - To be a great player who need to perform on the big stage in finals. Leon is yet to produce in big finals, has the talent but needs to show something when it matters most.
7.Ryan Griffin - Every year we how good this guy is going to be & he does not produce the goods on a regular basis. Has the talent no doubt, but goes missing for too long in games.
8.Stephen Milne - Every small forward would dream of crumbing to Reiwoldt & Kosi. You know if they do not mark it, they will bring it to ground allowing you to swoop. Should kick many more goals & another who does not handle the big finals.
9.Daniel Kerr- Has found how much harder things are with no Judd or Cousins. Struggles when tagged & has not handled being the number 1 midfilder the last 2 years.
10.Dean Polo -This guy turns the ball over way too much for mine. Seems to make poor choices, skills need much work.

thomas shouldnt be on anyones list, as stated you need to be rated 1st, he isnt yet but he will be, remember tambling was a very high draft pick as well and i doubt anyone in their right minds would prefer tambling over thomas, i also agree that maxwell is overrated, well overrated by the AA selecters anyway, i dont think any pies fans expected him to be AA so i dont think collingwood fans overrate him.

overrated.
fletcher ess.. insiders have known for sometime that as soon as a key forward kicks 2 goals on him in a short period hes quickly moved to the spare man role, was so with sheedy as well in his later years, SEVERLY overrated as a KPP.
rooke geel.. trys hard but just isnt anywhere near as good as his team mates, just a battler who would struggle to get a game in another team.
knights rich.. weak
campbell rich.. weaker
fraser coll.. weaker still
hall stk/syd.. plain and simply overrated
tarrant coll/frem.. poor decision maker, often drops easy chest marks, shit kick.
woewoden meld/coll.. man, where do i start with this bloke.
cooney dogs.. interesting player, didnt deserve to win the brownlow.
mckernan nrth.. either very good or very very very very bad, mostly the later.
grant dogs.. sook, not as good as he thought he was.
dickson hawks.. just shit IMO
j. watson ess.. ditto
mooney geel.. i suppose you have to be rated and many dont rate this bloke, just an even performer at best.

thomas shouldnt be on anyones list, as stated you need to be rated 1st, he isnt yet but he will be, remember tambling was a very high draft pick as well and i doubt anyone in their right minds would prefer tambling over thomas, i also agree that maxwell is overrated, well overrated by the AA selecters anyway, i dont think any pies fans expected him to be AA so i dont think collingwood fans overrate him.

overrated.
fletcher ess.. insiders have known for sometime that as soon as a key forward kicks 2 goals on him in a short period hes quickly moved to the spare man role, was so with sheedy as well in his later years, SEVERLY overrated as a KPP.
rooke geel.. trys hard but just isnt anywhere near as good as his team mates, just a battler who would struggle to get a game in another team.
knights rich.. weak
campbell rich.. weaker
fraser coll.. weaker still
hall stk/syd.. plain and simply overrated
tarrant coll/frem.. poor decision maker, often drops easy chest marks, shit kick.
woewoden meld/coll.. man, where do i start with this bloke.
cooney dogs.. interesting player, didnt deserve to win the brownlow.
mckernan nrth.. either very good or very very very very bad, mostly the later.
grant dogs.. sook, not as good as he thought he was.
dickson hawks.. just shit IMO
j. watson ess.. ditto
mooney geel.. i suppose you have to be rated and many dont rate this bloke, just an even performer at best.
You've just mentioned a guy in Tarrant who has had a solid year as a defender at Freo (was only ever overrated at Collingwood) and lastly a Brownlow medallist who is a very damaging player when on song. Dixon was also never rated, and Mckernan and Grant are champions (both highlighted by each leading the Brownlow count in separate years). Did you see Bazza in his peak at Sydney?

OVER RATED
1: Bryce Gibbs . What does this guy actually do?
2: Dustin Fletcher . Sorry Bomber fans, overrated these days.
3: Dale Thomas . Went to a game this year, didnt realise he was playing until he got pinned for holding the ball
4: Jordan Lewis . This guy does nothing and apprently is seen as a *hard man*
5: Shaun Burgoyne . Very inconsistent
6: Robert Murphy . Either very good or very bad
7: Travis Cloke . Dont need an explanation
8: Matt Priddis. Cheap stats with no game impact
9: Brad Dick. Where do i start?
10: GAJ . 39/40 possesions within a 2 metre radius.
11: Jack Watts

UNDER RATED
1: Brad Sewell. Absolute Machine
2: Kade Simpson . Although i cant stand him, a very good player
3: Tayte Pears . Did some very very good jobs this year
4:Jarrod Hardbrow . Has become an important player for the WBD
5:Scott Pendlebury . Although he is rated, he isnt rated nearly high enough
6: Jude Bolton . Doesnt get the respect he deserves
7: Jack Reiwoldt . Can turn a game on its head
8:David Mckay . Becoming a very good player
9: Ash McGrath . Fantastic player
10: Jay Neagle. Although inconsistent can kick numetous goals

OVER RATED
1: Bryce Gibbs . What does this guy actually do?
2: Dustin Fletcher . Sorry Bomber fans, overrated these days.
3: Dale Thomas . Went to a game this year, didnt realise he was playing until he got pinned for holding the ball
4: Jordan Lewis . This guy does nothing and apprently is seen as a *hard man*
5: Shaun Burgoyne . Very inconsistent
6: Robert Murphy . Either very good or very bad
7: Travis Cloke . Dont need an explanation
8: Matt Priddis. Cheap stats with no game impact
9: Brad Dick. Where do i start?
10: GAJ . 39/40 possesions within a 2 metre radius.
11: Jack Watts

UNDER RATED
1: Brad Sewell. Absolute Machine
2: Kade Simpson . Although i cant stand him, a very good player
3: Tayte Pears . Did some very very good jobs this year
4:Jarrod Hardbrow . Has become an important player for the WBD
5:Scott Pendlebury . Although he is rated, he isnt rated nearly high enough
6: Jude Bolton . Doesnt get the respect he deserves
7: Jack Reiwoldt . Can turn a game on its head
8:David Mckay . Becoming a very good player
9: Ash McGrath . Fantastic player
10: Jay Neagle. Although inconsistent can kick numetous goals

- Fletcher is not overrated. If anything he has been underrated as a player for his entire career. He may not take the oppositions best forward these dayss, but his ability to take on a range of players, read the play, and attatck out of the backline is up there with the best.

- Not sure how anyone can say Ablett is overrated? Ridiculous. He has clearly been the best player in the league for the past 3 years.

- All I heard about Tayte Pears and Harbrow this year were positive things. Not underrated.

- Neagle? How is he underrated? Is this a joke? He has done nothing and does not deserve a rating amonst other clubs as of yet.

Overrated:
- Mooney
- T.Cloke
- Thomas
- L. Davis
- Kozi
- R.Clarke (by his coach)
- X.Clarke (Voss)
- Hawkins (maybe not anymore)

Underrated:
- Edwards
- Black (champion, up there with the best)
- Enright
- J.McVeigh
- Watson (beginning to be recognised however)
- Kepler Bradley (giant of the game, taken the game to a new level)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've just mentioned a guy in Tarrant who has had a solid year as a defender at Freo (was only ever overrated at Collingwood) and lastly a Brownlow medallist who is a very damaging player when on song. Dixon was also never rated, and Mckernan and Grant are champions (both highlighted by each leading the Brownlow count in separate years). Did you see Bazza in his peak at Sydney?
yeah with tarrant im taking his whole career into account, he had a good yr down back with freo but he"s also had plenty of underachieving ones as well.

cooney, cooneys overrated hugely IMO, brownlow medalist pfft, i dont rate him in the best 10 midfielders in the comp, id take any of the following before him. black, murphy, judd, ablett, pendlebury, swan, bartell, selwood, higgens, vince, giansaracusa(parden the spelling) goodes, didak, a few others as well.

bazza, the media and commetaters go on like his a superstar, the blokes a thug hack and an ordinary one at that.

if you want to call Mckernan and grant champions go right ahead, grants kicking for goal was simply pathetic for a so called elite CHF, just no way near damaging enough, big time choker.

Mckernan, had a couple of good yrs and he was made out to be the second comming, his form got to the point where the 2nds wouldnt have wanted him, massively overrated on his overall career and was exposed when carey left.

yeah with tarrant im taking his whole career into account, he had a good yr down back with freo but he"s also had plenty of underachieving ones as well.

cooney, cooneys overrated hugely IMO, brownlow medalist pfft, i dont rate him in the best 10 midfielders in the comp, id take any of the following before him. black, murphy, judd, ablett, pendlebury, swan, bartell, selwood, higgens, vince, giansaracusa(parden the spelling) goodes, didak, a few others as well.

bazza, the media and commetaters go on like his a superstar, the blokes a thug hack and an ordinary one at that.

if you want to call Mckernan and grant champions go right ahead, grants kicking for goal was simply pathetic for a so called elite CHF, just no way near damaging enough, big time choker.

Mckernan, had a couple of good yrs and he was made out to be the second comming, his form got to the point where the 2nds wouldnt have wanted him, massively overrated on his overall career and was exposed when carey left.
Fair enough, I dont agree, buts its your opinion.

Overrated:
- Mooney
- T.Cloke
- Thomas
- L. Davis
- Kozi
- R.Clarke (by his coach)
- X.Clarke (Voss)
- Hawkins (maybe not anymore)

Underrated:
- Edwards
- Black (champion, up there with the best)
- Enright
- J.McVeigh
- Watson (beginning to be recognised however)
- Kepler Bradley (giant of the game, taken the game to a new level)
I would hope this a joke. If not....

watch the grand final? a game winner and match turner. would waltz in to every other team in the league.
he isnt the 1st average player to play well in a GF in those conditions, you have a very very good team and im not bagging the cats in anyway other way, but everytime ive seen the bloke play i think he"s a borderline VFL player, he has nothing, would definantly be the least discused by opposing coaches regarding your team and doesnt get any attention form rival players.

Underrated (no order)
1.Matthew Boyd - consistent, solid player who goes under the radar.
2.Brett Kirk- Does all the hard work, very good clearance player.
3.Adam Selwood - does his job week in, week out. Never stops running.
4.Brad Sewell- used to be just a tagger but took his game to a new level this year winning his own ball at the stoppages.
5.Harry O'Brien- Good overhead mark & has the ability to kick goals. Always gets the most dangerous small forward & gets the job done.
6.Corey Enright - just so solid, uses the ball well goes about his footy with a minimum of fuss.
7.Lenny Hayes - This guy is a gun who has to be in the top 5 midfielders in the comp. Outstanding finals series, will hopefully now get the recognition he deserves.
8.Mark LeCras - Very unlucky not to be an All Australian this year. 58 goals from a forward pocket, excellent kicking skills.
9.Bernie Vince - Becoming an elite midfielder. Great finish to 09, watch him explode in 2010.
10.Simon Black - this guy has such clean hands & would have to be the best handballer in the comp. Reads the ball of hands so well.

Overrated (no order)
1. Dale Thomas - just way to flashy for mine. Has not lived up to the expectations (No 2 draft pick), goes missing in games. Will give him some credit this year in that he is improving his workrate, played a decent finals series but has a long way to go .
2.Daniel Wells- all the hype about this guy has proved to be wrong. Can't handle a tag & can't get himself fit.
3.Danyle Pearce- Another one who can't handle a tag. Seems to be a front runner,loooks great when team is winning but goes awol when behind.
4.Des Headland- Only looked at Brisbane because Voss,Black, Lappin, Akermanis would get the hard ball & feed it to him. Often injured at Freo, does not do much on the rare occasions he does play.
5.Travis Cloke- Had big expectations put on him at the pies - goes missing when his team needs him most.
6.Leon Davis - To be a great player who need to perform on the big stage in finals. Leon is yet to produce in big finals, has the talent but needs to show something when it matters most.
7.Ryan Griffin - Every year we how good this guy is going to be & he does not produce the goods on a regular basis. Has the talent no doubt, but goes missing for too long in games.
8.Stephen Milne - Every small forward would dream of crumbing to Reiwoldt & Kosi. You know if they do not mark it, they will bring it to ground allowing you to swoop. Should kick many more goals & another who does not handle the big finals.
9.Daniel Kerr- Has found how much harder things are with no Judd or Cousins. Struggles when tagged & has not handled being the number 1 midfilder the last 2 years.
10.Dean Polo -This guy turns the ball over way too much for mine. Seems to make poor choices, skills need much work.
All of your underrated players are rated heavily and all of your overrated players are not rated!

All of your underrated players are rated heavily and all of your overrated players are not rated!

Griffin and Kerr aren't rated? What rock are you living under? :confused:

If Kerr doesn't perform next year, then yes he should be considered over rated and carried by others when at his peak.

Overated players
Kosi: plays well in patches but then goes missing
David Mundy: People think he could be such a gun but only produces a few good games a season unfortunatly i like watching him play well
Matt Priddis: Does he ever kick it long? or just handpass and get 30odd possesians a game without doing anything with them
Ryan Griffen: dito Mundy
Andrew Lovett could be an abosoulute gun aswell has some poor descion making skills and kicking
Leon "gone missing September" davis: Does he show up In September
S milne: dont get me started on his grand final performence
D. Tohmas plays really well in patches then goes missing
D.Pearce an abosolute stinker of a year.
D Swan clearly shown in the brownlow that poessions do not mean anything, although i do like wathcing him play
Underated Players
Although Im a north supporter Brent Harvey has to be up there with the most underated players when boomer plays well north play well he carries the team.
Brad Sewell: used to be a tagger but now has sent a new benchmark and has become an very important person in the hawks midfield
H Mcintosh: In their with the best ruckmen in the league probably just behing coxy had another fantastic year but still gets underattes imo
B Vince People are just now seeing that this bloke is a gun and will be for the crows for the next ten years or so
C Enright: Just does he's job day in day out
J Bolton Dito Enright
P Chapman: showed in the gf how important he was i serously think a whole year with no injuries will win him a bronlow
S Black keeps getting in the umpires eyes and is such an important person in brisbane's midfield yet would probably be not named in the top ten best midfieldplayers.
L Hayes absoulute class about this bloke still gets underated at stkilda because of riewoldt etc.
A Selwood does he job week in week out

Definitely dane swan, has no impact on games. wins all possesions through cheap kicks and handballs, shows rare flashes of brilliance. Most overrated player in the whole AFL.

Definitely dane swan, has no impact on games. wins all possesions through cheap kicks and handballs, shows rare flashes of brilliance. Most overrated player in the whole AFL.

yeah id say he"s overated by the media but not by most collingwood fans, the reason he isnt as damaging as some is his disposal by foot, he can hit cheap targets but struggles when he trys to pinpoint 50 mtr kicks and often turns it over, he does have a massive kick on him though, 60mtr + i kid you not but still needs to work on his kicking game, needs to kick more goals as well. IMO

he is working on this area though and is improving, he"s one of the best one on one marks out of all the onballers in the league and rarely beaten in any one on one situation, he walks into any team in the competition without doubt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Top 10 Overrated and Underrated Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back