Opinion Top 5 Most Overrated Players Of All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

when you made top 4, yeah

because kerr carried us. The reason kerr is viewed as a frontrunner by some is that since judd left he has been continuously injured.
Back in 05/06 the games that we lost it was normally kerr who was the one that stood up.
He is in no way a frontrunner and being an inside player this just makes sense. He wins the ball then dishes it off, not the other way around.

because kerr carried us. The reason kerr is viewed as a frontrunner by some is that since judd left he has been continuously injured.
Back in 05/06 the games that we lost it was normally kerr who was the one that stood up.
He is in no way a frontrunner and being an inside player this just makes sense. He wins the ball then dishes it off, not the other way around.

even in 07 he was frontrunning. had like 10 touches vs geelong. he can't handle a tag

1. James Hird. By far the most overrated player in history.
2. Lenny Hayes.
3. Nick Riewoldt.
4. Scott Lucas. Absolute spud.
5. Robert Harvey. Club cancer. Worst disease a club can get.

The Most Overrated Players I've Seen Live (since approximately 1977, in order):

1. Matthew Richardson :rolleyes::eek:
2. Michael Long
3. Anthony Rocca
4. Lance Franklin
5. Stephen Silvagni

Bloke can't catch a trick. Worst 200 gamer of all time and still overrated? :p

From those I've seen play, in no particular order:

• S Silvagni (FB of the Century?? - Scarlett is clearly better)
  • N Buckley (A fast, strong, skilled...receiver)
  • G Lyon (Not hard to look good in rubbish Melbourne teams)
  • A Didak (Downhill skiier, always has been)
  • D Brereton (Fortunate to play in a strong Maybloom era)

In no particular order:

1. Nathan Buckley
2. Robert Harvey (i remember Malcolm Blight saying he'd happily let Harvey get 40 posessions a game becuse he always goes sideways)
3.Cameron Mooney
4.Angus Monfries
5.Justin Kositchke (10 years of nothing)

In no particular order:

1. Nathan Buckley
2. Robert Harvey (i remember Malcolm Blight saying he'd happily let Harvey get 40 posessions a game becuse he always goes sideways)
3.Cameron Mooney
4.Angus Monfries
5.Justin Kositchke (10 years of nothing)

Funny. Didn't your club play him in a GF in his 11th game? :eek:

In 2006, there was only 5 games where he went without kicking a goal or more.

In 2007, there was only 1 game where he went without kicking a goal or more. He kicked 55 goals and was 4th in the Coleman medallist tally, behind Brown, Pavlich and Buddy, all guns. He went AA that year.

In 2008, he kicked 47 goals, finishing 12th in the Coleman medallist tally.

In 2009, he kicked 41 goals, finishing 13th in the Coleman medallist tally.

During that period, he was pretty much our barometer. Everything he is applauded for is deserved. It's more than an achievement being one of the most important players in the best team. Unfortunately age has caught up with him, and he hasn't been as good in the past 2 years. He's a certain retirement this year.

Mooney used to be known as the big,bad party animal with the curls, who got suspended often.. He's turned into a family man, who cut off the curls to take attention away from him and his family. And for those reasons alone, without the footy stats, I respect him. He would be the first of our players to put the club before himself, and he was the first to give Stokes help and financial aid when Mathew was having trouble with drugs. He deserves all the respect he gets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• N Buckley (A fast, strong, skilled...receiver)

Lyon is overrated because he played in a weak team and looked good.

Brereton is overrated because he played in a strong team and looked...:confused:

Lyon played in the strong Melb teams of the late 80's and was probably cruelled somewhat by that back injury. Thought he was a decent player and rated pretty fairly.

Dermott statistically wasn't superstar but it didn't stop him having legendary impact on the big games. Rules have changed but back then he was one of Yabby's first picked in a final.

I never said i don't respect him.....hell i even like him and yes he played in a grand final with us but the question was who is overrated and i personally think that as much as everyone and me likes him, he is a very average footballer. I have no problem saying you would like him at your club or that you would like to play alongside him, i just think that he was very very mediocre purely as a footballer. Plenty with the same talent have done much less. Good luck to him.

[*]N Buckley (A fast, strong, skilled...receiver)

Myth. He averaged a healthy number of contested possessions per game and was up there with the clearances too.

Some absolute legends being touted here. I wonder if many of you were old enough t see some of these guys for there full careers or are just judging them on their closing stages.

I am going to choose a non Essendon player to defend since he keeps coming up.
DERMOT BRERETON was an absolute superstar and one of the most influential players I have seen especially in finals. Why do you think Mark Yeats came off the line and took him out in the first moments of the 89 GF.

B Johnson
N Maxwell
M Scarlett
T Harley
C Ward
T Scully

Also just for the fun of it:D

Voss over Buckley everyday and twice on sundays. Buckley may have been 1% more skillful than Voss. But voss had everything else over buckley...

lol @ people saying Robert Harvey. Consecutive/dual brownlow medal winner who played 383 games, 8 times AA, 4 times B&F, and captained his side to a minor premiership in 97'. Gun.

lol @ people saying Robert Harvey. Consecutive/dual brownlow medal winner who played 383 games, 8 times AA, 4 times B&F, and captained his side to a minor premiership in 97'. Gun.

One of the Brownlows rightfully belongs to Chris Grant. But that d1ck cheese that is Ian Collins sure as hell gave it to him up the arse.

But yeah, Harvey was a good player, even though I hate the Aint's I don't know what people have against him. Definitely a powerhouse in the 90's era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Top 5 Most Overrated Players Of All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back