Opinion Top 5 Most Talented Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Sitting on the train bored and just thinking about who our most talented players are. Not necessarily our "best" at this stage, but talented, potential best in a couple of years, etc.

I found my top 5 interesting:
1. Petracca
2. Oliver
3. Lever
4. Hogan
=5 Hunt, Brayshaw

Maybe I'm not giving Gawn, Viney, Hibberd, Jetta enough credit because they've fulfilled their potential, but I'd still have the 6 I've named in the top 10 regardless.

What's interesting about that to me, is that they're all 21 and younger and haven't played 50 games yet, except for Lever who's got 56. Says to me that we should have plenty of improvement to draw on.

Anybody got different thoughts? We can all come back in a few years and have a really good laugh at our predicted "most talented" who have all been delisted!

Edit: OK, so Hogan is 22, but you get my drift.

Last edited:
Both Salem and Brayshaw are more ‘talented’ than Hunt. They’re much smarter players who use the ball better than Hunt.

Hmm, I was contemplating Salem as an honourable mention, but I'm not convinced that he'll get much better. I reckon Hunt just needs to slow down sometimes and sum up the situation better, and that should be quite teachable.

Want to see him in red and blue first before judging.

Can play from what I've seen, but it's much easier to give an opinion on someone you've seen 25-30 times over a guy you've seen maybe once in the flesh and 4-5 total.

Tracca is the most talented, Oliver has the runs on the board but if you are talking the complete footballer Trac has by some distance at the moment.

Oliver beautiful hands either picking up the ball or delivering it to someone else and is a clearance machine for such a young kid although his clearances for the most part have been getting the handball to someone in space which is semi reliant on having a decent outside option.

Tracs clearances have the potential to be as damaging as anyone in the AFL with his sheer power and directness meaning we score from them. Trac has displayed more consistent vision with his kicking.

Trac can also go forward and take marks against AFL defenders or find a bullet pass to a team mate in a brilliant position. I don't rate them but champion data had Trac in the AA team on a flank for most of the season such was the damage of every disposal.

So for mine
Oliver
Petracca
Lever
Hogan ( as a CHF )
Gawn

People might question the Gawn one but hes 25, if he can replicate his marking ability around the ground he showed in 16 he could finish as our greatest ever ruck because he is only just hitting his peak years as a ruck now

1. Petracca
2. Oliver
3. Hogan
4. Gawn
5. Lever
+1 for this.

I also think players who could improve substantially if all goes well include Hunt, Brayshaw, Salem and (controversially) OMac.

I think J Viney may have better kicking in him somewhere too.

I probably have a different perspective of what I define as "talent" to everyone else, coz my Top 5 looks a bit different to all the others.

1. Tom McDonald
2. Christian Petracca
3. Clayton Oliver
4. Michael Hibberd
5. Angus Brayshaw

For mine TMac is the most talented player. A big guy but really quick, fit, strong, durable, can sell some candy, competes in every position, and even though there have been knocks on his kicking, I thought his general kicking improved immensely. We also saw this year he's an awesome set shot for goal.

Trac and Oliver are self-explanatory.

Hibberd I'd also have top 5 as he is athletic, surprisingly quick, knows how to shrug a tackle, smart at reading the play, good at getting a spoil in and is a nice kick of the ball.

Brayshaw I like coz he's one of the few footballers who can kick to a high standard off both feet, but also he can win a hard-ball.

After these guys I'd be looking at players like Hogan, Gawn and Lever. Even Mitch Hannan is someone I see as being quite talented with his marking and crumbing.

+1 for this.

I also think players who could improve substantially if all goes well include Hunt, Brayshaw, Salem and (controversially) OMac.

I think J Viney may have better kicking in him somewhere too.
The one player I was pretty tempted to put in there was T Mac due to his ability to play at both ends of the ground as well as in the ruck. It's great that we've got a lot of talented players on our list who have still got quite a bit of scope for improvement left so that is pretty exciting.

It's great that we've got a lot of talented players on our list who have still got quite a bit of scope for improvement left so that is pretty exciting.

Yes, this is essentially why I started the thread. Coincidentally, I was just over on the North board and they have a similar "Best 5 Players" thread. Many of them are going with Waite (35), Higgins (29), Goldstein (29) and Tarrant (28) with Cunnington, Brown and Ziebell. The odd one has named a Simpkin or a Wood, but... ouch!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, this is essentially why I started the thread. Coincidentally, I was just over on the North board and they have a similar "Best 5 Players" thread. Many of them are going with Waite (35), Higgins (29), Goldstein (29) and Tarrant (28) with Cunnington, Brown and Ziebell. The odd one has named a Simpkin or a Wood, but... ouch!

Geezus that's not good

Quite interesting topic because talent is different to best. One could argue that Colin Sylvia was our most talented player on our list at one point, but it means nothing if the player doesn't have the work ethic. More recent example us Watts has a load of talent but there's a reason he isn't on the list anymore. Same thing with Richmond are they the most talented list nope but they won the premiership. Having said all that I do believe we have some of the best young talent in the comp and I sincerely believe they will take the next step and become stars of the comp which is what really excites me. When our most talented young players petracca oliver Brayshaw salem lever (probably already a start) click in with our best mcdonald, gawn, viney, hibberd, jetta good times a head. Petracca is the one that excites me the most when he starts to put it together, watch out.

This is a difficult one, I think Trac and Oliver have the most raw talent of anyone on the list, think they are the guys who can turn up and be good without really having to try as hard.

Throw a blanket over Tmac, Gawn, Hogan, Viney, Brayshaw, Hibberd and Lever for the next most talented in my opinion. They are all very talented as well.

Running fast doesn't make you talented.
Dashing 6ft 6 defenders who can also ruck and have good mobility dont grow on trees

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Frost is athletically gifted definitely, but talent to me is quality ball handling and disposal along with composure under pressure.

I guess it is a good question though as to what people see as talented. One of the main reasons I went with Trac near the top was because he was a natural athlete, one of those annoying people who could play any sport and be good at it. I could see Frost being similar, because despite not having the best ball handling and decision making skills, I would imagine that his ridiculous athleticism would be helpful for most sports.

Both Salem and Brayshaw are more ‘talented’ than Hunt. They’re much smarter players who use the ball better than Hunt.
Pure footy talent yes but athleticism counts to overall talent too, and Hunt has a decent level of skill to go with his run.

1. Trac
2. Oliver
3. Hogan
4. Lever
5. Hunt

Brayshaw and Viney around the mark

Remove this Banner Ad

Back