Top Clubs may rest players ... beware of who you draft

Remove this Banner Ad

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The top teams will have an eye for the finals, for us dream team coaches the finals are the last 4 weeks of the season regular. Coaches need to be careful with their draft choices from here on in.

The top midfielders all seem to be with the top clubs, Ablett, Montagna, Dal Santo, Swan, Hayes, Sewell, Davis ... apart from Sewell, I could see any of these guys being rested in the lead up to the finals. This would likely be the case with the back, forward and rucks too.

My opinion is:

If you are looking to finish your team or have lost a keeper, maybe Adcock or Cox? It may be well to look for players who are in the teams battling for the finals rather than the top 4 or 5. Look for top Carlton, Hawthorn, Essendon or Port Adelaide players, if those guys are fit they will play.

Further weeks like the one just past where Geelong 'had a bunch of minor injuries' would again cost most of us dearly. ;)

You could also make the same case for the bottom four sides; they have nothing left to play for and will often give players carrying niggling injuries the rest of the year off and will often opt to give them surgery earlier than needed to ensure they can get them right before next season/pre-season. Cox is extremely high on this list at the moment.

The top teams will have an eye for the finals, for us dream team coaches the finals are the last 4 weeks of the season regular. Coaches need to be careful with their draft choices from here on in.

The top midfielders all seem to be with the top clubs, Ablett, Montagna, Dal Santo, Swan, Hayes, Sewell, Davis ... apart from Sewell, I could see any of these guys being rested in the lead up to the finals. This would likely be the case with the back, forward and rucks too.

My opinion is:

If you are looking to finish your team or have lost a keeper, maybe Adcock or Cox? It may be well to look for players who are in the teams battling for the finals rather than the top 4 or 5. Look for top Carlton, Hawthorn, Essendon or Port Adelaide players, if those guys are fit they will play.

Further weeks like the one just past where Geelong 'had a bunch of minor injuries' would again cost most of us dearly. ;)
One of the reasons I brought Sewell in last week was that I knew the Hawks would give the season a crack and wouldn't rest him.

As far as Cox goes though, the main players to look at for me are Jolly, Petrie, Tippet, Sandi. I think Petrie, Tippet and Jolly will play out the year, but unsure about Sandi and his injury.

This is exactly what im thinking about i have to trade Adcock out and i would go straight to Enright but i fear he may be rested so now im thinking i will be going Ryder or Carrazzo just because i know that they will both play out the season bar injury.

Also with Cox i am probably going to go Petrie or Tippet but im not sure about Petrie because North have enough tall's on there list to do without Petrie so if Petrie gets a niggle he could easily be rested.

While it is worth bearing in mind in certain circumstances (e.g. Swan v Ablett), I think there is a danger in focusing too much on trying to identify which players are going to be rested.

The top teams will have an eye for the finals...
You could also make the same case for the bottom four sides....

Going at this rate, we will pretty soon have ruled out half of the competion (and most upgrade targets)! I'm not sure that the resting/tanking effect is as significant as is implied, though I would be interested if anyone has done any research from previous years that suggests otherwise.

While it is worth bearing in mind in certain circumstances (e.g. Swan v Ablett), I think there is a danger in focusing too much on trying to identify which players are going to be rested.

Going at this rate, we will pretty soon have ruled out half of the competion (and most upgrade targets)! I'm not sure that the resting/tanking effect is as significant as is implied, though I would be interested if anyone has done any research from previous years that suggests otherwise.
Well last year Cox played every game with a foot injury even though the Eagles were destined for bottom three.

This year they seem to be taking the cautios approach with him.

Well last year Cox played every game with a foot injury even though the Eagles were destined for bottom three.

This year they seem to be taking the cautios approach with him.

I think this is partly because Cox was a big favourite for his first club champion award last season, and he wanted to guarantee it.

As long as a top 4 spot is still up for grabs, picking players from Collingwood, Bulldogs, Brisbane and Adelaide should still be a good option. And St Kilda didn't rest any players this weekend so maybe they will play a full team the whole year. While the undefeated streak is still on the line, you would think that they will keep having a full team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the reasons I brought Sewell in last week was that I knew the Hawks would give the season a crack and wouldn't rest him.

Did you not rate North Melbourne a chance to beat Hawthorn last week? If the Kangaroos had won, that would have changed your scenario significantly.

As far as Cox goes though, the main players to look at for me are Jolly, Petrie, Tippet, Sandi. I think Petrie, Tippet and Jolly will play out the year, but unsure about Sandi and his injury.

What about Mitch Clark?? 3 Round mean 97.7. Season Avg 83.7. 100+ in 5 of his past 7 games. Having a break-out year?!

As long as a top 4 spot is still up for grabs, picking players from Collingwood, Bulldogs, Brisbane and Adelaide should still be a good option. And St Kilda didn't rest any players this weekend so maybe they will play a full team the whole year. While the undefeated streak is still on the line, you would think that they will keep having a full team.

Lyon made a comment to the media about (Geelong) resting players being disrespectful to other teams in the comp. I don't think we're gonna see the same nonchalance/player management with the Saints. They won't be flirting with their form, IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top Clubs may rest players ... beware of who you draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back