Top Ten Captains of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Thrawn said:
Buckley and Hird have nothing on Sticks when it comes to leadership.

In fact, I wouldn't put Hird and Buckley along names like Voss, Matthews, Tuck, Nicholls, et al.

Carlton fan so predictable cant acknowledge the essendon and collingwood greats,
Id say Paul Kelly was the great one but an honourable mention to Craig Bradley

Norm Smith
Ron Barassi
Richard Reynolds,how rediculares.King Richard was his moniker.
Bob Davis
Murrey Wiederman
Bob Skilton
John Nicholls
Ted Whitten
Charlie Sutten
And take you pick from a purely parochial viewpoint of Jack Clarke, Ken Fraser
and James Hird.

It's not easy and all of the above rose above it all particularly Nicholls.What a player he was.

Top 3 would have been a better suggestion.

1.Wayne Carey - By streets
2.Stephen Kernahan
3.Michael Voss

Won't find many captains of any era any better or more inspirational than those three.

I don't think Buckley has been a great captain. Was hated for a long time and couldn't get through to the players caus his demands were to great.

Jonesy1987 said:
Carlton fan so predictable cant acknowledge the essendon and collingwood greats,

Typical retort. I've always acknowledged em as good players, no question about it. Good captians, yes. But AS CAPTAINS, they don't deserve to be placed with the likes of Kernahan, Nichols, Barassi, Whitten, etc.

Id say Paul Kelly was the great one but an honourable mention to Craig Bradley

I wouldn't include Braddles because he wasn't captain long enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mutant said:
1 & 2 Voss and Kelly (can't split them)
3. The Don
4. John Eels
5. George Gregan
6. Mathews
7. Alan Border
8. Worsfold
9. Stan Nowotny
10. Liz Ellis
Needs more Brad Fittler.

Love or hate the sport its obvious he was a great captain, probly the best captain i've seen.

Carey was captain of the All-Australian side as a 22 year old if i remember correctly, second youngest captain of all time. Cant get much better than him, what counts is on the field, that is where you win premierships, thats the only thing that matters, and there wernt many better.

Mutant said:
1 & 2 Voss and Kelly (can't split them)
3. The Don
4. John Eels
5. George Gregan
6. Mathews
7. Alan Border
8. Worsfold
9. Stan Nowotny
10. Liz Ellis

No 1. Edward John Smith. Put it ALL on the line.

I think somebody mentioned no SCG Waugh.

Big John said:
I don't think Buckley has been a great captain. Was hated for a long time and couldn't get through to the players caus his demands were to great.
This was all before he was made captain of Collingwood. Buckley has been a great captain, lifted an average team talent wise to almost steal a GF......that was awesome.

Look at how Voss performed as captain when the gun players weren't surrounding him......club turned into a rabble.

Carey similar, all good when ur winning, but to act the way he did and leave his club he tarnished his rep.

All to do with the talent available at ur disposal

Lions_Master said:
There is a difference between being a great player and a great captain

yes there is a difference nut not in this case, michael voss and wayne carey clearly the most intimadating players to the opposition and lead there team from the front whether it be verbally or in there actions, sorry to say it mate but you are just another one of those sad people who hated wayne carey throughout his career purely because he was the best and he acted like it and he lead his team like it, ask any kangaroo player who played with him and they will say that they walked taller when he played purely because of his pressence,,now that is a true leader, not just anyone gets nick named "the king" mate and no one ever will get that name again.

P.S and to all u idiots who think the roos are gonna struggle for the next few years wake up to yourself, we have 3 of the most exciting young ruckman under 22 in the game playing for us, daniel wells when he gets support and his body right will be an out and out star, jesse smith who would have to be a an absolute favourite for the rising star, believe the hype this kid will be a star, andrew swallow tough quick rsing star nomination who has a big future, daniel harris the most underrated player in the comp. if you dont believe me check the stats for tackles,hard ball gets, contested possesions and clearances! and the number 3 draft pick will fit in nicely next year and drew petrie seems very settled at CHB, dont worry the kangas will be back!

doppleganger said:
This was all before he was made captain of Collingwood. Buckley has been a great captain, lifted an average team talent wise to almost steal a GF......that was awesome.

Look at how Voss performed as captain when the gun players weren't surrounding him......club turned into a rabble.

Carey similar, all good when ur winning, but to act the way he did and leave his club he tarnished his rep.

All to do with the talent available at ur disposal

mate you are just a sook, ur just still dirty the lions beat you in those 2 gf's!!g et over it!! ok voss and carey are streets ahead of buckley, you are a dill!

jesusjnr23 said:
mate you are just a sook, ur just still dirty the lions beat you in those 2 gf's!!g et over it!! ok voss and carey are streets ahead of buckley, you are a dill!

Agree, not a very good captain. Well, certainly not an all time great.

jesusjnr23 said:
not sooking at all

both great leaders, but pretty easy when surrounded by plenty of champions.......what brisbane 4 GF's in a row, kangas 7PF's in a row.

think this was solely due to the captain do ya???

if Voss is the best captain ever how come this year he couldn't inspire his team?? Isn't that what a good captain does??

and not saying that Buckley is better then any of them either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top Ten Captains of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back