Top Ten Captains of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

doppleganger said:
not sooking at all

both great leaders, but pretty easy when surrounded by plenty of champions.......what brisbane 4 GF's in a row, kangas 7PF's in a row.

think this was solely due to the captain do ya???

if Voss is the best captain ever how come this year he couldn't inspire his team?? Isn't that what a good captain does??

and not saying that Buckley is better then any of them either.

yer they did have great players around them....people do get old u idiot u cant keep doing it forever ask any1 on this planet voss and carey when it comes to buckley are not even in the same galaxy..buckley was a very good captain but voss and carey were 2 of the best, long way in between them

doppleganger said:
Voss played 21 games this year

I will clarify. He was hampered by injuries. Luke Ball played most of them as well. I would still injuries hampered his captaincy ability (I am not suggesting he be considered for this forum).

jesusjnr23 said:
yer they did have great players around them....people do get old u idiot u cant keep doing it forever ask any1 on this planet voss and carey when it comes to buckley are not even in the same galaxy..buckley was a very good captain but voss and carey were 2 of the best, long way in between them
fair enough champ

carey f*cking his mates wife was good leadership i spose.

stevo, archer were more inspiring team men then carey i reckon.....whilst Carey the much better footballer

sauce_head said:
I will clarify. He was hampered by injuries. Luke Ball played most of them as well. I would still injuries hampered his captaincy ability (I am not suggesting he be considered for this forum).
Agree somewhat, coming to the end of his career, shadow of his former self, the gun players no longer surrounding him. Still fought on well tho

to doppleganger ir wateva u are, sleeping eith ur mates wife has absolutely f***ing nothing to do with leadership and u know it u fool u r just trying to bag carey and i agree with wat u said about stevo and arch but stevo was not captain long enough and i dont think arch talked enough to be captain but both outstanding leaders and u asked me before what about this year how come voss couldnt lead his team well without the cattle to another premiership or other success and i said injuries which were the reason..and u ask wat hat has to do with it? r u off ur nut?

droppuntkick23 said:
Wayne Carey.
Robert Flower.
Royce Hart.
Leigh Matthews.
Michael Voss.
James Hird.
Darrel Baldock.
Mark Ricciuto
Wayne Schimmelbusch
Paul Kelly
:thumbsu:

Best list so far by a long way.

Would add Worsfold to no.10, was one tough S.o.B

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jesusjnr23 said:
to doppleganger ir wateva u are, sleeping eith ur mates wife has absolutely f***ing nothing to do with leadership and u know it u fool u r just trying to bag carey and i agree with wat u said about stevo and arch but stevo was not captain long enough and i dont think arch talked enough to be captain but both outstanding leaders and u asked me before what about this year how come voss couldnt lead his team well without the cattle to another premiership or other success and i said injuries which were the reason..and u ask wat hat has to do with it? r u off ur nut?

Could someone please decipher this mess?

jesusjnr23 said:
clealry u have a differing view of leadership to myself.

The captaincy is purely a title, doesn't actually mean anything in AFL.

U dont have to hold the title of captain to be your teams leader.......see st.kilda & west coast.

F*cking a team-mates wife clearly doesn't work with me in terms of leadership, i wouldn't want to play with somebody who like that, your team-mates are like ur family and u expect them to have ur back, carey clearly didn't.

Stevo & Arch were the heart & sole of the kangas, they were the leaders of the team. Carey was the gun player.

Regarding injuries, i was never responding to you in the first place, was in reference to a "sauce-head" post.

Vulcan said:
Norm Smith
Ron Barassi
Richard Reynolds,how rediculares.King Richard was his moniker.
Bob Davis
Murrey Wiederman
Bob Skilton
John Nicholls
Ted Whitten
Charlie Sutten
And take you pick from a purely parochial viewpoint of Jack Clarke, Ken Fraser
and James Hird.

It's not easy and all of the above rose above it all particularly Nicholls.What a player he was.
I like this list, some great names on here, but I'm not of the vintage to have seen them all play/lead.

I haven't read through all the posts yet, but haven't seen Jack Dyer listed - can anyone comment on his leadership? Darrell Baldock probably deserves a mention too.

local said:
Tha captain of captains :thumbsu:

Agreed.

There's your best Captain of all time in AFL / VFL history. Jack Dyer was inspirational, tough and uncompromising.

doppleganger said:
clealry u have a differing view of leadership to myself.

The captaincy is purely a title, doesn't actually mean anything in AFL.

U dont have to hold the title of captain to be your teams leader.......see st.kilda & west coast.

F*cking a team-mates wife clearly doesn't work with me in terms of leadership, i wouldn't want to play with somebody who like that, your team-mates are like ur family and u expect them to have ur back, carey clearly didn't.

Stevo & Arch were the heart & sole of the kangas, they were the leaders of the team. Carey was the gun player.

Regarding injuries, i was never responding to you in the first place, was in reference to a "sauce-head" post.

Maybe you should rent the entire collection of Roo games during the 90's. He played more inspirational team lifting games in 1993 as a 21/22 y.o. than Buckley has in his entire career.

Carey lead on and off the field, and if your "rabble" theory comes into play, the club actually fell apart once he left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top Ten Captains of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back