Topping Up To Win A Flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Has there ever been an occasion where a club has picked up a big name player and then won the premiership within two or three years? I was just thinking back over the past few years trying to come up with a case where a list top-up rather than player development has delivered a flag. North did it in the '70s with the ten year rule, but I am not sure that it has ever really been a factor.

Martin Pike perhaps????

unexplained said:
Has there ever been an occasion where a club has picked up a big name player and then won the premiership within two or three years? I was just thinking back over the past few years trying to come up with a case where a list top-up rather than player development has delivered a flag. North did it in the '70s with the ten year rule, but I am not sure that it has ever really been a factor.
Martin Pike perhaps????

happens rarely but Barry Hall ti the swans

Greg Williams to Carlton

Jarman to Adelaide

Pike wasn't a big name compared to the all star squad Brisbane already had.

Sadly in Carlton's case, it backfired backtime after the 95 premiership ...
Too many to list now, but getting Mick Mcguane was the beginning of the rot that set into the Carlton FC and I honestly blame David Parkin more then John Elliott for that. Sure Elliott did the rorts, but Parkin was the geezer who kept recycling the hacks right up to the end of 2000 when he stood aside for Wayne Brittain.
Also as Unexplained pointed out, the Wayne Carey to Adelaide venture was an abject failure (although perhaps worth it at the time) but I'll also never understand why the Crows also went for Ronnie Burns.

unexplained said:

Martin Pike perhaps????
martin pike wasnt a topup option, it was just adding a versatile player with experience, not going out and shopping for a star.

dan warna said:
happens rarely but Barry Hall ti the swans

Greg Williams to Carlton

Jarman to Adelaide

Pike wasn't a big name compared to the all star squad Brisbane already had.

I do not think we topped up with b hall to win a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damien Hardwick's first season with Port in 2002, premiership in 2004, he managed to play in 6 consecutive minor premiership sides.
Byron Pickett's first season with Port in 2003, premiership in 2004, Norm Smith medallist.

Porthos said:
Damien Hardwick's first season with Port in 2002, premiership in 2004, he managed to play in 6 consecutive minor premiership sides.
Byron Pickett's first season with Port in 2003, premiership in 2004, Norm Smith medallist.

Mind you, it's hard not to win one when the AFL serves it to you on a platter :)

JoffaMan said:
Mind you, it's hard not to win one when the AFL serves it to you on a platter :)

of course.....our three straight wins against quality opposition in the finals proves that. especially when we finished on top for the two years before hand. surely the fixture changes every season?!! oh dont tell me...

Would a failure at the moment be geelong getting Brad Ottens?? Or does it need more time befor that comment can be made??

I was being a bit facetious with the Pikey comment, I think he was just in the right spot at the right time. West Coast have never really gone after the big names that i can recall, and havent really lost any big names either, cept for the G train, who bizarrely became the anti-top up player. With him, probably a flag already in the bag.

North did well out of the Carey fiasco in the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Topping Up To Win A Flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back