Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's the guy who jumped in front of the media earlier this week a like a quivering schoolgirl and said we wanted Chad before Chad proceeded to predictably go and pick the big club two days later and make us look like desperate losers.

He's in the role. He's gotta wear it.
Good work. You’ve dismissed Sam Power on the strength of a fairy floss interview where he otherwise played a predictably straight bat after a ridiculously drawn out intro that left him hanging in the wind looking a bit silly.

There’s always someone to blame and I guess Powers going to wear it here.

Do you know what happened behind the scenes? Please enlighten me. Seeing as you’re allowed to tell people how to react, surely you must know it all?

I’ll move on, it’s still a little fresh so I’m a little wild but it’s not the end of the world. We still cocked this up, though. Went after gun player, were in the box seat and failed.

Unlike yourself i’m not claiming the club completely ballsed it up.
Seeing as you are i’d like to know how they balled it up ?
You and others must know something so let’s hear it.

sorry guys, its a long thread and I cbf looking back through.
Whats likely to happen with Adams? I keep hearing that 'hes gone' in the media, but im not sure how that will happen given the length left on his contract.
Also what about roughy, haven't heard anything, and from what Ive seen & heard there isn't much interest.

So who’s available now? We should move on to the next target ASAP.

We need mature talent that isn’t just a stop gap (although we need those too).

We’ve got too many players who can perform Scully’s role (although he is a gun), May isn’t in an area of need (although we could try to offer them Adams as a replacement and give them our first, that’d work), Beams wouldn’t pick us and is too old to sell the farm on.

What left is there?

If we could get Preuss I’d be happy but that’s about it.

sorry guys, its a long thread and I cbf looking back through.
Whats likely to happen with Adams? I keep hearing that 'hes gone' in the media, but im not sure how that will happen given the length left on his contract.
Also what about roughy, haven't heard anything, and from what Ive seen & heard there isn't much interest.
Club taking pretty hard stance that he's a required player and will see out his contract. This usually translates to us being willing to take a very good deal or else we keep him. With Brisbane trading off Pick 24 last week, I don't see a deal happening unless it involved future picks or players

So we never went after Wingard?

Look I’ll move on and crap like this happens but we went after him hard and didn’t get him. That’s a fact. You can spin it either way you want. I don’t really care.

Club taking pretty hard stance that he's a required player and will see out his contract. This usually translates to us being willing to take a very good deal or else we keep him. With Brisbane trading off Pick 24 last week, I don't see a deal happening unless it involved future picks or players
thanks virgin dog

One of the accusations was “poor communication”. Looking forward to the insightful explanation on that one!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

GeeZ the collective expertise out there in AFL trading and negotiating contracts and inducements in amazing.

Everybody is a guru and expert on how it should be done. Especially in retrospect!

Why doesn't the club just sub contract out the list management job to this forum?
I think you misunderstand the point of an internet forum. The vast majority of people here would understand that this is all hypothetical talk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Facts are:

1. We chased Wingard and did not get him.
2. He was Hawthorn’s second pick behind Shiel, and Wingard knew this.

That’s bad and a failure by itself. Likelihoods given reporting are:

1. We offered him a more substantive and long term contract (given Hawks approach with contracting)
2. He chose Hawks because they are a “bigger club” (from Pan’s impeccable sources)

That’s horrendous and shows that we didn’t market ourselves as well as we could or should have (regardless of what was actually said, we have a younger more promising list, we should have been able to make the best argument). I’ve lessened my raging a bit, but this is bitterly disappointing.

Hard to disagree with all your recent posts where plenty are trying to sugar coat it.

We absoltely f***** this ourselves and we really looked like a small and insignificant club today. No nicer way of putting it.

Ok time to bite finally (not just OP). How the hell did we stuff the Wingard deal up????? We make a pitch to Wingard as did Hawks. Port go about business as usual until they believe they have a suitable trade and then Wingard announces. We just weren’t prepared to go over what we believed his worth to be. The “breaking” news that Wingard does do overs is old news. PA list manager even alluded to it in a polite way. The club (PA) and the coaches were committed in trying to get the best out of Chad. We obviously were committed to the same for Chad but only to a certain price. Shows the club is on the right track and has a vision instead of keeping a bunch of keyboard experts happy. Takes for guts and intelligence to stand you ground rather than inflaming a situation just to save face.
Might be time Mods made a new thread and banned Wingard chat as it’s time to move on. Libba could again be permitted as Bombers rumour isn’t new.
As for Kelly talk, couldn’t we leave it alone until the club or Kelly say something. I’m sure the club has made enquires but not with our energies.

So we never went after Wingard?

Look I’ll move on and crap like this happens but we went after him hard and didn’t get him. That’s a fact. You can spin it either way you want. I don’t really care.

Correct, we went after Wingard and didn’t succeed. No need to hate the club over it though

If Sam Power is incompetent as many assert, using the same criteria, so is Graham Wright for failing to land Shiel and Lynch as their first two priorities. Carlton also failed to land Shiel, and Pies likewise with Lynch. All were reported as going hard after those targets. Looks like more list managers should be on the chopping block?

scarlet-ohara.jpg

I wonder if the club found out a bit more about Chad's training and other habits and watered down their negotiating. I can't imagine Bevo being too happy having to deal with another loose cannon with a big ego. There's also the effect on the team dynamic of someone with such a high profile, and being paid megabucks, landing among the kids and expecting preferential treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back