Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western Bulldogs have already made inquiries about the potential availability of Gold Coast young gun Ben King as they join a long list of Victorian clubs hoping to lure him home to Victoria.
Sam Landsberger, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
October 11, 2019 6:55pm

Day five trade moves

Western Bulldogs want Ben King with the Gold Coast young gun already high on the club’s list of targets for next year’s trade period.
St Kilda football boss Simon Lethlean put King’s future on the agenda this week when he declared the Saints wanted to reunite the 202cm swingman with his twin brother, Max, at Moorabbin.
“Ben is playing at Gold Coast next year, and if he doesn’t sign and looks to move next year we’ll talk to him,” Lethlean said.

But the Herald Sun can reveal that the Dogs’ interest goes back several months and is well-known to the King camp.
Suns list manager Craig Cameron on Friday confirmed he had tabled a contract extension to King, which remained unsigned.
But Cameron said he was “confident” King would recommit and sources close to the Haileybury product agreed that he was a good chance to stay put.
Stream over 50 sports Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >
Ben King takes a diving mark.
However, should King decide to join the Suns exodus then it is no fait accompli that he would choose the Saints.
King’s versatility — he has starred at both ends of the ground in junior football — is well-suited to coach Luke Beveridge and the Dogs are armed with plenty of salary cap space.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet-icon.svg

NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL... Best of the U.S. all on Foxtel Find out more
While it would be a romantic football story for the King brothers to play together, some have privately questioned whether that would be the best fit for the boys.
Max is likely to make his AFL debut in Round 1 next season as a full-forward and if Ben also wants to make his name as a goalkicker there mightn’t be room in the same attack.
Ben’s Rising Star nomination came after he drilled four goals against Essendon late in the season, while he kicked multiple goals in four other games.
King toured Whitten Oval just days before last November’s draft and told the Herald Sun he wanted to become a Bulldog so he could stay at home.
Ben King celebrates a goal during his debut season. Picture: Getty
“I’d prefer to stay with my family in Melbourne and get to the Western Bulldogs (pick 7), but I’m really just keen to play some AFL footy and wherever I fall, that’s life,” he said.
While the Dogs were thrilled to get ready-made midfielder Bailey Smith at No.7, they had King slightly ahead on their talent board.
Smith is proving to be a fine pick — he played all 23 games and finished fourth in the Rising Star — but if Gold Coast didn’t pounce at No.6, King would’ve been a Bulldog.
MORE NEWS:
Buckenara: Why Dogs are top four certainties
Why the Blues, Suns need a Martin back-up plan
Club frustration builds over second trade period
The Dogs suspect they are one of several Victorian clubs to flag their interest in King, while their list build should be firmly on track by Wednesday night’s trade deadline.
The club did not budget for the departures of Tom Boyd (retired) and Marcus Adams (Brisbane Lions) although they are set to fill those holes with Josh Bruce (St Kilda) and Alex Keath (Adelaide).
The Dogs envisage Bruce playing as the deepest forward next season with Aaron Naughton at centre half-forward and Josh Schache pushing up to the wings.

I don’t see us being able to bring King in unless we miss out on Ugle-Hagan, Stevens, McPherson etc. Either that or we lose someone with significant trade value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Western Bulldogs have already made inquiries about the potential availability of Gold Coast young gun Ben King as they join a long list of Victorian clubs hoping to lure him home to Victoria.
Sam Landsberger, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
October 11, 2019 6:55pm

Day five trade moves

Western Bulldogs want Ben King with the Gold Coast young gun already high on the club’s list of targets for next year’s trade period.
St Kilda football boss Simon Lethlean put King’s future on the agenda this week when he declared the Saints wanted to reunite the 202cm swingman with his twin brother, Max, at Moorabbin.
“Ben is playing at Gold Coast next year, and if he doesn’t sign and looks to move next year we’ll talk to him,” Lethlean said.

But the Herald Sun can reveal that the Dogs’ interest goes back several months and is well-known to the King camp.
Suns list manager Craig Cameron on Friday confirmed he had tabled a contract extension to King, which remained unsigned.
But Cameron said he was “confident” King would recommit and sources close to the Haileybury product agreed that he was a good chance to stay put.
Stream over 50 sports Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >
However, should King decide to join the Suns exodus then it is no fait accompli that he would choose the Saints.
King’s versatility — he has starred at both ends of the ground in junior football — is well-suited to coach Luke Beveridge and the Dogs are armed with plenty of salary cap space.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet-icon.svg

NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL... Best of the U.S. all on Foxtel Find out more
While it would be a romantic football story for the King brothers to play together, some have privately questioned whether that would be the best fit for the boys.
Max is likely to make his AFL debut in Round 1 next season as a full-forward and if Ben also wants to make his name as a goalkicker there mightn’t be room in the same attack.
Ben’s Rising Star nomination came after he drilled four goals against Essendon late in the season, while he kicked multiple goals in four other games.
King toured Whitten Oval just days before last November’s draft and told the Herald Sun he wanted to become a Bulldog so he could stay at home.
“I’d prefer to stay with my family in Melbourne and get to the Western Bulldogs (pick 7), but I’m really just keen to play some AFL footy and wherever I fall, that’s life,” he said.
While the Dogs were thrilled to get ready-made midfielder Bailey Smith at No.7, they had King slightly ahead on their talent board.
Smith is proving to be a fine pick — he played all 23 games and finished fourth in the Rising Star — but if Gold Coast didn’t pounce at No.6, King would’ve been a Bulldog.
MORE NEWS:
Buckenara: Why Dogs are top four certainties
Why the Blues, Suns need a Martin back-up plan
Club frustration builds over second trade period
The Dogs suspect they are one of several Victorian clubs to flag their interest in King, while their list build should be firmly on track by Wednesday night’s trade deadline.
The club did not budget for the departures of Tom Boyd (retired) and Marcus Adams (Brisbane Lions) although they are set to fill those holes with Josh Bruce (St Kilda) and Alex Keath (Adelaide).
The Dogs envisage Bruce playing as the deepest forward next season with Aaron Naughton at centre half-forward and Josh Schache pushing up to the wings.
Can someone post the Buckenara article as well?

Maybe I'm a cynic, but surely it's no coincidence that Lansberger strategically drops the Ben King story on the Friday evening of the trade period

Maybe the realisation that there is plenty of competition for King, tips Saints slightly towards using their 2020 1st to get Hill, allowing other trades, including Bruce, to flow.

Or maybe this week of inaction is leading to too much supposition and theorising...

And can go in points deficit.
Don't even, we've already been through this for next years draft.. Haha.

I'm a little suss at the timing tbh. Call me cynical but given its from our guy Sam, are we using this to publicly put pressure on the Saints for the Bruce deal? If they don't do it, we have cap space and trade resources to go after their holy grail, but if Bruce deal gets done, it eats into those, particularly the cap space part.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but surely it's no coincidence that Lansberger strategically drops the Ben King story on the Friday evening of the trade period

Maybe the realisation that there is plenty of competition for King, tips Saints slightly towards using their 2020 1st to get Hill, allowing other trades, including Bruce, to flow.

Or maybe this week of inaction is leading to too much supposition and theorising...
The later I think

Never know

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Don't even, we've already been through this for next years draft.. Haha.

I'm a little suss at the timing tbh. Call me cynical but given its from our guy Sam, are we using this to publicly put pressure on the Saints for the Bruce deal? If they don't do it, we have cap space and trade resources to go after their holy grail, but if Bruce deal gets done, it eats into those, particularly the cap space part.
They can keep bruce

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back