Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m coming round to it. Love him forward but with Marra looking like he belongs I’m now in the fence about where to play English for team balance. I really didn’t think English had it in him to be a viable full time number 1 ruck but he’s been solid.

The thing with English in the ruck is, he can work forward and back and be a real asset around the the ground. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No chance. I don’t think Hannan should in the team (I’d be replacing him with another quicker pressure type), but Fergus would not push him out. He’s a medium sized leading flanker who isn’t a great pressure player. He would be completely redundant with us playing 3 KPF.

I do agree that he should get another shot and the Hawks are probably his best bet.

The point I was trying to make was if you are prepared to play Hannan I would play Greene instead.
Your description of Greene is what Hannan is.

Should just target anybody from Gold Coast's list that would make ours better. Looking like there may be yet another exodus

i would put the feelers out for big boy for a year but our list is so strong we have very few needs apart for ruck/KPD which Mcevoy solves. Garcia, Weightman and Vdm address the small forward problem. The talent on our list is insane. I have never seen a list with so much talent and depth in my life. If we cannot win multiple flags over the next 5 years will be a lost opportunity. Can’t believe we have Darcy next year and JUH looks very special.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i would put the feelers out for big boy for a year but our list is so strong we have very few needs apart for ruck/KPD which Mcevoy solves. Garcia, Weightman and Vdm address the small forward problem. The talent on our list is insane. I have never seen a list with so much talent and depth in my life. If we cannot win multiple flags over the next 5 years will be a lost opportunity. Can’t believe we have Darcy next year and JUH looks very special.
Flags are hard to win. Just one flag with this group would be a fantastic result, and do a lot to address the issue of our club being historically unsuccessful. Very few holes in this list right now.

Short term, I'd try grab a decent ruck if possible, and a good KPD (one of Schache/Gardner being depth).

Long term, I'd look for a defender who can handle the smalls. Duryea and Wood are the only ones I'd trust on the Greene/Cameron types, and neither will be around much longer.

Long term, I'd look for a defender who can handle the smalls. Duryea and Wood are the only ones I'd trust on the Greene/Cameron types, and neither will be around much longer.
Agree. I hope Ewan McPherson will develop that way in time but another Duryea would be amazing

All praise Sammy P for the list, and the board for keeping our coffers in the black.

I’m coming round to it. Love him forward but with Marra looking like he belongs I’m now in the fence about where to play English for team balance. I really didn’t think English had it in him to be a viable full time number 1 ruck but he’s been solid.

Interesting that in the last quarter we had Hannan in the ruck and English starting in defence. Took a couple of good marks too. I have a feeling Bevo is thinking of ways to keep all of Naughts/Bruce/JUH/English in if Martin comes back.

Interesting that in the last quarter we had Hannan in the ruck and English starting in defence. Took a couple of good marks too. I have a feeling Bevo is thinking of ways to keep all of Naughts/Bruce/JUH/English in if Martin comes back.

Hannan wasn’t actually that bad in the ruck. Much better than Dunkley.

With Darcy coming in, I can see a model where English and Darcy rotate between forward, ruck and defense depending on matchups and injuries. We'll need Martin or Sweet next year but after that, I can't see Bevo playing a traditional #1 ruck when he has English and Darcy to deploy wherever he wants. The mad professors head might explode with the amount of options he has with this list.
Darcy will be an asset long term, but you can't plan short-term strategy around a skinny 18-year-old, because they're virtually a non-factor even if they get games (which Darcy may not), and if they do, for on-field purposes they're a fringe player that you don't structure around.

People were saying the same thing 12 months ago about how our forward line would look given we were getting JUH, who was a better draft prospect and more physically ready than Darcy is likely to be, and yet obviously JUH took most of the season to get into the team. Same logic applies to Darcy here, who is probably not even going to go in the draft's top 3.

Our problem this season will be more about holding who we have.

Lipinski, West, Young and Richards probably the most at risk and then will probably have raid from Essendon of someone who we don't expect to try and get them to break their contract.

We can expect someone like JJ to be chased again in a Higgins like superannuation move

Is Richards still uncontracted? If so he will likely attract a lot of attention and is probably the best 22 most likely to be targeted. Collingwood will be all over him.

Wallis is a UFA and has to be we lose him for nothing.

Next year - Wood has another year - he will be 32. Duryea 31 both will be fine ages wise.

Does Martin have another year - he will be 35 so we are kidding ourselves that he will be able to play much of the season.

I hope LJ can come back - fit he would be a real asset but at 28 - he would have to be odds on to call it quits. If not will be a hard call for list management - logically he would have little chance but if we look after him - who knows we might get a few years out of him.

Not sure how many we need to take off our list - I recall we used to have to take three off our list but also remember there were list reductions so not don't know. In any event the last month will be - as every year make or break but this year we could lost a player good enough to play but just won't fit.

Right now we probably delist Martin, Lj and probably Hayes (who would be unlucky and a good back up for Hunter as a gut runner) or Cavarro who has probably deserved to play more but is now behind McNeil.

Our problem this season will be more about holding who we have.

Lipinski, West, Young and Richards probably the most at risk and then will probably have raid from Essendon of someone who we don't expect to try and get them to break their contract.
Richards plays every game he's available, rated by the club.
Lippi is gone, not sure West has any suiters, Young who knows. I think Young is useful ruck depth but will never be best 22 for us.

The good thing is none of West, Wallis, Lipinski, Young are defining our next 5 years. Think Richmond letting go a majority of their depth over their mini dynasty.

Richards plays every game he's available, rated by the club.
Lippi is gone, not sure West has any suiters, Young who knows. I think Young is useful ruck depth but will never be best 22 for us.

Agree and hope we keep him. Point is if you were an opposition list manager who would you target from the Bullsogs? Would want them to be best 22 and what to can offer them is considerably higher than we could afford to pay. Richards is certainly worth the risk that his upside will see him worth paying big overs. Not sure that others fit that bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back