Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
More than happy to keep Lippi on the list I think he’ll have a decent enough career somewhere whether it’s with us or not but if he wants to go I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

I don’t want to lose West though, I think he is a huge talent, yes he’s got some things to work on but he’ll get there. His hands, vision and attack on the footy will be elite. Plus a nice burst of speed that he has over most other inside players. I think he’ll be a seriously good player in time, Libba and Treloar won’t be around forever, although I don’t think West will wait that long either so it’ll be an interesting one to balance. I think he’ll be good enough for AFL from next year but the blokes a midfielder and needs to play majority of time in the midfield which is hard for us to give. He’s the one on our list I can see us regretting big time if he moves on
Thats what I've been thinking for a while about West. 100% agree.

Would be on minimum chips, has proven he belongs at the level and in the days of the medical sub his versatility is crucial.

I was critical of the 2 years for Gardner on the basis that I don't think any other club would have been offering him that deal and so it should not have been required to keep him.

On Scott however I'd be surprised if there weren't other clubs happy to offer him multiple years, including Essendon who tried to get him at the start of the year, and so I think 2 years makes sense even if he is only depth for most of 2022 and 2023.

Congrats Big Tone!!

One thing I’ve noticed lately in games is that Scott seems like a pretty switched on player.
He is regularly on his bike quicker than others on a turnover. He positions up quickly at stoppages suggesting his awareness is good and he’s often in a good position in a link up chain.
His reflexes/instincts aren’t great and composure could do with some work, but I can see what the coaches are happy with. When you’re a system based team, players that follow instructions and do what they’re told are worth their weight.

If he keeps improving, he’ll just add to an already growing list of talented footballers.

Happy for him!!

unless we are going to lose younger players like Ed, Lipi, West and Co I am confused from a list management perspective why give a 26 year old depth player a 2 year deal . I would prefer to use the list spot on a speculative KPD. I don’t see any upside with him at his age.

unless we are going to lose younger players like Ed, Lipi, West and Co I am confused from a list management perspective why give a 26 year old depth player a 2 year deal . I would prefer to use the list spot on a speculative KPD. I don’t see any upside with him at his age.
He doesn't need upside when he's been a lock in the teams 22 all year. He will probably end up in Duryeas role once he drops off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me too, he has some Toby Greene attributes. He should daefinetyl look elsewhere. I think we will regret Losing West and Lipi when they become good players elsewhere. At least we will have ROarke, Will, Anthony, Ryan and co as 200 game best 22 players
I just don't see a world where West or Lipinski leave and we end up regretting it. Yes they might carve out a good career but as it stands they aren't in our best 22 even when it is ravaged by injury. I'm happy for them to stay as depth on cheap deals but losing them will not derail what we are building.

There’s a lot to learn about players like Scott getting chances at the top level.

Adding Hayes, Gardiner and Gowers you can see what the club is trying to achieve across all its teams.
Any youngster unlucky enough to miss out on getting drafted will decide he wants to play where he has the best chance of getting a look in.
Right now, surely that has to be Footscray VFL?

Smart move by the club imo. Create a destination club at both levels.

There is a reason speculative KPD are available, they don't tend to be much good. Yes we need key position defensive players but where we are currently at dictates that this is addressed via trade.

There’s a lot to learn about players like Scott getting chances at the top level.

Adding Hayes, Gardiner and Gowers you can see what the club is trying to achieve across all its teams.
Any youngster unlucky enough to miss out on getting drafted will decide he wants to play where he has the best chance of getting a look in.
Right now, surely that has to be Footscray VFL?

Smart move by the club imo. Create a destination club at both levels.
I’ve said a number of times I suspect we will draft a Footscray player every year.

He doesn't need upside when he's been a lock in the teams 22 all year. He will probably end up in Duryeas role once he drops off
Ed, Dale, Williams, CD, 2 KPD and a midsize interceptor who I would go with when Duryea finishes up. He is depth and has only played a few good games one being against the powerhouse crows. Yes is a role player but not best 22. However Bevo has the same fondness for him as he had with Billy, Honeychurch, Roarke and co so will always get some games.

Scotts earned it. Coming in as a rookie pick and playing nearly the whole season as a versatile role player on peanuts - deserves the 2 years
Need players like him on the list. Keeps the salary cap in check and does a role. I was all for trading Roake Smith a year or so ago but you just can’t have 22 A graders on a list. It’s a balance and handy fringe 22 / depth like Scott, Smith, McNeil, etc, help build a deep list.

I just don't see a world where West or Lipinski leave and we end up regretting it. Yes they might carve out a good career but as it stands they aren't in our best 22 even when it is ravaged by injury. I'm happy for them to stay as depth on cheap deals but losing them will not derail what we are building.
Won't derail us, but may cost us a key long term player who's ready to step in to the mix and be a great long term player.

I'm not too concerned about Lipinski - I think he'll go to a team where he'll get more opportunities and become a good, solid 150 gamer, but IMO he will always struggle with the intensity and hardness of finals, so I don't think we lose much.

But West is another story - I think he'll be built for finals once he pieces everything together, and it'll be at about the time that Libba may start tapering off.

Yes, he's made a slow start and made mistakes, but there's a similar example of a father son at a team with a great midfield with a lot of depth, who despite showing great signs sparingly, made mistakes and didn't set the world on fire when given his chances, and only managed 13 games in his first four years in the system.

He got a great offer, traded for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. 10 years on, Hawthorn still regrets trading him, even with their 3 premierships while he was killing it for Sydney. His name is Josh Kennedy.

Won't derail us, but may cost us a key long term player who's ready to step in to the mix and be a great long term player.

I'm not too concerned about Lipinski - I think he'll go to a team where he'll get more opportunities and become a good, solid 150 gamer, but IMO he will always struggle with the intensity and hardness of finals, so I don't think we lose much.

But West is another story - I think he'll be built for finals once he pieces everything together, and it'll be at about the time that Libba may start tapering off.

Yes, he's made a slow start and made mistakes, but there's a similar example of a father son at a team with a great midfield with a lot of depth, who despite showing great signs sparingly, made mistakes and didn't set the world on fire when given his chances, and only managed 13 games in his first four years in the system.

He got a great offer, traded for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. 10 years on, Hawthorn still regrets trading him, even with their 3 premierships while he was killing it for Sydney. His name is Josh Kennedy.
I can’t build the bridge that suggests West can take over or play anything like the role Libba does. His only chance of breaking into the team is as a pressure forward, if he can’t do that I don’t see a future for him.

Agree. Do not trade West. He will put it together and be part of the junkyard dogs (members include VDM, Garcia and west). Short in stature but tough machines built for finals intensity. Lipinski however will probably look elsewhere. Would be a good player in another team but will struggle to crack into our midfield for at least another 2 years and he won’t want to play vfl for that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back