Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't set a price and then ask for more later, so I think you're right. Let Sammy do his thing. He seems to really know his stuff.
Don't feel like a 2nd Rnder is over the top for Lippa he likely plays every week next year. With the PSD threat may end up with a 3rd which would be unders for a fully developed ready to go player, in Sam we trust

Power knows what he’s doing, he’s proven that a few times.

If he sets his price at the second rounder, then he has room to move when we hopefully accept the Pies future third instead. I think most of us would be pretty comfortable with that.
I would be surprised if we couldn’t flip a 2022
Pies 3rd rounder in a 2021 2nd rounder (for Darcy points) given expectations for Pies finishing quite low next year.

Also, given the limited junior football this year there’s a real chance that many picks have people shaking their heads in a few years time and so there is value in trading out of that confusion and into the more well informed 2022 draft.

Full faith that Power and co will make the right calls. Lipinski, Young (possibly), Sweet (possibly) wanting out is nothing compared to this time last year. Also I wish Lipinski all the best but the common theme is Collingwood is getting an absolute jet with untapped potential. Lipinski is a solid AFL level player who should play 100 games for Collingwood but I just don't see the additional upside.

H
Sammy's job in this case is made a little harder by the fact that Lip is out of contract
Hopefully Sam could sell it too Lynch too come to a contender with the No 1 Ruck spot open would potentially be a huge career move for him.
Then it's a win win trade for both clubs Pies get a mid and we maybe fill our ruck for the long-term

Full faith that Power and co will make the right calls. Lipinski, Young (possibly), Sweet (possibly) wanting out is nothing compared to this time last year. Also I wish Lipinski all the best but the common theme is Collingwood is getting an absolute jet with untapped potential. Lipinski is a solid AFL level player who should play 100 games for Collingwood but I just don't see the additional upside.
If the club rated Sweet and Young they’d have played them so it’s not much of a concern to me. The only issue is the loss of depth, but that can be addressed via mature recruits from lower leagues if need be.

With so many players to re-sign this year, losing a few depth players who get more than the minimum will make things easier.

At least with English, Naughton, JUH and Darcy we've actually/theoretically been adding a quality tall every year, which is tough to do. That being said, I think we probably all agree we need to rebalance the list this year and replace some of the exiting smalls with extra talls between 18-24. Particularly if either or both of Young and Sweet don't return.

2nd rounder for Lipinski is straying into dodo territory
He's 22, played 55 games in 4 years in a team were there is strong competition for his type and has a 3 year offer from multiple clubs.

To my thinking that equates to a high 30s/40ish pick, which is late 2nd/early 3rd range. Asking for a 2nd round pick as an opening gambit seems perfectly reasonable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s all the excitement over Max Lynch. Replaces Sweet who is 5cm taller, same weight and age? Must admit I haven’t seen much of Lynch but raw stats don’t get me excited and Sweet ahead in hits to advantage. Pressure acts well above. View attachment 1250276
Their respective games against Max Gawn and that would provide some indication. Raw stats don't tell the whole story, especially considering Sweet's game against Gold Coast was against no recognised ruckman.
Lynch is 'short' for a ruckman but is in the top 5 for Collingwood's time trial which is incredible for a guy his size, so he can cover the ground which is an important consideration for us (or gameplan).

He's 22, played 55 games in 4 years in a team were there is strong competition for his type and has a 3 year offer from multiple clubs.

To my thinking that equates to a high 30s/40ish pick, which is late 2nd/early 3rd range. Asking for a 2nd round pick as an opening gambit seems perfectly reasonable.
It’s frustrating that clubs use the ‘he wasn’t in your best 22 argument’. We were a bloody good team this year. It’s not like he wasn’t getting a game at a struggling club.

He’d easily walk into the best 22 of half the clubs in the league.

Am I completely re-writing history if I say that I don't think Max Gawn really got a hold of us in any of the 3 games we played against him this year?

What’s all the excitement over Max Lynch. Replaces Sweet who is 5cm taller, same weight and age? Must admit I haven’t seen much of Lynch but raw stats don’t get me excited and Sweet ahead in hits to advantage. Pressure acts well above. View attachment 1250276
Their respective games against Max Gawn and that would provide some indication. Raw stats don't tell the whole story, especially considering Sweet's game against Gold Coast was against no recognised ruckman.
Lynch is 'short' for a ruckman but is in the top 5 for Collingwood's time trial which is incredible for a guy his size, so he can cover the ground which is an important consideration for us (or gameplan).
thought Sweet did ok for 3 quarters V Gawn. He has a bit of mongrel also. Not sure I’m excited yet although the mobility is handy and he was almost above average for getting the hit out which stops opponent directing it. Wonder if he has ability to hit it where he wants at that height

Last edited:
Am I completely re-writing history if I say that I don't think Max Gawn really got a hold of us in any of the 3 games we played against him this year?
No I think that's fair. My memory is that the game at Marvel was his best game. In saying that, Max Gawn doing what he did allowed for a fresh Luke Jackson to enter the ruck and absolutely dominate us in the Grand Final so that needs to be factored in.

Sam Skinner makes so much sense for us.

Intercepting defender that we need. Should have been given a second chance.

Sam Skinner makes so much sense for us.

Intercepting defender that we need. Should have been given a second chance.

I'd be keen if he passes a medical and his lateral movement is fine, that's a problem for people that suffer multiple knee injuries.

Think it is a sign that we are maturing as a club that we just dont walk players out the door for nothing
I'd be keen if he passes a medical and his lateral movement is fine, that's a problem for people that suffer multiple knee injuries.
North poster was saying that his lateral movement is almost totally gone. Can't see him making at AFL level if that is the case

A mid-late second round pick is fair value for Lipinski. Pies future second is also a possibility. It’s not a second and a third, it’s not a first and it’s also not 2x third rounders.

Fair price.

Now, I am wondering IF one of the Rucks who are looking to move announce us as their preferred destination today. We would have to be first choice of all the available opportunities.

A mid-late second round pick is fair value for Lipinski. Pies future second is also a possibility. It’s not a second and a third, it’s not a first and it’s also not 2x third rounders.

Fair price.

Now, I am wondering IF one of the Rucks who are looking to move announce us as their preferred destination today. We would have to be first choice of all the available opportunities.
All quiet on the western front

IF ...
Peter Ladhams is still a Port player at the end of the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period ...

THEN ...
I'll be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back