Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t blame Zaine. I’d rather play at Trevor Barker Oval than on Skinner Reserve.
As someone who lives a 5min walk from Skinner Reserve

Nothing better than getting some fish and chips from across the road and watch training

I could point to literally any match day thread of last season where Zaine played and could find two dozen posts complaining about why his still in the team, well, his not now, no idea why people are looking at this like the end of the world.

Thank you very much Zaine, gave it your all, but frankly I’d be worried if he was still regualry getting games next season, we can and should strive for better.

Always a Bullgod, but, times change.
Noone wants him in the starting 22, but we are currently an injury to keef and Gardner away from having Tim o brien play on Tom Hawkins.

This is going to get UGLY

Rory Lobb’s manager hits out as Freo dig in​

Fremantle are showing no signs of letting up on blocking Rory Lobb’s desired move to the Western Bulldogs - and the footballer has similarly dug his heels in.
Lobb, under contract with the Dockers for 2023, was so intent on switching clubs this year he bought a house in South Yarra that settled for $1.85m in August.
His manager Colin Young told 7NEWS Melbourne’s Tom Browne on Tuesday the plans stemmed from firm comments after last year’s trade period, with more recent public remarks by Freo now raising eyebrows.
“He’s obviously frustrated and disappointed that the discussions have been made through the media about where he sits at Freo, when he thought there probably would be a trade happening this year after discussions after trade period last year,” Young said.
“That’s probably why he bought the house, thinking that a trade would happen.”

Colon Young is disappointed stuff is in the media? Colin…Young?

Road Rage Jam GIF by JamCycling

Funny thing is Zaine is not a walk up start into the Saints best 22. Wilkie, Howard and Battle will hold down the 3 KPD spots and you don't really want Zaine playing on a small forward. I guess all it takes is an injury or two to get an extended run at it ala Lewis Young at Carlton this past year.
3 year contracts on undisclosed terms are better than 2 year contracts on undisclosed terms.

Im not surprised that Zaine leaped at a change of clubs. It gives him a chance to extend his career after clearly seeing the writing on the wall at the dogs. It was in his best interests to make a fresh start with the chance of establishing himself in a new team, as opposed to slogging it out under a regime that has (correctly) pegged him as a fringe tall of limited means. In the end it doesn't really matter that he'll land in the same boat of being a fringe player in another team. The important thing is he is guaranteed another year on a list.

Nothing better than getting some fish and chips from across the road and watch training
Hi Vital

I grew up on Churchill Avenue, directly opposite Skinners Reserve in the 70’s and 80’s, is that fish and chip shop still going😊👍

Funny thing is Zaine is not a walk up start into the Saints best 22. Wilkie, Howard and Battle will hold down the 3 KPD spots and you don't really want Zaine playing on a small forward. I guess all it takes is an injury or two to get an extended run at it ala Lewis Young at Carlton this past year.

It’s interesting to see other clubs strategies on list management though. Carlton have good defensive depth and still get talked about looking at KPD’s. Freo have very good small forward depth, now linked with Tippa. Saints already had more defensive options than us, now they have Cordy and you also missed Highmore from the list too.

Meanwhile we are stretching with 3 genuine tall defenders and zero genuine small forwards, but a surplus of half backs and mids

I’m not sure the saints moneyball strategy is going to lead them to the promised land. They’d be better off bottoming out and starting again . I’ll give you London to a brick that Zaine will finish his career with one premiership medallion .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Vital

I grew up on Churchill Avenue, directly opposite Skinners Reserve in the 70’s and 80’s, is that fish and chip shop still going😊👍
still going strong
They got brand new owners a month ago and my gawwddy
the chips are on point

I’m not sure the saints moneyball strategy is going to lead them to the promised land. They’d be better off bottoming out and starting again . I’ll give you London to a brick that Zaine will finish his career with one premiership medallion .
Betting St Kikda won’t win a flag ain’t Nostradamus level stuff!!😎

Some clubs are happy beneficiaries of very good deals so far.:-
  • Melbourne will pick up one of the best rucks of the decade (Grundy) for Pick 27.
  • Carlton get a good, walk-in wingman (Acres) for a future 3rd - a Pick around 50.
  • Collingwood get a key position player that can play multiple roles (McStay) for nothing (free agent).
  • Collingwood get a former Pick 24 small forward with plenty of potential (Hill) for Pick 40.
  • Hawthorn get a 1st class wingman (Amon) for nothing (free agent).
  • WC get a utility type who played 20 games this season (Hunt) for a top team for nothing (free agent).
In other trades:
Richmond has certainly paid at least market value for Taranto: Picks 12 and 19
North has paid about market value for Logue and Tucker: future 2nd, future 3rd and future 4th

I'm not taking into consideration the contracts involved in the above, just the deals as they look on paper.

Played a few games on Skinners FDL – big ground
I was at Skinners the day Geelong got up and beat us in a final
Cricket on the two grounds next door too
May have tried the fish and chips – long time ago though

Melbourne have done extremely well. And Collingwood have done extremely badly . Grundy at his best will be a top 3 ruck for many years & although he’s not as multi positional as Gawn , He’s a ready made replacement.

Melbourne have done extremely well. And Collingwood have done extremely badly . Grundy at his best will be a top 3 ruck for many years & although he’s not as multi positional as Gawn , He’s a ready made replacement.
Gawn isn't multi-positional though, He is a woeful set shot and has very little forward craft. Personally I can not see this working at all

Cal Twomey saying the Giants would be open to conversations on Lachie Whitfield and Nick Haynes. He's probably on huge money, but I would love Whitfield on a wing for us, would be a huge get. Maybe can give back better draft capital for GWS to pay a little of the salary if it's too rich for us, but should have some cap space with Dunks going...

Cal Twomey saying the Giants would be open to conversations on Lachie Whitfield and Nick Haynes. He's probably on huge money, but I would love Whitfield on a wing for us, would be a huge get. Maybe can give back better draft capital for GWS to pay a little of the salary if it's too rich for us, but should have some cap space with Dunks going...
Depends what we have to give up for him and how much they're chipping in

I find Whitfield overrated.

Haynes, a yes.

I just can’t buy that Zaine never took the next step because of a lack of culture or professionalism at the club. Making the grand final from 5th after a horror finish to the year in 2021 is not an an indictment on our culture.

What is the actual concrete evidence that our club is a complete mess culture wise? Dunkley’s behind the scenes pot shots? Baz doing drugs? Lachie Hunter partying more than a member of Motley Crüe? None of this is enough to condemn the club as cooked.
There was an article recently which released limited information On a player survey on culture. It stated the clubs with the strongest culture and we were middle of the road. The other finalist in 2021 rated above us. We made the GF despite our average culture.

Go have a sook about Colin young over on your own board

Seems we're just a bystander caught in the crossfire of a bust up between a club and an agent that represents a third of their list and that they're annoyed at for facilitating one of their players unexpectedly moving on a godfather deal.

The "since Logue is going we can't trade Lobb" stuff was a bit odd in how aggressive it was. I doubt they come out remotely that strong if Lobb and Logue have different agents. Will look a bit embarrassing if they end up trading him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back