Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people so upset that Dunkley is acting like a mercenary? He's a professional footballer. What else should we expect?

Very few players become rusted on devotees of the club like Bob or Bont or Ellie have done. We should be eternally grateful for those few that do but that's not the norm.

In different circumstances players know the club will tell them their services are no longer required (Stringer, Hunter) or that they aren't good enough (Butler, Greene) or that we'll keep them but not for the price they want (Ward, Cordy). So why should we expect any more loyalty than the club is showing their playing footballers? It's a professional relationship.

It's the fans who have the emotional attachments.

Furthermore there's a chasm between our expectations of how Dunkley should behave and how fringe players like Cordy or Schache should behave. Nobody seems terribly concerned that Cordy has signed for a slightly better deal at St Kilda. Isn't that all Dunkley is trying to do? He just happens to be an A-grader while Cordy is a C-grader.

I'm no great fan of Dunkley the person (I admire Dunkley the footballer) but I think some of the commentary against him here is OTT.
I didn't think anything could be worse than a gameday thread but this thread might be topping it.

Just absolute seething rage over something that really doesn't matter very much. People here declaring absolute hatred for Dunkley and the entire Brisbane lions football club. The level of immaturity, bias and misplaced anger is off the scale.

The trade will probably get done - we'll get unders as almost all clubs do when a player wants out. We'll try to make the most of it and have another go at the flag next year with some new players. There's gotta be a way to enjoy the drama without the level of stress displayed in this thread.

The trade will probably get done - we'll get unders as almost all clubs do when a player wants out.

This is demonstrably not true. GWS were fairly compensated for Taranto. Melbourne will be fairly compensated for Jackson. Geelong were fairly compensated for taking Bowes (hehe). The list goes on. The reason we are all seething is because it seems inevitable that we are the big losers of trade week this year.

Why are people so upset that Dunkley is acting like a mercenary? He's a professional footballer. What else should we expect?

Very few players become rusted on devotees of the club like Bob or Bont or Ellie have done. We should be eternally grateful for those few that do but that's not the norm.

In different circumstances players know the club will tell them their services are no longer required (Stringer, Hunter) or that they aren't good enough (Butler, Greene) or that we'll keep them but not for the price they want (Ward, Cordy). So why should we expect any more loyalty than the club is showing their playing footballers? It's a professional relationship.

It's the fans who have the emotional attachments.

Furthermore there's a chasm between our expectations of how Dunkley should behave and how fringe players like Cordy or Schache should behave. Nobody seems terribly concerned that Cordy has signed for a slightly better deal at St Kilda. Isn't that all Dunkley is trying to do? He just happens to be an A-grader while Cordy is a C-grader.

I'm no great fan of Dunkley the person (I admire Dunkley the footballer) but I think some of the commentary against him here is OTT.

I just do not get why he was desperate to get out it, would have been a terrible move for him he got to the bombers. He comes back obviously has a great relationship with ADZ and seemingly the coach and wants out for a few more $ after winning a flag and playing a GF in his seven years with us. I am surprised by any dogs supporter who thinks he has done the right thing by the dogs. History will tell if he has done right thing for himself.

I think there's a bit of hypocrisy in this board.

If we were in Brisbane's shoes everyone would be lauding power for his savvy dealing.

They've actually done remarkably well to be in a position we're they might be able to use 21 and a future second to trade back into the first round. They've basically generated points for almost nothing.

It's frustrating that the deal can't be more straightforward and that Brisbane don't want to give up players and have to bank points for father sons but we'd probably do the same if we were in their shoes.

I might change my tune if they keep playing hard ball once they've got the father son points sorted but I think people are over reacting at this stage

I just do not get why he was desperate to get out it, would have been a terrible move for him he got to the bombers. He comes back obviously has a great relationship with ADZ and seemingly the coach and wants out for a few more $ after winning a flag and playing a GF in his seven years with us. I am surprised by any dogs supporter who thinks he has done the right thing by the dogs. History will tell if he has done right thing for himself.
Neale, McCluggage playing inside, Ashcroft coming on board, Rayner getting another post-ACL pre-season under his belt.

If Dunkley thinks he's going to get more midfield time at the Lions I suspect he's in for a bit of a shock.

Just a guess, but maybe he thinks $100k a year before tax (and Pickering's cut) is the be all and end all.

I also find the reasoning from him not legitimate; he says he wants to move there for family. His family is down here, his GF is in Adelaide, the only person in Brisbane is his sister...

There has also been reports of "Cultural" issues, which look at the last few years, Hunter had the drink driving incident and had mental health issues (which I think he and his partner have had some personal issues), Baz had the drugs incident and Cordy as Mad Monday. If there were cultural issues, there would be multiple players asking to leave, so that doesn't make sense.

I think the part most fans are hurt by is his lies

I also find the reasoning from him not legitimate; he says he wants to move there for family. His family is down here, his GF is in Adelaide, the only person in Brisbane is his sister...

There has also been reports of "Cultural" issues, which look at the last few years, Hunter had the drink driving incident and had mental health issues (which I think he and his partner have had some personal issues), Baz had the drugs incident and Cordy as Mad Monday. If there were cultural issues, there would be multiple players asking to leave, so that doesn't make sense.
Hunter didn't attend our B&F...

Im fine with Dunks leaving for cash, and Im fine for Brisbane to try to screw us for as little as they can, but I also think that rather than accept scraps, if thats what it comes to, we should let Dunks go to the PSD. We lose a couple of mediocre picks in the short term, but send a clear message for the future to both our players, their managers, and predatory clubs that if they choose these options, there are consequences unless good deals are offered.

Hunter didn't attend our B&F...
If your vice was alcohol and you've been asked to attend a venue where alcohol is not only served but your glass is refilled without you asking would you attend if you wanted to stop?

Maybe give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think I’m well and truly over this posturing bullshit. Just take the F1 and 21 for Dunks and get the Lobb trade done with a mid 20’s pick.

Geelong doesn’t * around, Hawthorn never *ed around, they just got players in that suited their needs and when players wanted to leave they got that done also.

We will probably get shafted for dunks. Oh well. It doesn’t make us a feeder club no matter how many of you try and leverage it to be that way. A feeder club to Fitzroy? C’mon man. Teams don’t always have to win trade week. We’re not Essendon. Cop the slight overs for Lobb and the slight unders for Dunks and move the * on.

Back our recruiters/Power to turn the F1 into someone like Callaghan next year and the 21 this year into a good young KPD then turn our pick 30 into 26 with a shuffle and we’re done Lobb. It’s a win anyways.
If we trust Sam as I think most here do then we should let him do his job. He’ll know what other irons he has in the fire (if any) and what time frame he has to do it. If he feels he can squeeze Brisbane for more then let him have his fun I say….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If your vice was alcohol and you've been asked to attend a venue where alcohol is not only served but your glass is refilled without you asking would you attend if you wanted to stop?

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt if he wasn't out drinking with the Carlton boys a week earlier

I think if he struggled that much with alcohol, he should be in rehab tbh. And the club would be aware and not be serving him

I think I’m well and truly over this posturing bullshit. Just take the F1 and 21 for Dunks and get the Lobb trade done with a mid 20’s pick.

Geelong doesn’t * around, Hawthorn never *ed around, they just got players in that suited their needs and when players wanted to leave they got that done also.

We will probably get shafted for dunks. Oh well. It doesn’t make us a feeder club no matter how many of you try and leverage it to be that way. A feeder club to Fitzroy? C’mon man. Teams don’t always have to win trade week. We’re not Essendon. Cop the slight overs for Lobb and the slight unders for Dunks and move the * on.

Back our recruiters/Power to turn the F1 into someone like Callaghan next year and the 21 this year into a good young KPD then turn our pick 30 into 26 with a shuffle and we’re done Lobb. It’s a win anyways.
Come on mate, need to hold firm on these things. It will go down to the wire and if Brisbane want him they have to cough up, which they will at the last minute. Problem is they currently aren't even offering the abov
You have proof?
I live down Torquay and there has always been rumours, back from the Kostas days, stuff like they never need to pay for a car, discount land packages etc. Not sure if its true yet I personally don't believe players who have a short time to earn good money are supposedly taking so much less just to support the club.

I think if he struggled that much with alcohol, he should be in rehab tbh. And the club would be aware and not be serving him
He was off for several straight weeks during the year.
I think you don't quite understand addiction. The first thing taught at rehab is to remove yourself from a situation in which you might partake.

I think you don't quite understand addiction. The first thing taught at rehab is to remove yourself from a situation in which you might partake.
So he's an addict and has already been to rehab? News to me. And I'd be pretty grossly concerned with our club if they allowed an addict to be served at an event, it shouldn't really be a risk when it requires service from staff

Come on mate, need to hold firm on these things. It will go down to the wire and if Brisbane want him they have to cough up, which they will at the last minute. Problem is they currently aren't even offering the abov

I live down Torquay and there has always been rumours, back from the Kostas days, stuff like they never need to pay for a car, discount land packages etc. Not sure if its true yet I personally don't believe players who have a short time to earn good money are supposedly taking so much less just to support the club.

GFC 'elite' sponsors (as well as Ford)...

😉

Elite Partners
  • GMHBA.
  • Deakin University.
  • Cotton On.
  • Morris.
  • Viva Energy.
  • Simonds Homes.
  • Momentum Energy.

So he's an addict and has already been to rehab? News to me. And I'd be pretty grossly concerned with our club if they allowed an addict to be served at an event, it shouldn't really be a risk when it requires service from staff
I genuinely don't know. Just he would have had the opportunity then. I'm not like the several others on this board that act like they're part of Hunter's Whatsapp group chat.
What about after the event? What about the several bars in and around the area? Temptation is literally everywhere at Crown. Also have you been to a Best and Fairest? It wouldn't be hard to get a drink if you want it with the staff there.

I am just speculating here, but I dont think he was off this year for alcohol, I know his partner posts alot about IVF and not being able to fall pregnant, so I think it was related to that

I hope we trade a little less than 21 for Lobb but won't picket the WO if we use it. I'm not trading 21 for Lobb I'm trading 21 for;
  • The 2-3 years grace period it gives Darcy,
  • The support it gives Timmy making him a better player.
  • The support it gives Marra and Naughts
  • The 20 - 30 Goals he can offer, and,
  • The Flexibility it gives our forward line with the use of Darcy if we really want to stretch a defence or send a forward back.

I don't know a lot about this draft but I know the top 3 - 5 are really good and its pretty even past that up to 15 odd but who do people think we would be looking at with pick 21?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am just speculating here, but I dont think he was off this year for alcohol, I know his partner posts alot about IVF and not being able to fall pregnant, so I think it was related to that

That's correct but the time off wasnt for the failed IVF treatments..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back