Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

You think the AFL integrity people would allow this? Selwood and Ablett both had deals with Cotton On back in the day but it was totally within the rules. There are far too many coppers involved in the AFL integrity division to get around these rules.
I am sure it has happened in the past where a player could get a 500k block of land at Jan Juc for 50k but not sure it would be easy to achieve now.
I'll expand a little. The rumour I heard was a land sales company had a built in percentage going to the high profile players just for showing up to a couple of open days and appear in broaches. Apparently it was a loophole, not sure if its still goes on. But its been a running joke down this way for years.

From the hun.

Richmond will begrudgingly release Ivan Soldo to Greater Western Sydney to seal the Jacob Hopper deal, as the Tigers plan for a potential five-man bench that could pave the way for clubs to play two full-time ruckmen.

Interesting point on the 5 man bench and really just puts the squeeze on us even more for having a bare ruck cupboard!

Callum Twomey

@CalTwomey
·
2m

Luke Jackson has been traded to Fremantle in a deal involving GWS. Melbourne gets pick 13, Fremantle's future first round pick and future second round pick (tied to the Dockers) in exchange for Jackson, picks 44 and 67. GWS gets Toby Bedford.

From the hun.

Richmond will begrudgingly release Ivan Soldo to Greater Western Sydney to seal the Jacob Hopper deal, as the Tigers plan for a potential five-man bench that could pave the way for clubs to play two full-time ruckmen.

Interesting point on the 5 man bench and really just puts the squeeze on us even more for having a bare ruck cupboard!
So 5 man bench, then we still need an injury sub otherwise someone’s at a disadvtange, so 5+1. Well then we might as well make it 6, but then it must be 6+1 so I guess we may as well make it 7 and so on etc etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on mate, need to hold firm on these things. It will go down to the wire and if Brisbane want him they have to cough up, which they will at the last minute. Problem is they currently aren't even offering the abov

I live down Torquay and there has always been rumours, back from the Kostas days, stuff like they never need to pay for a car, discount land packages etc. Not sure if its true yet I personally don't believe players who have a short time to earn good money are supposedly taking so much less just to support the club.
If you look at the land developments in Ocean Grove, Ling is all over them. The article on how they all have become farmers recently, and Bomber Thompson made a fortune on Armstrong Creek. There have been other examples, but I think Geelong players are being offered property deals on the side at mates rates, outside the salary cap.

I suppose all clubs do it to a certain extent, I know Chris Grant made a fortune out of the old Sunshine picture house and Steve Wallis has a string of car dealerships.

Callum Twomey
@CalTwomey
·
2m

Luke Jackson has been traded to Fremantle in a deal involving GWS. Melbourne gets pick 13, Fremantle's future first round pick and future second round pick (tied to the Dockers) in exchange for Jackson, picks 44 and 67. GWS gets Toby Bedford.

Rankine also gone for pick 5 and some later pick swaps

Jackson trade another example of what you need to give up to get a top tier player (top 10% in league) from another club. However Brisbane continues to have the head in the sand. Either the rest of the league is crazy or Brisbane is the odd one out...... I wonder which?

If you look at the land developments in Ocean Grove, Ling is all over them. The article on how they all have become farmers recently, and Bomber Thompson made a fortune on Armstrong Creek. There have been other examples, but I think Geelong players are being offered property deals on the side at mates rates, outside the salary cap.

I suppose all clubs do it to a certain extent, I know Chris Grant made a fortune out of the old Sunshine picture house and Steve Wallis has a string of car dealerships.
Not sure if the club helped Grant out with $$$ in that development (heard it was in the form of advice, etc from club board members on how to proceed, in the form of free consultations), but Wallis studied business at the old FIT, was very focused on being a successful footballer as well as concurrently planning thoroughly for post-retirement (also think his original entry into car dealerships was via an Essendon board/coterie member?).

I'm sure our club helps players out as much as they can, such as Mofra pointed out with the Benz vehicles earlier, but Cats take it to a whole new level. The 'appearance' fees LondonBulldog alluded to are also on the money. Unfortunately, their sponsors' industries (home builders, motor industry) are better-placed to facilitate attractive inducements for young men and/or young families. There's only so many wraps and corn chips a player and his family can consume on a yearly basis!

Jackson trade another example of what you need to give up to get a top tier player (top 10% in league) from another club. However Brisbane continues to have the head in the sand. Either the rest of the league is crazy or Brisbane is the odd one out...... I wonder which?
To be fair, Freo are purely paying on potential. Jackson is far and away from being a top tier player right now.

Not sure if the club helped Grant out with $$$ in that development (heard it was in the form of advice, etc from club board members on how to proceed, in the form of free consultations), but Wallis studied business at the old FIT, was very focused on being a successful footballer as well as concurrently planning thoroughly for post-retirement (also think his original entry into car dealerships was via an Essendon board/coterie member?).

I'm sure our club helps players out as much as they can, such as Mofra pointed out with the Benz vehicles earlier, but Cats take it to a whole new level. The 'appearance' fees LondonBulldog alluded to are also on the money. Unfortunately, their sponsors' industries (home builders, motor industry) are better-placed to facilitate attractive inducements for young men and/or young families. There's only so many wraps and corn chips a player and his family can consume on a yearly basis!
Forgot to add, I'm pretty sure Granty was mentored by a club person through the development process - you don't want one of your star players making a mess of something like that, especially in the club's heartland.

No you are wrong. There are many players who became "rusted on devotees of the club." Hawkins, Royal,S.Wallis, Grant, Kennedy, West, Sutton, Whitten, Wood, Liberatore, Kerr, Beasley, Foster, Darcy, McKenzie. etc, etc, etc. I could sit here for an hour naming them. You have always have an emotional attachment to the first club you play for, very few players will say they don't. If there was no emotional attachment players wouldn't bother going to flag reunions, past player celebrations etc. Pretty easy for me to see why people would be upset with him leaving.
I think we’ll have to disagree somewhat on this.

To begin with I’d argue it’s best to use examples from the megabucks era of AFL. The money in modern football has changed the dynamics of player movement/retention. So from roughly 2000 onwards.

I agree the “first club” effect and the desire to be seen as a one-club player are factors but a large proportion of modern senior footballers change clubs at least once in their career. Leaving out FS players (three of whom might be leaving this off season anyway) and Gardner who was a DFA (hence no choice), roughly half our players 25 or older have played at other clubs before ours. We look like adding 2 more over the off season.
( I don’t have the list in front of me so I’m just doing that as a rough calculation.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back