Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rankine also gone for pick 5 and some later pick swaps
I suppose clubs have to take high end talent whenever they can, but Adelaide tieing up a lot of draft capital and salary cap into Rankine at this stage of their development isn't great list management for mine.

Not much point having rich icing for your cake when the cake is nowhere near ready

If anyone wants to spend a nice couple of hours cross-referencing Cotton On's employee list on LinkedIn and family and friends of Geelong players is something that I... uh... think is a big waste of time

If anyone wants to spend a nice couple of hours cross-referencing Cotton On's employee list on LinkedIn and family and friends of Geelong players is something that I... uh... think is a big waste of time
I think a few people are just jealous

Doubt they would be sooking if the doggies were doing it as good as Geelong

Every club does it lol

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Every year, same story, Trade Radio is Essendon Radio, doing nothing in the period but they talk about them non stop. It’s mind numbing

I think we’ll have to disagree somewhat on this.

To begin with I’d argue it’s best to use examples from the megabucks era of AFL. The money in modern football has changed the dynamics of player movement/retention. So from roughly 2000 onwards.

I agree the “first club” effect and the desire to be seen as a one-club player are factors but a large proportion of modern senior footballers change clubs at least once in their career. Leaving out FS players (three of whom might be leaving this off season anyway) and Gardner who was a DFA (hence no choice), roughly half our players 25 or older have played at other clubs before ours. We look like adding 2 more over the off season.
( I don’t have the list in front of me so I’m just doing that as a rough calculation.)
You've highlighted a few things I think is wrong with footy in this era, but in it's headlong rush to emulate other sports, the AFL is determined to continue down this path. And it's gone too far now anywway to ever turn back. Megabucks in sport, and greater player movement, coupled with the (alleged) intent of the draft to be an equaliser, has killed a lot of the parochial 'romaticism' of the sport. I'm not naive, so I don't ever see it going back, but the days of suburban and regional zoning meant the majority of players were one-club players, so the affinity between club and player and supporter was more in-grained. Even though some of our LaTrobe Valley players supported other clubs growing up, many of them (Royal, Standfield, etc) grew up as Bulldogs supporters.

I agree with your second paragraph though, more and more players change clubs, and there are fewer and fewer one-club players. Even Dougie Hawkins finished his career in different colours! Tbh, even if he plays 300 games for us and wins another flag/Brownlow/whatever, in this era I won't be surprised if Bont finishes his career like Luke Hodge, mentoring a young side somewhere else. It's the reality of modern sport.

Every club does it lol

The business relationships that Geelong-based businesses have with the one and only club in town though is unique. In Melbourne, a sponsor can pick among 9 different clubs. In Geelong doing business in Geelong with offices in Geelong, you've got one king club in town.

You've highlighted a few things I think is wrong with footy in this era, but in it's headlong rush to emulate other sports, the AFL is determined to continue down this path. And it's gone too far now anywway to ever turn back. Megabucks in sport, and greater player movement, coupled with the (alleged) intent of the draft to be an equaliser, has killed a lot of the parochial 'romaticism' of the sport. I'm not naive, so I don't ever see it going back, but the days of suburban and regional zoning meant the majority of players were one-club players, so the affinity between club and player and supporter was more in-grained. Even though some of our LaTrobe Valley players supported other clubs growing up, many of them (Royal, Standfield, etc) grew up as Bulldogs supporters.

I agree with your second paragraph though, more and more players change clubs, and there are fewer and fewer one-club players. Even Dougie Hawkins finished his career in different colours! Tbh, even if he plays 300 games for us and wins another flag/Brownlow/whatever, in this era I won't be surprised if Bont finishes his career like Luke Hodge, mentoring a young side somewhere else. It's the reality of modern sport.
A very simple solution woule be to add 5% on the contract of any player who gets traded club within the first 8 years of being in the league for the purposes of calculating the salary cap. This effectively gives clubs only a 95% salary cap to operate with if they choose to trade in other players before they're eligible free agents, incentivising a longer relationship.

Every club does it lol

Not jealous, as I pointed out above, Cats' sponsors offer more for young families just on the industries represented, as a start. Benz vans are not of interest for a slightly older player with young kids, but a Ford Ranger certainly helps, especially if the same player has acreage and associated toys to put in the back or tow. I don't know if Geelong actively seeks sponsorships for that purpose, as their sponsors are largely Geelong-domiciled anyway. Maybe we just need to do it better as a club, as you say.

Don't know much about him, can you give us a summary?
Should have been a first rounder, genuine two-way running mid who has been shoehorned into a forward role.
Captain at u18 level, Larke Medallist, invited to the first-rounder draft night and was the only player not selected (so went at the start of the second).

Similar to Dunkley in a lot of ways, nowhere near as good overhead but a better kick. Perhaps Dom Sheed a good comparison too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgot to add, I'm pretty sure Granty was mentored by a club person through the development process - you don't want one of your star players making a mess of something like that, especially in the club's heartland.

Of course it can always end up like Nathan Brown getting absolutely ****ed over by bad advice from the person that Richmond put him in touch with.

Of course it can always end up like Nathan Brown getting absolutely *ed over by bad advice from the person that Richmond put him in touch with.
Unfortunately for Brown, it seems land property development was one of the key selling points to get him to Richmond (I seem to remember there was a helicopter ride with Leon Daphne(?) showing him an elevated view of where he would be raking in extra $$$). I think someone on here posted recently that Brown ended up costing himself money with his move, can't recall all the details though.

Anyway, I've probably posted enough on this topic. I'll go back to being a poor-man's ScragCity by posting BS Barrass rumours! :)

Some bloke on trade radio called in saying "Hunter was at the Melbourne Best and Fairest after party"
Hamling was also supposedly spotted in Geelong. Can't be much in that tho. Geelong don't need Hamling at all with their backline they have.

Some bloke on trade radio called in saying "Hunter was at the Melbourne Best and Fairest after party"
Hamling was also supposedly spotted in Geelong. Can't be much in that tho. Geelong don't need Hamling at all with their backline they have.
Hunter was at the Melbourne after party AND the Carlton mad monday? He must have a lot of friends!

Getting away from trade period for a second- give us your top 3 that you think will improve the most next year:

I’ll go:

1) Jamarra
2) Garcia
3) Darcy

Getting away from trade period for a second- give us your top 3 that you think will improve the most next year:

I’ll go:

1) Jamarra
2) Garcia
3) Darcy

I think we all know JUH and Darcy are going to improve, so I will avoid them,

1 - Weightman, had a good year but I think if he fixes a few things he could be top 5 small forward in league
2 - West, another year and preseason under him will allow him to be more consistent, had a good patch and dropped off, think he could be a B+ grade player
3 - Buku, hopefully getting Lobb in and Jones in, frees him up to play either ends of the ground and not be a main focal point, if he goes back can be 3rd/4th tall and play intercept, if he goes forward can be same 3rd/4th and is pretty mobile and quick

Is Hunter being invited to these events at other clubs, or rocking up unannounced? Or even working there as hospitality staff between 4-hour gym sessions, to enhance his professional network?!

There's also, of course, the slight issue of proof he was even at one or both of these events. Maybe it's a Lachie Hunter look-alike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back