Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me old school, but I like it when a player sticks with their number.

Okay, if you change after 1 season, fair enough. But after that you should be stuck with it for better or worse!

81% of our 200+ gamers either never changed their number or did after their first season...

200.png

*Johnson should be in the 1 column.

Last edited:

Sammy P is in his draft wrap mentioned that we are likely to take the three picks 11, 21 and 39 to the draft. Especially after pick 39 will be more like pick 35 after the Bears match a bid.

I think it is important to bring at least 3 higher end picks in after Darcy and JUH bids wiped out our draft hand
Surely its a no brainer that we bid on Fletcher at pick #11 just to enforce the Bears of committing picks. Surely.

Call me old school, but I like it when a player sticks with their number.

Okay, if you change after 1 season, fair enough. But after that you should be stuck with it for better or worse!
It should be a club rule that you never change numbers, the numbers are more significant when you play in them for your entire career.

Delisted Bulldog Mitch Wallis is keen to continue his AFL career after being left a “little bit bitter” by the club’s decision to move him on.

The Western Bulldogs announced Wallis would not be offered a new contract on Monday morning, farewelling the 29-year-old after 12 seasons and 162 games.
Wallis was the club’s vice-captain in 2021 and was one of the Dogs’ best players through a period that saw the club claim the 2016 premiership, despite the midfielder missing with a broken leg.

But after spending most of the past two seasons out of the best 22, Wallis was disappointed his time at Whitten Oval ended as it has.

“You could call it a surprise. There wasn’t a contract per se on the table but more of a wait-and-see type approach,” he told SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“I’m an optimistic person so I thought it would happen. The club’s had a fair bit of movement this off-season. I was hoping to stay on because I’ve still got a fair bit of fire in the belly, the last few seasons haven’t really played in my favour with injuries and the
“It didn’t fall my way but in saying that, I’m obviously very grateful for the time. 12 years is a long time at one club and the game so I can’t be more grateful for the opportunities I was given there.

“But it ends abruptly… you sever ties quite quickly and probably the only regret is I didn’t get to do it in front of my teammates and some of the staff members who have been so important to my journey and invested a lot of time, energy and emotions into me.

“To sort of be on holidays and have to make the call is something that leaves me a little bit bitter but at the end of the day it’s a ruthless industry and I look forward.”

Wallis admitted that one of the great mysteries of his career is why he spent the prime of his footy years out of Luke Beveridge’s 22.

After being elevated to Marcus Bontempelli’s deputy, Wallis played six games in 2021 before five in 2022.

It came after he reinvented himself as a forward in 2020, but has consistently found himself out of the midfield and forward mix.

When asked why he’s been left out of the team in recent years, Wallis replied: “good question.

“It’s one of those things I’ll never fully understand and I’ll grapple with it… as long as I think about footy.

“Obviously would have loved a little bit more opportunity to play and show my worth, but that’s just the way the match committee and Luke went.

“He’s the senior coach, he’s in control and he makes decisions at the end of the day that you have to live with.

“I was never going to fight it, but I just wanted to do everything and train as hard as I could to prove I was worthy of a game.

“I only played a handful of games this year but I felt like I turned it around a little bit before I got injured, unfortunately, but that’s footy.”

Nevertheless, Wallis is keen to continue his AFL career.

He’s completely recovered from foot surgery in June this year and added he was prepared to move anywhere to keep the dream alive.

“It’s still pretty raw, I haven’t totally moved on from the Bulldogs yet... we’ll explore (the interest) over the coming weeks and see what’s out there,” the ex-Bulldog offered.

“I’m keen to keep playing but at the end of the day, we’ll let the dust settle and acknowledge a club that’s been so kind to me and take the next step in due course.

“I love footy… I’m open to all offers and all ideas, but it’s only been a few hours and a few days that I’ve come to terms with not playing in the red, white and blue.”
The club treats a player that bleeds red white and blue and suffered numerous injuries putting his body on the line by not offering another contract, yet re-signs a player that has done absolutely nothing for the last 6 seasons and won't even go near the ball out of the fear of getting touched.

The club treats a player that bleeds red white and blue and suffered numerous injuries putting his body on the line by not offering another contract, yet re-signs a player that has done absolutely nothing for the last 6 seasons and won't even go near the ball out of the fear of getting touched.

Not sure who you are talking about???

Unless we make a late change. This trade/delisting period has gone remarkably as speculated/desired by most on this board for the past few months.

Dunkley and Hunter were always gone.

Cordy was obviously given a face saving downgrade to his contract forcing him to look elsewhere.

Butler, Parker, Schache and Wallis were either not going to make it or had come to an obvious end of the road at the club.

On the flip side we brought in two experienced talls, why are better than the two players they are like for like positional replacements for.

We have also strengthened our draft hand and I await to see whether Silent Sam uses this hand to package a number of picks or take the straight to the draft. As much as it infuriates many on this board during trade week that we aren't being linked to every palooka up for grabs. Its pretty obvious that when we leak. We don't spray it about like a player after a big mad Monday.

Either way. I think we'll going into the next season in a better position personnel wise than we did this past one.
Not sure who you are talking about???

I can't be sure. But I suspect that its either JJ or Daniel Giansiracusa. They both get unfairly tarred with the same brush.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I'm a bit over Bont too. :drunk:

Has everyone forgotten that we'll probably draft a player from Footscray?
I'm not across the VFL so I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
As long as his surname doesn't with Mac.

Really feel the club has got the delistings accurate. Tough call on Wally, but the right one.

Sammy P had a strong trade period, so we just need to nail the draft.

Think the list will be stronger after the draft than it was in 2022.

I hope we can bolster the coaching dept with another experienced, strong personality.

Very disappointed how the club has treated Mitch. It is a joke he is gone and Robbie turnover is still on the list. Mitch is a great leader and a great influence on younger players. He may have played only a half a dozen games but you should keep a quality person when You keep good stories VFL players. Obvious Bevo had an issue with Mitch and he was not one of his pets. God help us if we recruit Rowe or another Footscray middle aged vfl player who will just take up a list spot like Robbie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back