Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if dogs will go for a main list of 38 and 4 rookies + 1 cat b next season. I think the club has to upgrade sweet and Khamis to the main list since they were picked up in 2019. That means 4 draftees 1 DFA and 1 rookie.

Very disappointed how the club has treated Mitch. It is a joke he is gone and Robbie turnover is still on the list. Mitch is a great leader and a great influence on younger players. He may have played only a half a dozen games but you should keep a quality person when You keep good stories VFL players. Obvious Bevo had an issue with Mitch and he was not one of his pets. God help us if we recruit Rowe or another Footscray middle aged vfl player who will just take up a list spot like Robbie.
That may be true, but if I were Mitch, the writing has been on the wall for a while and he would of known that a possible delisting was on the cards, unfortunately his injuries got the better of him the past year and didn’t get to prove himself for another contract.

The club treats a player that bleeds red white and blue and suffered numerous injuries putting his body on the line by not offering another contract, yet re-signs a player that has done absolutely nothing for the last 6 seasons and won't even go near the ball out of the fear of getting touched.
Bro any excuse 😂 what did JJ do to you? This is a safe space you can tell us

So, we have 11, 21, 39, 69, 87. We can theoretically take all to the draft. I know we won’t and I personally wouldn’t. But I think 11, 21 and 39 we are certain to take in. That leaves the two later picks. We have a bit of flexibility of what we can do:

• late national draft picks
  • rookie selections
  • DFA
  • leave a spot open for SPP or mid year draft

Or some combination of above. Also of note we do have a spare Cat B rookie spot, does anyone know if there is anyone possibly on the radar to fill this spot?

My guess for the remaining spots is 3 main draft picks, and then Rowe as a DFA, plus Sullivan as a rookie.

Scanning through our list of players who come out of contract next year ( see Contract Status Thread above), there is a very good chance we could have an even bigger turnover at season's end. Much water to flow under the bridge yet but a lot of players will be watched carefully.

Call me old school, but I like it when a player sticks with their number.

Okay, if you change after 1 season, fair enough. But after that you should be stuck with it for better or worse!
Same. I’ve heard guys presenting jumpers to new players saying, Make it your own. Caleb was one such recipient iirc. I was very disappointed when Dunkley gave up his premiership-winning number 20. Didn’t it mean anything to him?

Very disappointed how the club has treated Mitch. It is a joke he is gone and Robbie turnover is still on the list. Mitch is a great leader and a great influence on younger players. He may have played only a half a dozen games but you should keep a quality person when You keep good stories VFL players. Obvious Bevo had an issue with Mitch and he was not one of his pets. God help us if we recruit Rowe or another Footscray middle aged vfl player who will just take up a list spot like Robbie.
Any chance we would rookie him? Or sign him up to Footscray as captain and assistant coach?

I like the double numbers of 33 & 44 on players like Naughton & English. I think Lobb should be 13 and Jones 14. West to 7, Weightman to 3, and Bedendo to 8. 5 and 12 to draftees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get he's a good clubman, but so is the boot strapper!!!

If he can't play at the level required then he is just taking up space.

Everyone loves the romance of the father son system but Wallis would have been delisted three years ago if he was just Mitch Johnson, son of some random schlub. He's loved around the club but he's cooked, let's not even lie to ourselves that he can play midfield minutes at AFL level anymore.

No way the club has treated Mitch bad. Last year was a bonus for him. It's unfortunate, he is better than how his career panned out but no point wasting a list spot. He just didn't fit our forward line. We needed a quick medium sized forward who can also fly for marks. Wallis was great when we struggled for KPFs but not when we had Naughton and Bruce.

He should have been tried elsewhere but I really can't think of anywhere that would have worked at AFL level. Maybe if Bev believed in tagging he would have played more games. Hope he gets another go

It shits me to tears seeing McComb so consistently getting games, but geez some people here are being rough on him. He's literally ONE YEAR into his AFL career and playing the role the coaches want him for. Is it a crime that he's given another year to see what kind of improvement he's got in him, over a bloke who has been on a downward trajectory for 3 straight years now and isn't best 22? I love Wally, but there's an expiry date on every player's career, and his was reached a while back. Weird how people will shit on McComb but endlessly defend players like Arty Jones because we can recognise he's raw and in his first year, despite him barely being good enough for VFL level currently. I say give the bloke a chance

Don’t get the mccomb comparisons with some players. He literally has the last spot on the list and would probably play for free. Other guys like Wallis have big contracts at times in their careers. To keep them around means you cater for their stature, pedigree and salary demands. Not saying Wallis would be in our top 5 earners, but he’d command a shed load more than mccomb at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Same. I’ve heard guys presenting jumpers to new players saying, Make it your own. Caleb was one such recipient iirc. I was very disappointed when Dunkley gave up his premiership-winning number 20. Didn’t it mean anything to him?
I rvaguely emember the club releasing a little video of Caleb being presented his guernsey by former #35 Terry Wheeler.

Wheels presentation was pretty great, you could hear the motivational coach in him.

Scanning through our list of players who come out of contract next year ( see Contract Status Thread above), there is a very good chance we could have an even bigger turnover at season's end. Much water to flow under the bridge yet but a lot of players will be watched carefully.
Yep, going to be a much more comfortable year you’d think for Sammy Power on the renewals front. The only players you’d even want to re-sign pre-season or early in the year are:
  • Darcy (but he’d be smart to wait)
  • Libba (but he’s not going anywhere else anyway)
  • Ed Richards (see Darcy)
  • Weightman

It shits me to tears seeing McComb so consistently getting games, but geez some people here are being rough on him. He's literally ONE YEAR into his AFL career and playing the role the coaches want him for. Is it a crime that he's given another year to see what kind of improvement he's got in him, over a bloke who has been on a downward trajectory for 3 straight years now and isn't best 22? I love Wally, but there's an expiry date on every player's career, and his was reached a while back. Weird how people will s**t on McComb but endlessly defend players like Arty Jones because we can recognise he's raw and in his first year, despite him barely being good enough for VFL level currently. I say give the bloke a chance
Raw at 19 years old and not good enough at 25 years old are not the same thing though) FWIW I’m not a fan of Jones and don’t think he’ll make it).

My main issue with McComb is he can’t even stick a tackle. If you’re short, not quick and have ordinary skills then you really can’t afford to be easily brushed aside when you do get to the contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back