Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

My mail on Macrea to St.kilda is getting louder and I believe the club are now listening to what is on offer, however IF he was to leave the club wouldn't let him go for nothing and it would NOT be a salary dump scenario.

In terms of off-field the dogs have made another big play at Leppitsch although it's still seen as unlikely he moves.
I've also been told to expect more movement on the assistant coach front as well as the likely addition of an extra brought in under a newly created title.

The club underwent its planned review over the bye period in which full support was given to Beveridge however there is still a few things/people behind the scenes that didn't meet expectations and will likely "decide" to move on at years end or be put into different roles.
Hi. So a player touring other clubs facilities mid-season is a big no, but the club discussing trading a player mid-season is OK. Is that not blatant hypocrisy?

Hi. So a player touring other clubs facilities mid-season is a big no, but the club discussing trading a player mid-season is OK. Is that not blatant hypocrisy?
Conversations and hypotheticals are different to actually going into opposition facilities. All these discussions start through player managers anyway so it isn't hypocritical considering it's managers looking for better opportunities for their clients that initiate the whole thing.

5 years sounds too long but does a backline of Jones, Lobb and Barrass sound like a couple of flags next two seasons ala Lake to Hawks?

FWIW i think abort….but what do i know

Personally, I think it's much more fraught to have future expectations of AFL contributions from a player who is even yet to make a debut (Busslinger), even accepting our confidence with our contract re-signing, when compared to the fact that Barrass is contributing every week now as it stands, irrespective of whatever injury he may or may not have or be injured.

If we're talking about being fraught with the future, the risk is much more likely that Busslinger never kicks on and either never plays or never plays anything meaningful beyond "lets see how good this guy is at AFL level" than it is likely that Barrass' injuries somehow cause future issues.
With cap situations and potentially a decent midfield draft class in 2024 would it be best to look within after the season changing positional moves of Ed and Lobb.
An offer of 800k to Timmy to become a KPD and 2nd Ruck after Jonesey potentially retires next year. Move Darcy to 1st Ruck and resting as a KPF. Darcy has more mungrel in him than Timmy to be the 1st Ruck.

Trade Smithy to the highest bidder due to salary cap restraints, and hopefully get a top 10 pick and a future 1st.

With cap situations and potentially a decent midfield draft class in 2024 would it be best to look within after the season changing positional moves of Ed and Lobb.
An offer of 800k to Timmy to become a KPD and 2nd Ruck after Jonesey potentially retires next year. Move Darcy to 1st Ruck and resting as a KPF. Darcy has more mungrel in him than Timmy to be the 1st Ruck.

Trade Smithy to the highest bidder due to salary cap restraints, and hopefully get a top 10 pick and a future 1st.
We will only get one first rounder for Smith and it won't be a good one

You can't just trade players to the highest bidder. We aren't in America. In the AFL for better or worse the player especially when out of contract has 100% say in where he goes.
We will be lucky to get one top 10 pick for him let alone another first with it.
Personally the best I think we can hope for is Geelongs first this year and a future first for Smith and a future second but more likely it lands as this year's first and a future second for Smith and a future third.

You can't just trade players to the highest bidder. We aren't in America. In the AFL for better or worse the player especially when out of contract has 100% say in where he goes.
We will be lucky to get one top 10 pick for him let alone another first with it.
Personally the best I think we can hope for is Geelongs first this year and a future first for Smith and a future second but more likely it lands as this year's first and a future second for Smith and a future third.
Where's my puke bucket

According to Twomey on Gettable, Smith is definitely leaving. English a wait and see
I think the fact he has not signed and it is nearly August speaks volumes

He has had time to do all the thinking he needs about staying at the Kennel

If English leaves could we get Marc Pittonet on the cheap?

I know it’s not likely but we should still try for two first rounders Geelong got that for an out of contract 26 year old Tim Kelly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's all about his brand and the mighty dollar so I can see why he wants the Cotton On Cats
I'll caveat this by saying I know its the AFL so expecting consistency is a bit much... But if he went to Geelong, his deal with Cotton On would be put under the microscope more and any increases to the current deal would be hard to get up

Probably the best potentially available option. Maybe O’Brien but he’s been poor this year anyway

Ned Reeves from Hawthorn is another option if English left

As a list management strategy, definitely in favor on a cheap ruck option rather than spending circa 1M + on English. Especially if we can get a first-round pick in return in what experts describe as a very even first round draft pool.

I thought smithy was looking at both the Hawks and cats.
Hawks currently have pick 8 and decent coin to throw at him.

I heard he's re-signed?
Signed a 4 year deal last year.

In terms of cheap rucks:
  • Preuss as a DFA or token late pick (for the 8-10 games per year he can get on the paddock)
  • We back in a Lobb/Darcy combo although Lobb as a backman shows real promise and I prefer Darcy playing more forward minutes
  • Ladhams and CCJ are both OOC in 2025 but they're 'barely ok' as first rucks
  • We beg Tom Downie to come back into the AFL system for a year and hope like hell we can pry another ruck out next year

I guess I can see why the club is backing in English. The alternatives don't really inspire confidence.

I think we do need to sign English we don’t have another genuine ruckman on our list Darcy is only young and lobb is our backman so we do need to sign English people are forgetting he is really important to our team when you think about it

Cal Twomey said on Gettable it’s flipped English was looking to Re-signing but west coast offer is better
With Timmy's drop in form from last year, and he still can't perform against more physical rucks (see Jordan Sweets game) if he's got a better offer, let's gets some picks/ compo like norf got for Mckay.
We still have Darcy who has improved his ruck craft and Lobb as a back up.
Timmy and Smithy have not shown full commitment to the dogs.

We'd be really dumb to let English go and replace him with some whipping boy spud who is okay at beat in the middle and nothing else.

We would go backwards and people will whinge about the new bloke too
I think it’s the dollars…English on 750k is high if we get wet lettuce English but is exceptional value if we get last two weeks English…

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back