Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 6-year deal should not mean Geelong will be able to offer peanuts to us and do an Essendon after promising the player the world.

Pay up campaigners

Well, surely this means a decent trade price. You can't give a bloke over a million a year for 6 years without paying for him.

But nah, Geelong. Only worth a single late first with a third going back.

Separately, I wonder how Bailey feels watching Ed take the midfield role that Bailey wanted?.. It probably would have been there for him this year if not for his knee. A real missed opportunity for Bailey, and possibly for us, as having both of them on-ball at times would have suited the way we’re playing.

From what I'm old geelong's offer is 5 years at the same money as our offer.

I'd imagine he wants an extra year security aswell as a deal potentially done earlier in the trade period rather then have his fate decided in the last hour, which is how it'd go down with Geelong.

I'd imagine he wants an extra year security aswell as a deal potentially done earlier in the trade period rather then have his fate decided in the last hour, which is how it'd go down with Geelong.

St Kilda makes too much sense. If they get a first round FA compo pick for Battle surely both teams would do that for Smith. Turning Battle into Smith would be great for them and turning Smith into pick 8-9 would be great for us. Smith would give them a dynamic midfielder and a star and he’d get every opportunity he could want as a first choice mid.

But I suspect he’s basically already wearing a Geelong jumper and this is just white noise.

Separately, I wonder how Bailey feels watching Ed take the midfield role that Bailey wanted?.. It probably would have been there for him this year if not for his knee. A real missed opportunity for Bailey, and possibly for us, as having both of them on-ball at times would have suited the way we’re playing.
Baz just can’t do what Ed does for us because of his disposal.

Baz just can’t do what Ed does for us because of his disposal.

Yeah, Ed’s a far more damaging front half player. His kicking is sublime and he kicks goals from the midfield. He doesn't yet have Smith’s ability to accumulate outside possessions. They bring different playing styles to the position. I think they could have been a dynamic pairing around Bont at times. If I had to choose one I’d choose Richard’s now, though. His kicking is elite, beyond valuable from an inside mid with pace.

*I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Maginnes go to Richards on Friday night, such is how damaging he has been for us.

Yeah, Ed’s a far more damaging front half player. His kicking is sublime and he kicks goals from the midfield. He doesn't yet have Smith’s ability to accumulate outside possessions. They bring different playing styles to the position. I think they could have been a dynamic pairing around Bont at times. If I had to choose one I’d choose Richard’s now, though. His kicking is elite, beyond valuable from an inside mid with pace.

*I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Maginnes go to Richards on Friday night, such is how damaging he has been for us.
It's the benefit of having so many midfielders playing elite football. You tag Richards, then you run the risk of allowing Bont & Treloar too much space forward of the ball.

I don't think we'd mind Ed being tagged. The club probably then tells him to go and sit on someone like a Moore or Newcombe and try to create a 2v1 and influence the game in that manner.

So basically we are pushing him out without pushing him out. Deliberate lowballing. It would be unreasonable to expect him to sign 2 years with 5/6 on the table really. It would be easy for us to stump that up if we wanted to.

Given his ACL probably wiser to take the guaranteed money vs the two year deal to free agency - and his afl contract may not even be his main money maker said and done.

If it’s not crazy money that could be good value for Geelong though if he plays to previously shown potential.

Free Agency has to be worth something. We're the only team that can take him there.

Hawks have the best contract offer on the table (and salary cap money to burn), but if they're after Barrass, won't be able to get a trade done.

Say the same thing happens in two years time. Smith can get himself to the best contract offer no worries.

That's what we're selling that other clubs can't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free Agency has to be worth something. We're the only team that can take him there.

Hawks have the best contract offer on the table (and salary cap money to burn), but if they're after Barrass, won't be able to get a trade done.

Say the same thing happens in two years time. Smith can get himself to the best contract offer no worries.

That's what we're selling that other clubs can't.

I don’t think a 2 year contract to FA has the same appeal for a player coming off a knee reconstruction that was already in a battle to play his preferred role.

I don’t think a 2 year contract to FA has the same appeal for a player coming off a knee reconstruction that was already in a battle to play his preferred role.
I agree, just it's something we can offer that other clubs can't.

It would definitely be a risk, one that could see him earn a fair bit more if he has a big 24 months but on the flipside if he does do his knee again he would struggle to get the offers he is now.

So basically we are pushing him out without pushing him out. Deliberate lowballing. It would be unreasonable to expect him to sign 2 years with 5/6 on the table really. It would be easy for us to stump that up if we wanted to.

Given his ACL probably wiser to take the guaranteed money vs the two year deal to free agency - and his afl contract may not even be his main money maker said and done.

If it’s not crazy money that could be good value for Geelong though if he plays to previously shown potential.
The two years we have been offering is just smart list management. Granted he wasn't coming off a serious injury but zak Butters signed a two year deal to take him through to 2026 last December, something we all thought Smith would seriously consider as well.

Unfortunately once Baz nominates they can give whatever they want, crap system but our hands will be tied.
I know it comes up all the time and people ridicule it but I would genuinely tell Geelong what we want and stick him in the draft if they won’t pay it. Two late first rounders is very reasonable if they are paying 5 years at a million per. Smith would be very happy at Richmond and we don’t need a pick in the late teens as much as we need to draw a line in the sand. We can’t go through another Dunkley deal.

I know it comes up all the time and people ridicule it but I would genuinely tell Geelong what we want and stick him in the draft if they won’t pay it. Two late first rounders is very reasonable if they are paying 5 years at a million per. Smith would be very happy at Richmond and we don’t need a pick in the late teens as much as we need to draw a line in the sand. We can’t go through another Dunkley deal.
Plus, on top of this, Smith is a reasonable chance to just take the two years with us rather than go through the PSD, if we reject every trade.

Wingard retires. I was all for him at the time, glad he didn't pick us.

The classy left-footer was named an All-Australian in 2013 and 2015 but couldn’t recapture those matchwinning highs and after kicking 38 goals in 2016, didn’t bag more than 24 in any of his next eight AFL seasons.
It's an interesting case study about how easy it is for the rest of the league to catch up to your output and ability if you don't keep yourself both fit and motivated with getting the most out of your career as a number one priority. He turned 20 and 22 halfway through those two seasons which he was All-Australian.

It's not hard to imagine an alternate universe where Wingard's body holds up and his motivation/priorities are a bit different, and he's a five or seven time All Australian an in the GOAT of the modern era discussions, had he followed an average AFL player's aging curve. It's a very short list of players who are twice AA before they turn 23.

Plus, on top of this, Smith is a reasonable chance to just take the two years with us rather than go through the PSD, if we reject every trade.
Geelong is a direct competitor. We should not entertain a situation where they drastically improve their list if they aren't meeting our asking price (hopefully 2 1sts is what Sam has in mind). Otherwise, more comfortable sending him to Richmond if he doesn't sign the 2 year deal.

I think this will come into focus if we win this week and play them next week and lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back