Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Morris reported that the club have offered English 5 years but he wants 6 years or more
Any club offering 6+ years to English is crazy. He’d be 33+ at the end of that deal, has concussion concerns and only had 1 consistent season in his career. His next contract value would’ve gone way down with how he’s played this year vs last year

Must really have an amazing culture down there.

Having won 4 flags in 17 years I’d say that’s more attractive compared to the record of the Saints

It’s probably been said enough times - but Bailey Smith is gone.I can say that with 99% certainty.And the other 1% is insurance only.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cornes went off his chops on SEN this evening about the length of contracts being thrown out - reckons players have too much power now. Couldn’t believe what was being thrown around for Perryman, Battle, Berry’s new deal at the lions. I reckon Tim’s in the same boat re 6 years.

Cornes went off his chops on SEN this evening about the length of contracts being thrown out - reckons players have too much power now. Couldn’t believe what was being thrown around for Perryman, Battle, Berry’s new deal at the lions. I reckon Tim’s in the same boat re 6 years.
I don’t think he’s wrong. You look at the Demons. Brayshaw has retired, Oliver looks cooked and Petracca had a life threatening injury. All guys on long term contracts and have/had the ability to cripple the club long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spoke with him just recently. Was very much hoping to play a couple of games at the back end of the year.
He'd want to have his contract squared away before he did.

I dont imagine any of the opposition clubs he's allegedly been linked to would be keen for him to play this year.

Last edited:
He is bang on, long term contracts should be for stars only, those players are dime a dozen players getting 5 year contracts, we only have to look at Daniel to see why these shouldn't be handed out, there are going to be clubs that end up in a really bad place in near future if things pear shaped with these deals.

He is bang on, long term contracts should be for stars only, those players are dime a dozen players getting 5 year contracts, we only have to look at Daniel to see why these shouldn't be handed out, there are going to be clubs that end up in a really bad place in near future if things pear shaped with these deals.
I can see more salary dump trades happening in the future. See it often in NFL, NHL etc and Jack Bowes was probably the first notable one in the AFL.

Players change form quickly. Looking back to just 5 years ago, we had Crozier, Hunter, Daniel and Macrae all 25 or under and finished Top 10 in our BnF. Crozier is done, Hunter in reserves, meanwhile Daniel and Macrae are well below their best. Based on 5 years ago, you’d expect them all to be important players for us right now

Last edited:
Don't worry about it. The AFL always comes good with compo picks for poorly managed clubs.

Depends on in which one of the 6 years Tim grows a set of testicles.
Tim’s stock is diminishing with every match. His decision to back himself in and hold out on a bigger contract after his AA year last year is really backfiring. If I were him I’d be asking we do I sign before that 5 year deal is pulled

It is hard to wrap your head around but what Kaneo never mentions is that these deals need to be viewed in the context of the ever growing salary cap. From what I could find it was $12.45m in 2017, it'll be $18.44m by the end of 2028. So Jarrod Berry getting 5 years at $700k isn't as crazy as it seems.

Dogs are still looking at Wing and pressure forward options
Some names floated (mainly just opinion not fact) are Lachie Hunter, Jesse Motlop and Jack Martin
More of taking the mickey from my ITK

but still showing that our pressure and wing rotations need a boost of experience

It is hard to wrap your head around but what Kaneo never mentions is that these deals need to be viewed in the context of the ever growing salary cap. From what I could find it was $12.45m in 2017, it'll be $18.44m by the end of 2028. So Jarrod Berry getting 5 years at $700k isn't as crazy as it seems.
Correct, these long term deals can work the other way as well. Remember Alister Lynch getting a 10 year deal at Brisbane, highest ever deal over the longest period at the time. By his last year he was paid such a small amount compared to leading players at the time.
That's why locking Naughton away was the right move. Yet you can't offer to many.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back