Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

It is hard to wrap your head around but what Kaneo never mentions is that these deals need to be viewed in the context of the ever growing salary cap. From what I could find it was $12.45m in 2017, it'll be $18.44m by the end of 2028. So Jarrod Berry getting 5 years at $700k isn't as crazy as it seems.
I think Kane’s issues a more to do with the length of contracts not pay.

It is hard to wrap your head around but what Kaneo never mentions is that these deals need to be viewed in the context of the ever growing salary cap. From what I could find it was $12.45m in 2017, it'll be $18.44m by the end of 2028. So Jarrod Berry getting 5 years at $700k isn't as crazy as it seems.
It’s not as crazy as it seems….its ****ing loco

I think Kane’s issues a more to do with the length of contracts not pay.
Damned if you damned if you don't a bit though, especially with free agents. Case in point Naughton, mammoth contract but if the Dogs hypothetically didn't want to budge from a 6 year offer and Sydney swooped in with a 8 year deal we would have been blasted for losing him.

Dogs are still looking at Wing and pressure forward options
Some names floated (mainly just opinion not fact) are Lachie Hunter, Jesse Motlop and Jack Martin
More of taking the mickey from my ITK

but still showing that our pressure and wing rotations need a boost of experience

I knew it. This is why I can't take your sources serious on player movement. They are all a bunch of trolls!

I'll never forget one year you had us down taking James Rowe, plus some other spud and had us drafting Lachie Sullivan. None of it happened.

You seem to have good info with a lot other things though, so I appreciate it. Just not this lol

If Bailey Smith leaves its not because he wants out - and it isn't amount money - only thing holding up a signature is length of contract. We upped our offer but kept firm at 2 years and that isn't cutting the mustard when his being offered more+longer elsewhere.

If anyone says its culture/club/Bevo/money related, they have no idea.

This is basically coming from the horses mouth (next best thing from it)

If Bailey Smith leaves its not because he wants out - and it isn't amount money - only thing holding up a signature is length of contract. We upped our offer but kept firm at 2 years and that isn't cutting the mustard when his being offered more+longer elsewhere.

Assuming that’s true, that smells a bit like us encouraging him to go. And I’m not sure why we’d do that.

He is bang on, long term contracts should be for stars only, those players are dime a dozen players getting 5 year contracts, we only have to look at Daniel to see why these shouldn't be handed out, there are going to be clubs that end up in a really bad place in near future if things pear shaped with these deals.
Without knowing the ins and outs of these contracts, it's a pointless complaint to be made. It's impossible to know how these longer length contracts (the only thing that gets publicly confirmed, and often, not even fully confirmed) gets counterbalanced with how salaires, clauses, bonuses and triggers have also changed in recent years.

If we came out and confirmed that we had signed Joel Freijah to a eight-year deal tomorrow, people here would be questioning why the hell we would do that deal. If it was then announced that he was being paid a minimum base contract on the same amount and we had substantial get-out or termination clauses in there, people would call us a genius for such a contract. It's an unrealistic example, but probably not far off what's happening in some of these longer term deals.

I have it on good authority that Naughton's longer-term deal that he signed last year (7 years or whatever it is) is something like that. He'll get handsomely paid every year if he's a top-5 B&F, All-Australian squad type player, which is fine, he deserves that. If he's just a middling or fringe best 22 contract by the end of it, we're not paying him anywhere near as much in the final years of the contract as he's getting even this or next year.

Assuming that’s true, that smells a bit like us encouraging him to go. And I’m not sure why we’d do that.
The salary cap's in operation. Smith wasn't as bad as his raw statistics suggest (his coachability and raw running power and work rate and versatility across onball/wing/half forward have value), but the poor nature of his kicking and his ball winning ability last year was what it was. We're still offering him money that makes him a top 5-10 paid player in our team. Other clubs are offering top 3-5 money for longer. If he plays a similar season next year as he did last year, the following year's money will be an absolute drag.

Everyone's operating in good faith here, which isn't always the case in contracts. But extreme views and weird negotiation is expected because Smith is such a unique player and person with his profile, unique play style, rare good form for such a good player but rare drop off of form, value from extreme skillsets (running power), limited value from extreme weaknesses (his kicking and hitting targets). etc. From a contract POV you will hardly see a player that has such a range of opinions on his worth.

Gettable - Cal Twomey Updates (Paraphrasing)
Caleb Daniel - No Suitors at least Publicly
Jed Busslinger - Offer on the Table from the Dogs, Likely to stay.
Tim English - English to re-sign fairly soon, Progression made in the last couple of weeks.
Rory Lobb - "If he's playing he's staying" the vibe that Riley Beveridge got from him during an interview.
Bailey Smith - Gone, Cats & Hawks are the ones in play.
Tom Barrass - More than 3m over a lot of years from the Dogs for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gettable - Cal Twomey Updates (Paraphrasing)
Caleb Daniel - No Suitors at least Publicly
Jed Busslinger - Offer on the Table from the Dogs, Likely to stay.
Tim English - English to re-sign fairly soon, Progression made in the last couple of weeks.
Rory Lobb - "If he's playing he's staying" the vibe that Riley Beveridge got from him during an interview.
Bailey Smith - Gone, Cats & Hawks are the ones in play.
Tom Barrass - More than 3m over a lot of years from the Dogs for him.
Also to add, mentioned Pies have dropped off in the Barrass pursuit and sounded like it's either stay at the Eagles or come to Dogs

Barrass for $600-$700k a year over 5 years or whatever would be an absolute steal.

The way that the salary cap works, if you can get anything above your 15-18th best player, a starting on-field player, for that amount, who will play consistently over the length of the contract, they're clearly worth that money.

I was expecting discussions to be touching the $800k-million mark.

Sounds like he’s somewhat happy at the dogs?

Kinda fits in line with what Bevo said not long ago, that other clubs are going to come along with greater money offers.

Dogs are still looking at Wing and pressure forward options
Some names floated (mainly just opinion not fact) are Lachie Hunter, Jesse Motlop and Jack Martin
More of taking the mickey from my ITK

but still showing that our pressure and wing rotations need a boost of experience
Matt Owies is one of the pressure forwards I've been told we're interested in recently.

Western Bulldogs have locked away one of their brightest stars with Cody Weightman re-signing more than 12 months before he was due to fall out of contract.
The Herald Sun can exclusively reveal that Weightman has signed on until 2027 in what is another huge show of faith in premiership coach Luke Beveridge.

The contract was inked on Sunday.

Weightman is the AFL’s No. 1 player for goalkicking accuracy this season with the sharpshooter converting 20.4.

If he has an injury free season he’s making AA during that time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back