Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on Sent, ol' son...

Every germalist knows for a fact that every player dropped from every side wants out 😎

Where else does click bait come from these days? 😁

Imagine actually being an AFL germalist reporting on trades and free agency (look at you Ralph) would be a bloody easy job.

Who's been dropped, who hasn't got a game in the seniors in a few weeks, who is a Victorian playing at an interstate club, which player leaving the club would make a good story.

Make up story, publish that club and/or player's management have said nothing or have not denied it, rinse and repeat for months and months until it doesn't happen during trade period then call it 'a trade that didn't go through'.

Imagine actually being an AFL germalist reporting on trades and free agency (look at you Ralph) would be a bloody easy job.

Who's been dropped, who hasn't got a game in the seniors in a few weeks, who is a Victorian playing at an interstate club, which player leaving the club would make a good story.

Make up story, publish that club and/or player's management have said nothing or have not denied it, rinse and repeat for months and months until it doesn't happen during trade period then call it 'a trade that didn't go through'.
Spot on.

It's an old journo trick to make a speculative (read false) "suggestion" and get the party mentioned to deny it.

Instant "news" 😁

Tim English: 5 years
Bailey Smith: Geelong
Riley Garcia: 2 years
Jason Johannisen: 2 years
Charlie Clarke: Delist
Alex Keath: 1 year rookie
Buku Khamis: 2 year
Dominic Bedendo: 1 year rookie
Taylor Duryea: 1 year
Kelsey Rypstra: 1 year rookie
Lachie McNei: delist

JJ 1 year deals i reckon

Delist Charlie Clarke got to be joking

Delist Charlie Clarke got to be joking
Happy to be proven wrong
But I don't see it with Clarke

We been screaming for a pressure forward and he's barely gotten close to filling that role for us

The only two here that stick out to me are JJ and Chook. I could easily see JJ retiring, at most a one year deal. I'd argue Clarke deserves atleast one more year to prove himself wether that's on the main list or as a rookie is a bigger question.

Personally I'd move on Khamis and Bedendo depending who else is leaving and who we have to replace them.

If I had to Hazard a guess I'd say.
English: 5 years
Smith: Geelong
Garcia: 2 years
JJ: 1 year/Retire
Clarke: 1 year
Keath: 1 year/Retire
Khamis: 1 year
Bedendo: Delist
Duryea: 1 year
Rypstra: 1 year Rookie
Mcniel: delist

I'd let JJ decide on if he thinks he has another year left in the tank, Keath would be determined on If we bring in another tall defender and if Lobb stays as a defender.

We've currently got 43 on the list (including both O'Driscoll and Rypstra), being 37 main list + 6 rookies.

This scenario would mean:
  • Smith, Clarke, Keath, O'Driscoll & Bedendo off the main list (-5, to make 32)
  • Keath, Bedendo onto the rookie list, McNeil off it (+1, to make 7)
A main list needs to be between 36-38 in size and rookie list 4-6 depending on the main list size to a total of 42. So if this was to be correct, we'd need to upgrade at least 1 rookie and have space to bring in a maximum of just 3 new players to the club (by trade or draft).

That's an exceptionally low turnover of players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to be proven wrong

We been screaming for a pressure forward and he's barely gotten close to filling that role for us
Yeah I’m with you. Has all the attitude of Hayden Ballantyne but not showing the talent to back it up. I’d rookie him for another year maybe but that about it. Poor Arty needs to go. Hasn’t progressed either :(

Yeah I’m with you. Has all the attitude of Hayden Ballantyne but not showing the talent to back it up. I’d rookie him for another year maybe but that about it. Poor Arty needs to go. Hasn’t progressed either :(
I hope we trail Arty in defense in the off season
Similar to the JJ shift years back

Delisting Clarke but keeping Bedendo is madness. So is giving JJ two years.

McNeil, Bedendo, O’driscoll are all near certainties to be delisted. Arty close as well. Duryea and Keath good chances to retire as is JJ.

Smith gone, Garcia somewhat a chance and Daniel 50/50 to be on another list. Lobb assessing options.

We have plenty to consider at the end of the year, list movement will again be plentiful.

JJ 2 years?? He’s got paper mache hammy’s. Can barely stay on the park. Surely 1 year or retirement.

Someone on Facebook reckons Garcia has been touring Geelong's facilities. Bevo found out & was furious and will never play him again.

Make of that what you will.

That rumour was reported on here days ago. Has a single media outlet run with it though? If there was even a skerrick of smoke, several germalists would be yelling "fire" with glee.

But all are quiet. Except FB!

Happy to be proven wrong

Do you watch the vfl? He has clearly been our best small. Didn’t do a pre season in first year.
Avengers 5 tackles and a goal and half a game. Not sure what you’re smoking. He is 20.
In saying that. I think since his senior debut been down on conference also. He deserves another contract and I expect him to be playing 10-12 senior games next year and 2026 will be a very good high half fwd in the AFL.
I live close by to one of our coaches and they have high hopes for him. Obviously a few things he needs to get right and hopefully that comes with maturity.
He is well ahead of arty and rypsyta and been equally as effective as McNeil and is 3 or 4 years younger.
Bit of patience old mate.

With Croft and Buss developing as key position players, do we really need to expend a first round draft pick on Barrass?
It's the right question to ask. The trouble is the club doesn't always come up with the obvious answer.

We traded for Lobb in similar circumstances. The argument in favour of getting Lobb was that he was a quality tall forward (who could pinch hit in the ruck) and he'd tide us over until Darcy eventually came good. That turned out to be only a year and now we hear Lobb wants out with more than two years left on his contract.

The argument for Barrass is that we need a quality KPD until Buss and Croft come through. If it's really only for a year or two do we need to pay him $3m?

The arguments in defence of both of these trades is that they help manage risk and that we are supposedly challenging for the top 4. So Barrass could be the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle...

I wasn't really in favour of the Lobb deal and I'm not that keen on Barrass either. But neither trade is totally stupid. So I won't be burning down MWO if it happens.

My guess is Barrass will stay at West Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back