Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like the way Hawthorn has gone about it, made tough list decisions and back on the way up.

Don’t think we need to cut as deep but look at last 5 years we kept players like Schache Jong Crozier Hannan McComb Hayes 1,2 or 3 years too long (in Mccombs case) but Bevo blames covid for that.

Now we have guys like McNeil, Vandermeer Scott and Gardener who are major list blockers and the game has moved past Daniel and Macrae (to an extent).

We seem to be willing to extend English on a major long term contract when he provides limited impact.

It’s List managements time to be brave. We are caught in the middle, neither good or bad, competitive most of the time.

It’s time to make major list decisions and time to move some players on for medium term gain, even if they are under contract and it costs us in the short term paying them to play for another side.

Our W-L record would be at minimum the same with Sweet instead of English. But with the added benefit on being on much less coin.

Point isn’t to rue letting Sweet go but it’s very obvious at this point that Tim “fantasy king” English is an empty calories player in a position you don’t really need to spend on. If we were brave we would realise Baz is much more valuable. Offering Baz 2 years and Tim 5 is stupidity. We’re investing in the wrong area.

Our W-L record would be at minimum the same with Sweet instead of English. But with the added benefit on being on much less coin.

Point isn’t to rue letting Sweet go but it’s very obvious at this point that Tim “fantasy king” English is an empty calories player in a position you don’t really need to spend on. If we were brave we would realise Baz is much more valuable. Offering Baz 2 years and Tim 5 is stupidity. We’re investing in the wrong area.

He has been shit in the odd game. But he's a ruckman that costs 2 bob. Tim has been as shit and on big coin.
Sweet gives midfielders some presence in the middle.

Meanwhile English gives us no presence. Not a bit. It's like having a hat stand contest ruck, a wooden lifeless hat stand. At least the ball might occasionally accidentally hit the hat stand so it gets a tap.

I can cop the English criticism but the hard on for Jordon Sweet is too far. He's been shite all year.

Maybe Sweet been shite alll year and he is paid accordingly as English has been shite all year but not paid accordingly

And when the two shite met there was one who performed to his pay

Don’t think we need to cut as deep but look at last 5 years we kept players like Schache Jong Crozier Hannan McComb Hayes 1,2 or 3 years too long (in Mccombs case) but Bevo blames covid for that.

McComb being on the list for three years too long is impressive considering he was on the list for two years in total.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m really worried about what the club are going to offer Tim English. From my point of view I wouldn’t offer him even the average AFL salary.

It would be below average and only a couple of years and that’s it. If he is able to find something better elsewhere then I would be more than happy to let him go at this point.

Take whatever we can get for him. You never know maybe someone offers a first or a second rounder. I would take anything at this point.

I would be much more worried about keeping him and tying up any of our salary cap in him which then causes us to lose another good player.

Ruck Darcy and Lobb and/or find a decent lump of a big man elsewhere like other clubs have done with players like Xerri, Meek, Pitonet etc…. It’s not worth it. English is the softest ruckman I have ever seen and I’ve waited and watched for 7 years hoping he would have gotten better but he hasn’t. How he won an All Australian is completely beyond me.

When the club announce they have signed him to a long term contract might be the last straw for me.

No disrespect to anyone who has ...

But I've been wrong before.... I can't remember when, but Mrs GJ assures me it's happened. 🤔
So we ARE the same person! Mrs dw says that too (she has a better memory than me).

We are at a minimum 1 hard running Midfield short. Would be looking at what the B Smith offer is if he genuinely wants to stay (have heard 2nd hand this may not be the case but who knows) he will.not get a better midfield opportunity than he would at the dogs.

Get what we can for Tim and top up another Mid.

Get games into Buss and Cleary if we are keeping him. Backlines are critical to premierships.

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would rather let Tim go and use the cash for an improved offer to keep Bailey Smith and gain a cheaper ruckman. Bailey isn’t perfect but we’ve absolutely missed his run through the middle and his best is far better than the potential of most of our side. Ed, Bailey and Treloar is a good mix of pace to go with Bont, Sanders and Libba.

Soldo and Meek appear to be free agents. Wouldn’t mind trading for Moyle, Pittonet or Nankervis either. Think all of those would be better value than a 4-5 year contract with English.

I like the way Hawthorn has gone about it, made tough list decisions and back on the way up.

Now we have guys like McNeil, Vandermeer Scott and Gardener who are major list blockers and the game has moved past Daniel and Macrae (to an extent).

We seem to be willing to extend English on a major long term contract when he provides limited impact.

It’s List managements time to be brave. We are caught in the middle, neither good or bad, competitive most of the time.

It’s time to make major list decisions and time to move some players on for medium term gain, even if they are under contract and it costs us in the short term paying them to play for another side.
Well said. I'm torn on power and our list management. On one hand we seem to keep the majority of our list together and re-sign the good players, but on the other hand agree with you we keep list cloggers too long.

Signing Gardner for 3 years was the height of madness, he should have been given a 1 year contract, there is no way any club had any interest in him whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back