Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't have the same connections anymore at the Dogs, but I do have well-placed contacts at a couple of other clubs, and what I hear from them is contrary to a lot of what is posted here about re-signings. I hear through them that English, Garcia, and even Smith are all expected to sign extensions at the Dogs. Smith is not assured to stay but he is definitely not gone either - he is more likely than not to stay is what I hear (including from a Hawthorn staffer.)

Some of the carry-on here about Marra is juvenile and disrespectful. Every other team in the league would be ecstatic to have him, yet many of our fans show him no respect. It's simply embarrassing.
This would be good if it comes off.

Geelong now seem to be the ones "guaranteed" to land Smith

Time to show your true colours - were you a Jimmy Wongs or a Poons man?
Poons, definitely. Showing my age, I remember my Dad going to Poons with a saucepan, which was filled with fried rice and brought home. I thought it was the best fried rice in the entire world. From what I remember, the contents of Jimmy Wongs' dim sims were always questioned. :p

Poons, definitely. Showing my age, I remember my Dad going to Poons with a saucepan, which was filled with fried rice and brought home. I thought it was the best fried rice in the entire world. From what I remember, the contents of Jimmy Wongs' dim sims were always questioned. :p
The owners who ran Poons now run Diamond Palace in Sunshine. Same great food with some changes here and there for a broader customer base.

I'd be stoked if Baz stays. His play style would be great in our "evolution". He's also been a super nice, genuine guy in the times I've met him. Shame he gets shit for his social media following - good on him!
It'd be great if all the guys we wanted to keep signed on this season. Would be great to put up those that were hoping for an exodus.

Baz to sign a 2+2 contract. Earmarked as the first ever Forges 'ambassador', also will be spruiking Vern Smith Cycles in Ballarat Rd, Maidstone. Children's Palace above the Victoria St underpass throwing in a few bob too.

Club has booked him at the window table at Poon's once a month, and on the door at the Plough too. He's gonna be a busy boy, but raking in the $$$...

Hang on, there's some blokes in white coats knocking at the front door...

Donā€™t know about Vern Smith but Beasley Cycles (Victoria and Buckley) are extremely interested

I saw a post from Geelong supporters on Facebook talking about their age profile next year. They included Bailey Smith in their calculations as if heā€™s already joined.

Been practically saying since my first post that we don't make enough list changes. So to prove my point that we don't compared to others, I thought I'd add it all up and do a ladder to see where we rank over the last 12 years.

Team
List changes​
Yearly Average​
Carlton
123​
10.25​
Essendon
120​
10​
Suns
117​
9.75​
Kangaroos
113​
9.4​
Brisbane
112​
9.3​
Melbourne
111​
9.25​
Sydney
109​
9.1​
Magpies
109​
9.1​
Hawthorn
108​
9​
Saints
107​
8.9​
Geelong
105​
8.75​
Eagles
105​
8.75​
Power
104​
8.7​
Fremantle
102​
8.5​
GWS
98​
8.2​
Richmond
95​
7.9​
Bulldogs
94​
7.8​
Adelaide
91​
7.6​
League Average
106.8​
8.9​

As you can see, we are the 2nd most conservative team in terms of list changes. Richmond to my surprise was 3rd, but I think they are about to move into a high turnover phase given the age of some players and their current ladder position. As for us we are making 1 less change a year compared to the league average.

Why did I do a ladder over the last 12 years and not 8 or 10 do you ask? The reason why I did this is because Power and McCartney have both been our list managers for 6 years. In Power's case he's been here for 6 and a half. So I thought this is a good chance to compare the two.

Has anything changed? The answer to that is not really. Both McCartney and Power have made 47 list changes as it stands right now. But what needs to be said is Power has an extra 2 Cat B rookies that McCartney never had and just took on Rypstra in the mid season draft. So really, we've become more conservative under Power as we are making less changes to our main list.

I'm going to try and break this down further between the two and look at what draft picks we've had what picks we've got and given up at the trade table then table it all up. I also want to look at the average ages we've drafted and traded as it just seems we're drafting and trading older under Power. I think I'll start up a different thread for all this though.

Last edited:
Been practically saying since my first post that we don't make enough list changes. So to prove my point that we don't compared to others, I thought I'd add it all up and do a ladder to see where we rank over the last 12 years.

Team
List changes​
Yearly Average​
Carlton
123​
10.25​
Essendon
120​
10​
Suns
117​
9.75​
Kangaroos
113​
9.4​
Brisbane
112​
9.3​
Melbourne
111​
9.25​
Sydney
109​
9.1​
Magpies
109​
9.1​
Hawthorn
108​
9​
Saints
107​
8.9​
Geelong
105​
8.75​
Eagles
105​
8.75​
Power
104​
8.7​
Fremantle
102​
8.5​
GWS
98​
8.2​
Richmond
95​
7.9​
Bulldogs
94​
7.8​
Adelaide
91​
7.6​
League Average
106.8​
8.9​

As you can see, we are the 2nd most conservative team in terms of list changes. Richmond to my surprise was 3rd, but I think they are about to move into a high turnover phase given the age of some players and their current ladder position. As for us we are making 1 less change a year compared to the league average.

Why did I do a ladder over the last 12 years and not 8 or 10 do you ask? The reason why I did this is because Power and McCartney have both been our list managers for 6 years. In Power's case he's been here for 6 and a half. So I thought this is a good chance to compare the two.

Has anything changed? The answer to that is not really. Both McCartney and Power have made 47 list changes as it stands right now. But what needs to be said is Power has an extra 2 Cat B rookies that McCartney never had and just took on Rypstra in the mid season draft. So really, we've become more conservative under Power as we are making less changes to our main list.

I'm going to try and break this down further between the two and look at what draft picks we've had what picks we've got and given up at the trade table then table it all up. I also want to look at the average ages we've drafted and traded as it just seems we're drafting and trading older under Power. I think I'll start up a different thread for all this though.
Great work! Look forward to seeing your findings once you've delved deeper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team
List changes​
Yearly Average​
Carlton
123​
10.25​
Essendon
120​
10​
Suns
117​
9.75​
Kangaroos
113​
9.4​
Brisbane
112​
9.3​
Melbourne
111​
9.25​
Sydney
109​
9.1​
Magpies
109​
9.1​
Hawthorn
108​
9​
Saints
107​
8.9​
Geelong
105​
8.75​
Eagles
105​
8.75​
Power
104​
8.7​
Fremantle
102​
8.5​
GWS
98​
8.2​
Richmond
95​
7.9​
Bulldogs
94​
7.8​
Adelaide
91​
7.6​
League Average
106.8​
8.9​

All this data tells me is that there is minimal correlation between turn over and premiership success.

All this data tells me is that there is minimal correlation between turn over and premiership success.
I took from it that you should be aiming for somewhere in between say an average of 8-9. Obviously age demographic of those brought in and delisted does have an effect but the initial stats show as I expected that its a detriment to cut too deep ala roos and blues causing an agressive bottoming out, but also too few changes causes teams to stagnate like Crows and Dogs.
The only exception I see to this is the Tigers who also had fewer list changes but were able to keep a premiership list relatively untouched whilst toping up, the list changes will naturally be deeper this year and next though.

My recollection is that Kelly wanted to leave the Cats after one season, but that they held him to the second, and final, year of his contract. Following that, he was traded to WC.

That is correct.

The trade amount was so large due to Freo also being interested and WC wanting to secure him.

I would ask for the same from Geelolongā€¦.. they set that precedent.

Anyone find it interesting that others who got their ACLs after Baz are starting to return or train for a return. Surely Baz has a chance over the next month or two?
Who is coming back?

I think itā€™s flat out ridiculous that someone like McStay is returning to action 7 months after an ACL injury. That just seems absurd.

We as a club have had a significant amount of ACL reinjuries so I donā€™t want to see him this season. Libba, Clay, Roarke, McLean, Bruce off the top of my head. Conservative is the way.

Who is coming back?

I think itā€™s flat out ridiculous that someone like McStay is returning to action 7 months after an ACL injury. That just seems absurd.

We as a club have had a significant amount of ACL reinjuries so I donā€™t want to see him this season. Libba, Clay, Roarke, McLean, Bruce off the top of my head. Conservative is the way.
Doubtful we see him ever again in our colours

Who is coming back?

It was reported last night by Mitch Cleary that Docherty is a chance to play throughout the finals series.

Although from memory similar conversations were had about Bob Murphy potentially being ready on grand final day in 2016, but the risk wasn't worth it.

It was reported last night by Mitch Cleary that Docherty is a chance to play throughout the finals series.

Although from memory similar conversations were had about Bob Murphy potentially being ready on grand final day in 2016, but the risk wasn't worth it.
Docherty injured his in the opening round of the season. Again, that is just a ridiculous time frame.

He may be willing to take the high risk given his age, Blues finals hopes and previous knee history but itā€™s not something we should consider.

Docherty injured his in the opening round of the season. Again, that is just a ridiculous time frame.

He may be willing to take the high risk given his age, Blues finals hopes and previous knee history but itā€™s not something we should consider.
Agreed, which is why Bailey Smith has been listed as "season" on the injury report, whereas Docherty is listed as "indefinite" on Carltons. Baz won't play in 2024 (even I had thought it may be a possibility earlier in the year - but common sense is that he simply can not).

Alright this is the list of the 8 premiers in that 12 year period. I also added a basic breakdown of what each club did. Iā€™ll try to break it down further in the future as I am curious to know how we compare against them in the draft and trade period.

TeamsTrades/Free AgencyNational Draft PicksRookie PicksMid Season PicksTotal List Changes
Melbourne
43​
41​
23​
4​
111​
Sydney
20​
47​
35​
7​
109​
Collingwood
33​
44​
26​
6​
109​
Hawthorn
34​
39​
28​
7​
108​
Geelong
26​
49​
28​
2​
105​
West Coast
26​
48​
26​
5​
105​
Richmond
22​
43​
23​
7​
95​
Bulldogs
28​
46​
17​
3​
94​

The majority of them are making around 1 more change than us a year. The obvious odd one out here is Richmond and I think theyā€™ve made a mistake recently. In the last 5 years they made just 34 changes which is a low number. The problem was they thought they were still in a premiership window when they really weren't the last few years and sold the farm for Tarranto and Hopper. The highest draft pick they had in the last two drafts was pick 40 so you can understand why they didnā€™t cut that deep. They will surely have to this year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back